Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Wow..Pete Stout leaves Panorama...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

I hope he's going to Roundel, that magazine is embarrassing compared to Panorama.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I hope he's going to Roundel, that magazine is embarrassing compared to Panorama.
I remember members telling me that we should strive to be as good as Roundel. My competitive side made me tell them we were going to make it better.

The Porsche world is small in some respects, but large enough in others to support a wide variety of media choices. I don't know what Pete's next step is but I'd be surprised if it wasn't Porsche or at least automotive related. I'm sure he'll be a success at whatever he does.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

+1, Panorama > Roundel by a mile, and then some!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:45 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I, too, was seriously bummed to learn of Pete's leaving Panorama, which he utterly transformed into a keeper (along with all my issues of Evo and the late, great Sports Car International). One can only hope that he'll stay in the field and continue to share his impressions of new Porsches.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Received the current Roundel this week - it went straight into the recycle bin. Used to read it cover to cover...
Old 06-08-2016, 04:05 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I love about Panorama is the variety of Porsche topics covered each month - their history runs deep in both street and track. Roundel seems to run dry with their commentary on BMW related content and even had to review a Porsche one month. That's a clear sign to me that they don't have enough BMW content to even keep themselves interested.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are now 4 threads.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 AM
darreldore
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Pete Stout

It really bothers me to my core when some person even in the Porsche or Volkswagen ranks make a political move against a truth telling journalist of the caliber of Pete Stout. I have no doubt that is what happened. Maybe we'll learn who and can help them leave. Pete was myPeter Egan substitute. I love them both and their work!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by darreldore
It really bothers me to my core when some person even in the Porsche or Volkswagen ranks make a political move against a truth telling journalist of the caliber of Pete Stout. I have no doubt that is what happened. Maybe we'll learn who and can help them leave. Pete was myPeter Egan substitute. I love them both and their work!
Wait, what?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by darreldore
It really bothers me to my core when some person even in the Porsche or Volkswagen ranks make a political move against a truth telling journalist of the caliber of Pete Stout. I have no doubt that is what happened.
Only seeing this so quickly because I’m a GT4 nut (was just lingering in the garage a little too long while taking out the trash) and because I am a hopeless RL surfer. And the GT4 Forum has been my gateway drug for some time now, having finally wrested me away from the 997 GT2/GT3 forum. For the most part. Anyway...

Don't worry. Nothing like that happened.

While colleagues tell me some car manufacturers actually do play the game that way, kudos are due to PAG and PCNA for their professionalism on the media front. Not once in 18 years did I feel pressure to write something I couldn't put my name on. Had I, I would've either pulled a Harris v. Ferrari or found a new line of work. Porsche puts its products out there to be tested as is without excuses or teams of engineers to tweak them, and it has the confidence in its cars to take the heat or praise as it comes—so long as said criticism is intelligent and valid. Professionalism is a two-way street, after all…
Old 09-30-2016, 03:34 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that you have resurfaced. I'm wondering what response you might have publicly or in private about my bold guess as to where you may have landed.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:23 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLT951
Glad that you have resurfaced. I'm wondering what response you might have publicly or in private about my bold guess as to where you may have landed.
The mythical Mooty, and a few others I suppose, can confirm I've been on Rennlist all along, being just a car guy, since returning from Maui. Took a Weissach chassis engineer for a getaway in the old haunts, and did a little piece for flatsixes.com, as well...so been keeping at least a toe or five in the game.

As to your bold guess, I can confirm that I'm not working for the funny man. At least, not yet!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Pete,
Sounds like a good decompression.

Sharkwerks just got back their regeared and LSD'd GT4 gearbox. Maybe you can be the first writer to get a comparo done since you've got your car as a stocker to go up against it. Sell the article to the highest bidder.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Hey Pete,
Sounds like a good decompression.

Sharkwerks just got back their regeared and LSD'd GT4 gearbox. Maybe you can be the first writer to get a comparo done since you've got your car as a stocker to go up against it. Sell the article to the highest bidder.

Funny you should mention that. Got an interesting text last night, with a pic of a 981 transmission.

The more I drive my GT4, the more I dislike the powertrain. May be a CA gas thing, but the power band is gappy and dead under 5000 rpm—and the gears still suck. 84 in second and 122 in third mean there's no reason to shift, and no great gear for a lot of slowER turns.

So I am more than a bit interested in a wake-up plan.

pete
Old 09-30-2016, 02:29 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 235 Posts

Hey Pete,

Your articles on the GT4 where some of the best auto journalism ever.

We look forward to reading any new essays you care to post on Rennlist.

Best wishes for your next cool gig!

Matt

Quick Reply: Wow..Pete Stout leaves Panorama...