Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Sold the GT4. Got a worthy replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Sold the GT4. Got a worthy replacement!

And it’s…another GT4!

That’s right, riding on GT4 #2 as several others have done here, for much the same reason. Long story short, my first one (SBM) was purchased brand new (at MSRP), however it had been a customer car and spec’ed minimally (hence sans buckets). It was a case of ‘beggars can’t be choosers’ as I had to make it to the dealer in 45 mins upon initial notice to claim it, as-is, where is, or it was a goner.

Since then a search for LWBS ensued, but it quickly became apparent such will be quite painful. Chances of securing these through a totaled car, or a swap with a fellow member (at a ‘reasonable’ premium) would be remote. Tried other creative options (offering healthy rewards for customers with open orders that wanted to sofas to switch to LWBSs and then swap), but that too proved tricky to execute. Having been through a similar experience with my RS 4 (sourcing genuine ROW Factory Recaro buckets from abroad) which lasted 4 years and loads of trepidation - I was determined to not go through such agony again.

As luck would have it, a brand new GR GT4 became available with all the options I wanted (LWBS, SC, full leather, deviated stitching) and none that I didn’t (roof zit, leather fuse box…you get the idea). With a trade-in and seamless transaction, it was a no brainer. Can’t be any happier!

Several observations:

1) The GT 4 market remains healthy. Got full MSRP as trade-in (and beneficial tax effect). Funnily enough, in the spirit of being a good RLer, I looked up several WTB threads and PM’ed a bunch of folks that had posted, offering the car at the same terms. Seems people wanted too good of a deal (well below MSRP)…

2) If one was really serious about getting a GT 4 (and didn’t live under a rock), they would have secured one by now (case in point – I had no allocations prior, yet sourced 2). Yes we’ve seen a lot of WTB threads, but as my experience has showcased, a lot of that interest quickly fades when push comes to shove. Which explains all the available ‘customer’ cars that now dealers happily sell for healthy premiums.

3) LWBS – not going to start another heated discussion, but to me at least they are worth the ‘hype’ and every penny. I love the glove-like snug feel and completes the GT4 experience. Yes, they can be a PITA for ingress/egress, but willing to live with that as pros outweigh the sole con. It literally gave me a further appreciation for the car and the experience was transformative (I don’t want to say the sofas were quite like “throwing a hot dog down a hallway”, but let’s just say with the buckets it's now a case of “toight, toight like a toiger”).

4) Have the Michelins on the GR and Dunlops prior on the SBM. Call me crazy, but I find the former more compliant and comfortable for every-day use. Haven’t tracked either so cant opine how each do when pushed to the limit, but despite the buckets I find the ride actually more ‘supple’ (relatively speaking) with the Michelins. Perhaps something wasn’t quite right on the blue car as on occasion I would top out on road undulations, but not the case now.

Don’t have many pics yet of the new stallion, but here is one of the ‘swap’ circa 1AM at a desolate gas station. Off to a good home she goes! And off to another break-in and test of self-restraint for me!
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2016, 12:45 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats on finding the midlifecrisis red with all your options. Couldn't agree more on the LWBS.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!
Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C5driver
Congrats on finding the midlifecrisis red with all your options. Couldn't agree more on the LWBS.
Hah, thx! I actually always wanted a red P-car, since my teenage yrs so I'd like to think of it as a kids dream come true

Plus, as much as I liked the SBM, 3 of the other stablemates are blue and was a case of too many shades of blue under one roof
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Good story. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the new car!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Nice looking car with a good option list. Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

I was just posting in 993 forum trying to fulfill my dream of getting my first new Porsche.

$100k GT4s in Canada are all listing as CPO at $150k+ with no wiggle room. Too heavy premium for me. Not sure if people are actually paying this though. Maybe I'm not asking them hard enough.

If you have tips, please help a newbie
Old 08-01-2016, 01:52 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

People were seriously asking for your GT4 and under MSRP?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:26 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles did you put on the SBM?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Good story. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the new car!
Appreciate the kind words!
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Nice looking car with a good option list. Enjoy!
Thx!
Originally Posted by b5audia4
Congrats!

I was just posting in 993 forum trying to fulfill my dream of getting my first new Porsche.

$100k GT4s in Canada are all listing as CPO at $150k+ with no wiggle room. Too heavy premium for me. Not sure if people are actually paying this though. Maybe I'm not asking them hard enough.

Yeah, seems the Canadian market is even fiercer. Perhaps worth exploring getting a US car and importing it, though the FX rate is tough from a CAD standpoint. Perseverance and patience is key - hallmark in both my searches!

Originally Posted by konaforever
People were seriously asking for your GT4 and under MSRP?
Yup. I see how everyone wants a great deal, but one also has to be realistic. At $89K MSRP (then just adding tax) and getting a $3K value in Suntek PPF + tint as part of the deal is beyond reasonable IMO. The dealer easily agreed

Originally Posted by otisdog
How many miles did you put on the SBM?
Just past break in, 1,2xx. I hadn't even come close to red line!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No they're selling for $150k. Man, I'd be tempted if someone came at me with a wad of $160 for a straight switch to a 991.2 gt3.
Originally Posted by b5audia4
Congrats!

Old 08-01-2016, 05:22 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman
No they're selling for $150k. Man, I'd be tempted if someone came at me with a wad of $160 for a straight switch to a 991.2 gt3.
Ouch
Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats! Glad it all worked out. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:24 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Awesome. Your red one is better.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:39 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

OP, you have excellent taste in color, GR is awesome .

Congrats

Quick Reply: Sold the GT4. Got a worthy replacement!