Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Beginner track driver & GT4 owner wants to get on track....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016 | 09:26 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
That's true on all of the above and I also told the instructor if anything happens
it's on me. I also went for a ride in the instructor's car which was nice too.

-Jason
Jason - it's very cool that you would take that pressure off the instructor and offer up front to bear costs if something happens. I would still decline driving someone else's car on track because I wouldn't enjoy the experience. I'd be too worried about something going wrong, and I wouldn't be able to relax. That's me. I know plenty of instructors who love getting behind the wheel of a student's car and they don't hold back much (if any).

The only time I've ever driven someone else's car on track is when we used to have private track nights where a handful of us would rent the track for four hours, and I essentially had the track to myself, and I knew and trusted everyone else sharing the track.

The other exception is instructing for XtremeXperience where I drove their Lambos, Ferraris, GT3, R8, McLaren, etc but of course I was paid, those were paced laps (although we always drove the cars for warm up in the morning unpaced but they did ask us to be "reasonable").
Old 05-19-2016 | 09:39 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Jason - it's very cool that you would take that pressure off the instructor and offer up front to bear costs if something happens. I would still decline driving someone else's car on track because I wouldn't enjoy the experience. I'd be too worried about something going wrong, and I wouldn't be able to relax. That's me. I know plenty of instructors who love getting behind the wheel of a student's car and they don't hold back much (if any).

The only time I've ever driven someone else's car on track is when we used to have private track nights where a handful of us would rent the track for four hours, and I essentially had the track to myself, and I knew and trusted everyone else sharing the track.

The other exception is instructing for XtremeXperience where I drove their Lambos, Ferraris, GT3, R8, McLaren, etc but of course I was paid, those were paced laps (although we always drove the cars for warm up in the morning unpaced but they did ask us to be "reasonable").
The instructor did ask if I was sure several times. There wasn't many people on the track and also it was Raceway Park of the Midlands where if you go off anywhere you can't hit anything..... Well I did hear a GT3 went off in the only spot where there is guard rail, by the drag strip and it wasn't pretty for the poor car.

It's a great beginner track. I'm going back up there on the 27th.

-Jason

Last edited by Warehouse33.net; 05-23-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2016 | 11:18 AM
bhk1004
Racer

First time tracking is a bunch of fun. Alignment and brake fluid is all you need.

First couple of track days your head will be spinning anyways from trying to keep and eye on the towers, learning technique, course, and faster cars around you while your instructor is talking to you. Takes awhile to get everything sync'd up.

I'd recommend sticking to 1 specific track for your first few track days so you can start to gain some sort of rhythm and comfort driving. Spend your money on tires and brake pads for the first year before any other types of mods are considered.

I do recommend getting something that will get you some laptimes and data. Not really to analyze and find places to be faster, but just more of a general point of reference on your improvement. Also helps reinforce certain points sometimes. Like over driving a car does not = faster laptimes, smooth and controlled can be faster.

Also in the beginning on a 2 minute track you might be doing 230-3 minute laps while you are learning and instructor is reinforcing technique and lines. It is fun to watch your times drop 10s of seconds through the day or days you are attending. Something simple like Harrys laptimer on your phone will be plenty for this.
Old 05-23-2016 | 02:30 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Many thanks to all who posted. This has been very informative. I've learned a ton.
Old 05-23-2016 | 08:25 AM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Many thanks to all who posted. This has been very informative. I've learned a ton.
I agree.
I plan to put together a list of the points I have found most useful and update the OP. The little tidbits gleaned from almost any of the responses have made it much easier to focus on what is going to be important for me to get out and have some fun. It also eliminated a number of things I don't need to worry about this year.
Old 05-23-2016 | 07:34 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Another one for the Harry's Laptimer on your phone, worth every penny.

-Jason
Old 05-24-2016 | 01:14 AM
laranja
Pro

Can anyone recommend a good mounting bracket solution to mount an iphone
on the harness bar or the roll bar so you can see the steering wheel and the
front window?
Old 05-24-2016 | 07:05 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by laranja
Can anyone recommend a good mounting bracket solution to mount an iphone
on the harness bar or the roll bar so you can see the steering wheel and the
front window?
RAM mount makes excellent products for mounting an iPhone. They have a "claw" which is basically a clamp that fits the bar. You will also need a double socket attachment and finally a holder for the iPhone. RAM offers everything you need. I bought mine on Amazon and total package was around $80.
Old 05-24-2016 | 02:23 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Well congratulations, you are going to have a lot of fun! I love that you have thought this through, as an engineer I am same way and this is exactly how I talked my first outings at the track!

1.) Don't modify the car at all. If you really want to do something to it get a clear bra and Seatbelt lock. As for the helmet I prefer an open face Snell 2015, the tough part is fitment though. You can get a very nice helmet for under $200. Do keep in mind that you should be bleeding your brake fluid frequently and your oil service will be sooner than 10K miles. I would look for a group that you can run with such as NASA, PCA..... both have great instructors that can help you through the anxiety of traffic, flags.... so you can focus on your skills.

2.) After a few track days I would HIGHLY recommend a school. SkipBarber is my favorite but Bondurant, Spring Mountain are high on my list also.

3.) Now that you are driving faster it will be time to think about track pads, not street/track, but true track pads. About this time a corner balance and alignment will be on the docket. Along with this a set of track wheels in 19's will dramatically help tire choices and cost.

After that well that is all up to what you want to do with the car. Leave it as is or go further down the rabbit hole and start competition.

As for tips, I would recommend that you know your flags, understand the rules of passing for HPDE days (Just talk with the officials). Don't try and run in advanced groups you will be able to go plenty fast in the beginner and there is no shame in that. In fact I often jump into the beginner group when no one wants to get on b/c they are better than just a beginner and get in a lot of laps with no traffic! Make sure to look ahead, always have your eye on the next apex not the one your in. Throughout the day check your lug torque, brake rotors and pads and tire pressure with a good gauge and tire condition inside and out.

Last but not least have fun!
Old 05-25-2016 | 12:32 AM
laranja
Pro

Thanks PcarOMFS! I took a look at Ram mount stuff today. I might try it. For now, I just bought a case for my iphone that has a go pro mount and a go pro mount for the bar. Will see how it works next week on track.
Old 05-25-2016 | 12:35 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

I use the Bracketron Universal Mi-T on my windshield for my iPhone using Harry's Lap Timer app and then I have a GoPro on my roll bar too.

-Jason
Old 05-25-2016 | 09:36 PM
sugarwood
Pro

As a fellow beginner, I agree with the advice to keep it simple. You need nothing except a helmet. You won't come close to harnessing all that car. Just go and you'll be fine.
Old 05-27-2016 | 12:58 PM
gt9729b
Advanced

Perhaps a stupid question, but since I don't have the car yet I can't answer it. For those with spare wheels and tires (and especially those running 19s), how do you get them to the track? Do they fit in the car or do you trailer everything?

Back when I autocrossed my current car I was able to fit spare wheels/tires in the back seat with jack and tools in the trunk. I don't see how that's possible in the GT4. What are y'all doing that have a track set?
Old 05-27-2016 | 01:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt9729b
Back when I autocrossed my current car I was able to fit spare wheels/tires in the back seat with jack and tools in the trunk. I don't see how that's possible in the GT4. What are y'all doing that have a track set?
Since using real racing tires (slicks) will void your warranty, I think most people drive to/from the track on the 19's and DOT-approved track tires. Some fancy people do have trailers though...
Old 05-27-2016 | 01:24 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Hmm. No spare. That really expensive spare on suncoast looking more and more attractive by the day.

Quick Reply: Beginner track driver & GT4 owner wants to get on track....