Sponsored by: APR

A BBS track wheel is on the way

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
BBS is doing the 10.5", I'll check with them on ETA, summer in Germany is full of vacations and shutdowns.

If you like we can sponsor a group buy and get the first sets that hit the shores out to everyone!
And what is the proposed offset?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
not all 265 will fit
265 R7 fits
265 cup 2 wont fit
i tried it physically on my car.
race teams run 18" not 19"
Just to make sure, the 265 cup2 that doesn't fit is 265/35-19 on a 9X19 +50 wheel? Where does it hit?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Would love to see them increase the concavity on the rear wheels. The picture below look like they are the same or similar face depth design as the fronts.
If you are referring to the pics of my car, that is because I am running the 9.5" front, which is more concave than the 9" front and hence is similar to my rears (rear still have a bit more concavity)

BBS will make them as concave as they can for the fitment and strength of the wheels. Offset plays a big role in the concaveness, for example on the 19x12 we had made for the GT3, Jamie's rears are more concave than my rears because his car is a widebody and mine is a narrowbody, hence requiring a different offset. GT4 is obviously different than this, hence why I say BBS will do as much as they can given what they are working with.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:52 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Just to make sure, the 265 cup2 that doesn't fit is 265/35-19 on a 9X19 +50 wheel? Where does it hit?
This^

Was it a 265/35/19 that wouldn't clear?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,635 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
"A" set of wheels? Min 2 sets required to win the de.
Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
BBS is doing the 10.5", I'll check with them on ETA, summer in Germany is full of vacations and shutdowns.

If you like we can sponsor a group buy and get the first sets that hit the shores out to everyone!
two sets lmao.
each one of my cars have 4 sets of wheels WITH tires mounted ready to go. dirty wheel come off car when i wash, clean set goes on, wash dirty set when i get to it.

jamie. thx for the hardwork. as is, i have 4 sets of bbs and let's just say about 50 tires for the GT4 at the moment ;-)

i HATE waiting.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:01 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

mooty, what front offset you end up running? 48?

To the other questions about why cup2 won't fit - 265/35 Cup2 is nearly half an inch wider in section than R7. It's possible a ET53 would work, but hairs....
Old 06-02-2016, 01:30 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
If you are referring to the pics of my car, that is because I am running the 9.5" front, which is more concave than the 9" front and hence is similar to my rears (rear still have a bit more concavity)

BBS will make them as concave as they can for the fitment and strength of the wheels. Offset plays a big role in the concaveness, for example on the 19x12 we had made for the GT3, Jamie's rears are more concave than my rears because his car is a widebody and mine is a narrowbody, hence requiring a different offset. GT4 is obviously different than this, hence why I say BBS will do as much as they can given what they are working with.
Got it, thanks. That's a bummer looks-wise, though... the spokes on the BBS on your car are almost completely parallel to the plane of the wheel face. All the "concavity" is just right in the center around the bolt circle. There is a huge amount of caliper clearance in there for them to do much more aggressive face designs more similar to the 991 GT3 OEM rear wheel, but it would require they do a custom wheel design which probably doesn't make financial sense for them, I'd guess...
Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 AM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
mooty, what front offset you end up running? 48?

To the other questions about why cup2 won't fit - 265/35 Cup2 is nearly half an inch wider in section than R7. It's possible a ET53 would work, but hairs....
So the clearance issue up front will be on the inside of the wheel? If so, I might still be able to adjust from a et 53 to something more aggressive. Or run a 5mm spacer. If I go more aggressive, what do you guys think et50, et48?

Please let me know your thoughts as my wheels are gonna go into production soon
Old 06-02-2016, 02:15 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Got it, thanks. That's a bummer looks-wise, though... the spokes on the BBS on your car are almost completely parallel to the plane of the wheel face. All the "concavity" is just right in the center around the bolt circle. There is a huge amount of caliper clearance in there for them to do much more aggressive face designs more similar to the 991 GT3 OEM rear wheel, but it would require they do a custom wheel design which probably doesn't make financial sense for them, I'd guess...
It's that way for strength reasons, clearance reasons, and to be period correct to the 997 gt3 cup monoblock.

While we could of had BBS make them way more concave, we also cared about being able to abuse the wheel on track without any issues. These wheels actually have more concavity than the gt3 cup monoblocks they were modeled after. Also my fronts have more concavity than the 19" rear centerlock monoblock they made a bit back.

Any real track wheel is not going to have substantial concavity in comparison to "looks" wheels.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
It's that way for strength reasons, clearance reasons, and to be period correct to the 997 gt3 cup monoblock.

While we could of had BBS make them way more concave, we also cared about being able to abuse the wheel on track without any issues. These wheels actually have more concavity than the gt3 cup monoblocks they were modeled after. Also my fronts have more concavity than the 19" rear centerlock monoblock they made a bit back.

Any real track wheel is not going to have substantial concavity in comparison to "looks" wheels.
What is it about the concavity that reduces the strength? It's not obvious to me why the strength can't be met with such a design.

Some great examples (at least to me) are the OEM 991 GT3 rear wheels, and the 991 Cup Car wheels. These both seem to work out pretty well on track. Rear caliper clearance looks huge even on the OEM GT4 wheels (which have some decent concavity to them).

Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

The 991 cup wheel is more of a v spoke than a y spoke. I get what you are looking for, but these aren't apples to apples comparisons. The cup monoblock we had made could never have the concavity of the 991 cup wheel because of the spoke design and overall wheel design itself. I do not have the specifics from a design perspective as to why it is stronger, but I trust BBS decision when we asked them for max concavity with this design wheel without compromising strength.

Last edited by bmwtye; 06-02-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply: A BBS track wheel is on the way