Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

TPC or Tarrett toe links?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:51 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Their principle is sound, but I agree, we need more empirical data that is apples to apples.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
This. I will buy the first aftermarket altered geometry toe link that has data showing a significant reduction in dynamic toe, whether made by TPC or a competitor. No data exists yet. I have Tarett links for now (just for camber).

Draw it up! Should be easy in something like solidworks, no?
Originally Posted by Mech33
Jury is still out on if the offset TPC link is really doing anything. Geometrically it is not obvious that it has any significant impact, and TPC won't share any real toe curve data over suspension compression to prove it.

I'm on the fringe of just drawing a suspension model myself to show the theoretical toe vs offset impact over compression.
===> bn mech33 and keith, the PhD brains will have it plotted no prob., can't wait to see it

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I think Mike knows someone will copy his design and charge less. Before that happens I'm sure he would like to recoup his investment in time and resources.
even if they dont show data, one can buy the product and 3d scan it. rapid prototype it then send over seas to make them fast. before you critize oversea manufacturing, the asian can make these in way way higher tolerance than western mkt, they dont chose not to due to $. but to not release data for fear of being copied makes no sense.

Originally Posted by fastauto123
I am leaning towards the TPC but not sure. For me, camber adjustment is everything. I am looking to get as aggressive as I can up front with a similar balance in the rear.
if you just want camber, i can assure you with tarrett and any other aftermkt arms, you get easily -3.5 with no caster issues.

finally there's theoretical benefit and actual benefit. most mortals cannot benefit much from theoretical benefit.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

even if they dont show data, one can buy the product and 3d scan it. rapid prototype it then send over seas to make them fast. before you critize oversea manufacturing, the asian can make these in way way higher tolerance than western mkt, they dont chose not to due to $. but to not release data for fear of being copied makes no sense.
I'm sorry but I didn't imply the part being copied and produced in Asia. Mike doesn't need to release any form of intellectual property for the part to be copied. It can, as stated, simply be scanned. And if Mike developed the part by seat of the pants testing and it works then good for Mike.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:35 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My guess is TPC doesn't actually have the quantitative toe data to share. Sharing the data would only increase sales and would have no impact on enabling copycats. I could see them doing some trial and error based on some assumptions and being convinced they could feel the differences on track with the offset. Not enough data for me, but I welcome the information and discussion should it become available.
I agree. Showing data will make your product stronger.

Competition ... well they can buy a set scan it and it's good to go.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

FWIW the Tarett toe links they're selling are ERP (look at the part number). ERP are made locally here in Socal by Cary Eisenlohr. He VERY much knows what he's doing. Extremely high quality.

What I'm trying to understand about the TPC part, so they bumped the car to measure the toe change over the suspension swing and found the ideal spacing and build a bushing for that?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:50 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
FWIW the Tarett toe links they're selling are ERP (look at the part number). ERP are made locally here in Socal by Cary Eisenlohr. He VERY much knows what he's doing. Extremely high quality.

What I'm trying to understand about the TPC part, so they bumped the car to measure the toe change over the suspension swing and found the ideal spacing and build a bushing for that?
The toe links that Tarett sells individually and just calls "Toe Links" are made by ERP. The "Rear Toe Control Arms", sold as a pair, are made by Tarett. At least according to someone from Tarett who just called me to answer another question I had about them.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Tough crowd... I assure you all that I have seen my boss, Michael Levitas, installed different design toe links, align, bump steer test and then track test our shop's GT4 over and over until he was satisfied and then he brought in Randy Pobst to confirm. He wrote the numbers down in his secret spiral notebook that we don't get to see. He shares the same passion in achieving the best result as everyone of you here with type-A personality. Certain things he doesn't want to disclose as a race team owner and engineer. We don't just sell car parts, we are passionate about innovations and making improvements. TPC GT4 rear toe links cost less than a set of track brake pads. To those who believe in us, if the product sucks I will shave my head run down use US Route 1 and never post on rennlist again!

There's another thread today sort of along the same line... here's my response from that thread-

For what its worth, I am writing this post as unbiased as I possibly can. There are a number of rear toe links options available on the market for the GT4 from different companies. These companies have been designing/making/marketing/selling/supporting Porsche suspension components for a long time. I work for one of these companies, and I have respect for the other companies as I know how much work it takes to go from an idea to a finished product and then provide support to each user. Back to the toe links- Any of these links will provide the necessary range of adjustment for static toe with increased rear negative camber. The reality is if the car's is not experiencing rear wiggle caused by the rear lifting during braking then any of these links will do the job just the same. And if the wiggle doesn't bother the driver enough then any of these links will do.

What is happening when the front dives/rear lifts during hard braking is the rear toe goes outward. How much toe outward depending on the amount the rear suspension is lifted from the static ride height. For example, if we have static rear toe setting of only 1.0mm of toe-in at factory ride height, with 25mm of peak rear suspension lift during hard braking, at this moment the rear toe is no longer toe'd in, it will be toe'd out. This is commonly refer to bump steer or toe steer(if you don't know what bump steer or toe steer is you will find the info by doing a google search). The result of this momentary rear toe-out during braking is corner entry oversteer.

Race shops and savvy enthusiasts have different approaches to prevents this corner entry oversteer; more rear static rear toe-in can be dialed in to anticipate for the amount momentary toe out, use stiffer springs to reduce rate of movement and total movement, use DSC module to achieve same as stiffer springs, use stickier tires to increase grip, use higher preload and decel ramp in differential to clam the wiggle, or use rear toe links with offset bushings to fix the problem at the root rather than treating the problem with the other approaches or a combination of the above(some of the above have side effects so instead do doing a lot of one thing, a combination of smaller amount of different things is usually better). Again, that is "IF" the car/driver is experiencing the corner entry oversteer. If not, then any adjustable rear toe links will achieve the range of adjustment necessary for increased rear camber.

One thing that I will guarantee is that offset bushings will significantly decrease the amount of bumpsteer when the static ride height is at/or near factory spec. Whether or not every car/driver will benefit from this feature depends on the rest of the setup of the car and the amount of braking and the tire grip. We felt the improvement on our GT4- we can drive the car deeper into brake zones with more rear stability.

In summary, I don't think there is a best set of adjustable rear toe links for everyone. But there is a best set on the market to match the setup approach for the each's car and to meet other criteria of the buyer such as ease of adjustability, material of construction, source of the spherical rod ends, availability for spare replacement parts, level of tech support, and price point.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
One thing that I will guarantee is that offset bushings will significantly decrease the amount of bumpsteer when the static ride height is at/or near factory spec. Whether or not every car/driver will benefit from this feature depends on the rest of the setup of the car and the amount of braking and the tire grip. We felt the improvement on our GT4- we can drive the car deeper into brake zones with more rear stability.
Great! Please share some data to back up these claims (if you are willing). Personally, I don't trust "you can feel it" when it comes to car mods.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 PM
PLC
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also a big fan of data. While I don't have GT4 dimensions, I can at least run a generic analysis on different toe link attachment points. Standard on the right, offset bushing on the left.

For the case I ran, a 1 inch inner position change from the offset bushing (probably more than the actual change) causes no more than 1-2% difference in toe from the standard bushing. That 1-2% is a slightly flatter curve with less toe out under suspension travel, so it is in the right direction, but probably not enough on its own to cause a significant reduction in oversteer.

(wheel travel in mm)

Obviously there may be compounding effects, so I'd be very curious to hear suggestions or see other data.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Nice approach. This type of result is what I would expect from such a suspension geometry (a small offset creating a egligible effect on dynamic toe).

Do you have access to a GT4? If not I could take some measurements on mine to update the dimensions of your model to get toe changes specific to the exact GT4 rear suspension.

Originally Posted by PLC
I'm also a big fan of data. While I don't have GT4 dimensions, I can at least run a generic analysis on different toe link attachment points. Standard on the right, offset bushing on the left.

For the case I ran, a 1 inch inner position change from the offset bushing (probably more than the actual change) causes no more than 1-2% difference in toe from the standard bushing. That 1-2% is a slightly flatter curve with less toe out under suspension travel, so it is in the right direction, but probably not enough on its own to cause a significant reduction in oversteer.

(wheel travel in mm)

Obviously there may be compounding effects, so I'd be very curious to hear suggestions or see other data.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

Looking at the TPC photos of the toe link, I would estimate that the offset is much closer to 3/8" than 1".
Old 07-16-2016, 09:50 PM
PLC
3rd Gear

Do you have access to a GT4? If not I could take some measurements on mine to update the dimensions of your model to get toe changes specific to the exact GT4 rear suspension.
I should be able to measure on a GT4 next weekend. If you're interested in a better simulation sooner than that, I'm happy to re-run it any time with provided measurements.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Looking at the TPC photos of the toe link, I would estimate that the offset is much closer to 3/8" than 1".
After a more detailed look, I'd be inclined to agree - 25 mm was just a nice number that made a visible difference in the geometry. I'll definitely update that when I improve the rest of the dimensions.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 PM
rraustin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman

Just measured the TPC offset links that are sitting in a box waiting to be installed and the offset is 0.475" greater then the non-offset versions.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:08 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will either of these toe links work with 19" wheels?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by PLC

After a more detailed look, I'd be inclined to agree - 25 mm was just a nice number that made a visible difference in the geometry. I'll definitely update that when I improve the rest of the dimensions.
Awesome, thanks! This is why rennlist is so great!!!!

Quick Reply: TPC or Tarrett toe links?