Sponsored by: APR

Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki:

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 11:14 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
While it's true that the Sport button drops water temperature 15-20 F, I don't think that makes it a must on track simply because I can't imagine that Porsche designed a system that would allow the engine to overheat unless the driver pushed a button; the more aggressive map is obviously forced on with Sport engaged, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be triggered anyway based on running conditions if a need arose. Then again, I can't fathom why they decided to tie a thermostat map to an auto-blip function either. Even if this is a programming vestige from the non-GT 981 Sport button that controlled many more functions, I don't see why even those functions would call for a more aggressive cooling map. Why should the driver be given control of the thermostat at all?
It is very curious, because presumably the more advanced track driver who would be pushing the car harder and needing a thermostat setting that delivered lower temps (sport button 'on') would also be heel-toeing him/herself (sport button 'off').
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
It is very curious, because presumably the more advanced track driver who would be pushing the car harder and needing a thermostat setting that delivered lower temps (sport button 'on') would also be heel-toeing him/herself (sport button 'off').
No worries. If SPORT is not pressed, the car senses when you are driving hard and will open the thermostats automatically. If you press the SPORT button, the the thermostats will automatically open and stay open, no matter how you drive.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:17 PM
Jgarvish
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is awesome. It's great to have everyone's thoughts in one place. Thanks so much.

I'm hoping to get a Cantrell bar and harnesses installed before the June BMW COTA event. I'm largely following in ShakeNBake's footsteps but I'll provide any additional thoughts/details once I get that done.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Updated the top post - v2.0

Updated the main post with some of the suggested information. Thx for the feedback. Still checking and working on some of the others. More to come...
Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Updated the main post with some of the suggested information. Thx for the feedback. Still checking and working on some of the others. More to come...
Nice work! Although you still have a link to the rear toe links in the section that should instead have a link to the front thrust arm bushings.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Mr. F1 Fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread! Thank you for putting it together.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Nice work! Although you still have a link to the rear toe links in the section that should instead have a link to the front thrust arm bushings.
I need some help on this one. Are you talking about the adjustable thrust arm? I looked at the site and not quite sure which one is the correct one then as I don't have them, only the bushings. Do you know what the correct link is?

(Thanks for keeping me honest...)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I need some help on this one. Are you talking about the adjustable thrust arm? I looked at the site and not quite sure which one is the correct one then as I don't have them, only the bushings. Do you know what the correct link is?

(Thanks for keeping me honest...)
The first link under "caster bushings" should be this: http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...a01-detail.htm. The second link is already correct.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 PM
myBailey07
Pro

The first link under "caster bushings" should be this: http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...a01-detail.htm. The second link is already correct.
Duh! Just had the complete wrong part linked...thx for spotting and correcting it.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts

First, thanks so much for putting this together. It is an amazing resource and reference. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially to MyBailey.

A few questions/suggestions,

1) Do the 19" wheel options listed clear with OEM toe links, or only with aftermarket. I think clarifying this would be beneficial.

2) How does lowering the spring perches affect the ability to dial in more camber, and at what point (how many turns) does lowering make caster a concern. Is there a standard number of turns for the perches that would allow more camber without adversely affecting caster?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:47 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thigos
First, thanks so much for putting this together. It is an amazing resource and reference. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and especially to MyBailey.

1) Do the 19" wheel options listed clear with OEM toe links, or only with aftermarket. I think clarifying this would be beneficial.
The 19" R101's we've done (photo below) are fitted with 19x10.5 rears which do in fact clear the rear toe link.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

that's a great looking wheel :-)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:32 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Originally Posted by thigos

2) How does lowering the spring perches affect the ability to dial in more camber, and at what point (how many turns) does lowering make caster a concern. Is there a standard number of turns for the perches that would allow more camber without adversely affecting caster?

Great questions.

As far as the 19 inch options, I know the 10.5 rear wheel should clear the oem toe link without problems at around 44 offset and can easily run a 295 tire. I can't personally confirm whether the 11 inch clears oem links, or not; however, I seriously doubt whether it will from having seen the minimal clearance on aftermarket links.

Hopefully some others will chime in an confirm this, or correct me.

As far as your second question, to be honest, I don't know for sure and don't want to mislead anyone. Can someone with more knowledge than I answer this?
Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Great questions.

As far as the 19 inch options, I know the 10.5 rear wheel should clear the oem toe link without problems at around 44 offset and can easily run a 295 tire. I can't personally confirm whether the 11 inch clears oem links, or not; however, I seriously doubt whether it will from having seen the minimal clearance on aftermarket links.

Hopefully some others will chime in an confirm this, or correct me.

As far as your second question, to be honest, I don't know for sure and don't want to mislead anyone. Can someone with more knowledge than I answer this?
11" ET45 Forgeline seems to clear OEM links. The RSS toelinks I have use what looks like an OEM endlink.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 PM
brel
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great questions.

As far as the 19 inch options, I know the 10.5 rear wheel should clear the oem toe link without problems at around 44 offset and can easily run a 295 tire. I can't personally confirm whether the 11 inch clears oem links, or not;
I have 19x11 OZ Legerra HLT with 285/35 RE-71R's on my car. I used 5mm Porsche spacers to get 45mm effective offset to clear OEM links. As you can see on the attached photo, it's a bit tight, but I don't feel any issues in street driving.

The front 19x8.5 OZ's have 53mm offset and don't need spacers. They clear steel brakes, but it's tight as well. There seems to be sufficient clearance around 245/40 RE-71R's.

I'll know in a couple of weeks how the car behaves at the limit with an aggressive autocross alignment.

Quick Reply: Experiment - GT4 Track Setup Wiki: