Sponsored by: APR

My GT4 Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:41 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My GT4 Initial Impressions

My oldest son and I picked up their car in Zuffenhausen this past Monday, and it was an incredible experience. We've been driving in Europe and will wrap our trip up Friday. Already passed the break-in of 1000km and today can start really revving it on the way to Como, Italy.

Car has a great engine/exhaust sound. Steering is firm, precise,and has feel--something some electric systems lack--like my Audi S4. Not as lively as my previous 2010 turbo, but seems to telegraph what needs to be known; probably 60% or more of the "noise" the turbo's wheel dictated.

EXTREMELY flat cornering. I've never been in something so composed in the turns. No drama--just turn the wheel. Old-school 911 fans might find it too easy and boring‼️😂 There's a reason why they add rear-wheel steer and PDCC to 911s, and there's a reason they don't have to in this mid-engine chassis. There is none of that "taking a set" I felt sometimes in the 911 as the rear settled. The bucket seats are amazing; incredibly cool-looking and comfortable (for me) for hours. Got to "plop" in them though, so the side won't get damaged over time. Stick shift is similar in throw to the turbo but heavier, tighter, and smoother. Clutch pedal is heavier too. Getting the car into first gear is easier than in the turbo. It's engagement point seems smoother.

My previous Porsches were pre-owned and were incredible. It feels good, though, to have personally selected this car's build, and not difficult with the GT4's limited (for a Porsche) options. Love the aluminum pedals...

Top speed I had it up to in Germany was about 140mph and it was very stable at that speed.

I remember my 2006 C4S with the X51 powerkit with similar horse power, feeling quicker. Maybe it's because I haven't really gunned it yet. This car ain't the 500hp turbo...but I prefer the guttural sound and the need to rev it. We'll see if I regret the trade-in decision down the road, but I doubt it.

The car looks BADASS. I prefer the shape of the 911, and always loved the view showing its "hips" from the side view mirror. The Cayman has those hips too, but more angular. Having loved the 911's looks forever, I still prefer its overall body design, but for a mid-engine car it looks great and will stand the test of time like its older brother. We're in Monaco now and one thing that is abundantly clear is how quickly Ferraris age. I walked right past an early California and had to look again--it was like a Corvette (no offense to the corvette, mind you)! That being said, I've now seen a few F12s in person here, and they might be a modern-day Daytona. Incredibly handsome with insane presence.

Rant over!
Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Enjoy the car and the trip with your son! Sounds like huge fun...

And you can easily solve the dilemma: GT4 + older 911 make a great combo in the garage.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:55 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Enjoy Monaco, hopefully you get the chance to visit the aquarium. It might sound cheesy, but it rivals Monterey. Feel free to post some pictures, it is always fun to "tag along".

In regards to the car, if you wanted to give it a bit more grunt. I will be here!

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 06-29-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

So lucky to get to experience that in a GT4...I'm jealous.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

You're brave driving the GT4 around the roads at Lake Como. Arguably the scariest road I have ever driven was the road from Como to Bellagio!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:27 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:46 PM
TheGhost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen....
Old 07-04-2016, 05:58 PM
docfink
Pro

Talking Okay, here's proof it really happened!

Here are just several pics I took from delivery day. I hadn't seen any 911Rs in person until this trip, and certainly had never seen a black one, not even in print or online. I believe that's an Irish Green GT3RS; a throwback color on a super modern car.

The fastest I had the car up to was nearly 140mph (making the picture my soon took a bit jumpy), but on the Autobahn 110-120mph seemed to be the average in the left lane as it was traffic limited. It took me a bit to get used to driving at those speeds, but the car made it easy.

I couldn't be happier with the matt black wheels and yellow stitching. The GT4, even with its (relative to other Porsches) minimal amount of option offerings feels uniquely mine, although it's likely that someone out there has the exact same car.
Attached Images       
Old 07-05-2016, 10:04 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow! Amazing pics! That 911R looks sick!
Love the AP as well. I have the older Diver version that didn't have the yellow markings. That matches up well with our car's interior for sure
Old 07-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Farani
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics! Looks like a fantastic experience. Love the R in black with the ghost rocker panel graphic. I know it's basically a waste of money, but every time I see the steering column wrapped in leather, I regret not getting it done on mine.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 PM
docfink
Pro

Originally Posted by Farani
Great pics! Looks like a fantastic experience. Love the R in black with the ghost rocker panel graphic. I know it's basically a waste of money, but every time I see the steering column wrapped in leather, I regret not getting it done on mine.
When I first read about the leather-encased steering column, I too thought it was ridiculous, but then I saw pics. C

onsidering I'm looking in its direction so often, it's not a waste of money to me, but really enhances the interior and makes it unique.

Quick Reply: My GT4 Initial Impressions