Sponsored by: APR

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 67 Posts
Default CLEAR PLEX

I have clearplex on my car, I would go with the option Jenner mentioned . it wasn't available last year .
Old 05-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Rich B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been less than greatly impressed with the strength of the Porsche windshield. After my first track day, the windshield was peppered with at least 4 or 5 chips - and this without any event that caught my attention.

This is why I wonder why folks are so down on the aftermarket replacements. Are there known problems, or is it a question of "it's not a Porsche part."

Cheers
Rich B
Old 05-05-2016, 02:15 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich B
I have been less than greatly impressed with the strength of the Porsche windshield. After my first track day, the windshield was peppered with at least 4 or 5 chips - and this without any event that caught my attention.

This is why I wonder why folks are so down on the aftermarket replacements. Are there known problems, or is it a question of "it's not a Porsche part."

Cheers
Rich B
I've noticed the same thing with my Cayman R. I've only had it since November and haven't driven it very much but there are several new chips in the glass. The windshield doesn't seem terribly durable.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:19 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Maybe double up on the Clearplex?
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 AM
etp
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing happen on my first long drive. Huge crack in front of passenger. Replaced with OEM and so far so good.

Thank goodness for a $0 deductible!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Maybe double up on the Clearplex?
Seems like the Bray Group offering would be the better decision. I have no affiliation (aside from the product being installed on my GT4) just seems like you could get into optical issues doubling up a product that isn't designed to be, plus I don't even know if it would stick to itself and you'd probably get bubbles and ripples etc where the Bray product is built and designed to layer and comes "doubled" from the factory.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 562 Likes on 276 Posts

"hit a rock"

Old 05-06-2016, 06:44 AM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by Rac10000
^ edit: jeez, Alan ... So it went through the clearplex too? The lower corners are definitely vulnerable ...

Yeah, but you should have seen what it did to the cinder block.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

I just wanted to update anyone considering windshield protection that I took a fist size rock strike to my windshield with Bray protection at roughly 80 mph. (Rock flew off a industrial size dump truck was going 50 in opposite direction I was going 35-40mph)

My 5 year old daughter was in the car and it sounded like a gunshot. It was so loud and unexpected I jumped in the seat. I feel if I had not had the Bray film the rock would have been in the cabin with us. It was that large and moving that fast. I thought for sure I was going to need a new windshield.

Here is the video of the removal of both layers of protection:
Facebook Post

Even after the two layers tore off we thought I needed a new windshield but what we thought was the chip/crack was actually the Bray material crushed. It was removed with a fingernail and all that was left in my glass was a tiny scratch smaller than the ball of a ball point pen. Very very impressed with this product.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jenner
I just wanted to update anyone considering windshield protection that I took a fist size rock strike to my windshield with Bray protection at roughly 80 mph. (Rock flew off a industrial size dump truck was going 50 in opposite direction I was going 35-40mph)

My 5 year old daughter was in the car and it sounded like a gunshot. It was so loud and unexpected I jumped in the seat. I feel if I had not had the Bray film the rock would have been in the cabin with us. It was that large and moving that fast. I thought for sure I was going to need a new windshield.

Here is the video of the removal of both layers of protection:
https://www.facebook.com/automobilia...type=2&theater

Even after the two layers tore off we thought I needed a new windshield but what we thought was the chip/crack was actually the Bray material crushed. It was removed with a fingernail and all that was left in my glass was a tiny scratch smaller than the ball of a ball point pen. Very very impressed with this product.
Wow... Interesting product. I am gonna ask my shop about this
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

Wow - that is some good stuff. I wouldn't mind putting a layer of this on. I wonder if they make it with a slight tint to protect from UV and heat
Old 05-26-2016, 05:39 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks Jenner, as you point out the fact that the Bray material was crushed shows that it did absorb some of the impact energy. However, I do take exception with the physics and math you are using to demonstrate the speed (80mph) of the rock.

Your speed of 35mph can definitely be used as one component of the impact energy. However, the truck’s forward speed cannot directly be used, unless the rock was sitting on the hood and the truck came to an immediate stop. In this case, the rock would not stop with the truck, but would be launched forward with an initial speed of 50mph.

In practice rocks tend to usually fall backward from moving trucks, lose momentum quickly, drop like the proverbial stone and either bounce off the road or hang in the air momentarily for you to run into. Or, sometimes truck tires shoot out rocks, but due to tire rotation, they are typically propelled in reverse to the truck’s forward motion.

Our car has a bunch of the same tiny pits that you experienced. Due to the 911’s low stance and sloping windshield we have been lucky that all our impacts have been glancing blows, even though some of them sounded, as did yours, like a gunshot.

These windshield wraps are ok, great even for collector cars that do not live in a scratchy work-a-day world. However they’re not Jesus, they won’t save from a genuine big o’ high-speed head-on rock impact.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jennifer911
they won’t save from a genuine big o’ high-speed head-on rock impact.
I find this line funny since I was there and that's EXACTLY what I experienced.

I believe a stationary object traveling on a moving object is going the same speed as the moving object. I get that it would bleed speed due to air resistance as it fell but at the same time wasn't trying to be exact or scientific, it was a guesstimate. I have no proof of how fast the truck was going in the first place but he was flying.

Even if we assume a 60mph impact and a 3" diameter rock its still moving fast and large.
In the end the film exceeded my expectations and I'm very happy with it. Just trying to share my personal experience with others.
Thanks for your analysis.

Last edited by Jenner; 05-27-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I received a small pebble 2 weeks ago that made a mark in the windshield. I was able to have it repaired before a DE on Monday and Tuesday. Then I saw Tuesday that my windshield was cracked at a different place and there was a slight impact showing. Never saw or heard it.

From 8 GT4 at the DE, we were 2 that got cracked windshields. They do seem pretty week....
Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's time to just finally opt for windshield insurance for the peace of mind. I live in rocksville, but I've usually gotten away with immediately filling my chips. Worked well on the 1m.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield