Sponsored by: APR

Sway bar setting

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:56 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaritz
I asked the dealer to return the sway bar to factory settings before taking delivery of a 2016 GT4 a couple weeks back. The attached repair order shows that there were only labor charges and no parts charges. No mention of keeping an eye out for loosening bolts or periodically re-torqueing. Thanks guys for your input.
So whats your question? Maybe you are asking why there isnt a charge for parts? If thats what you are asking, there are no parts required to simply move the sway bars front and rear. Its un-bolt, move to new hole location and bolt back up. Simple, no new parts.
The following users liked this post:
ducsfly (12-29-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 01:25 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
So whats your question? Maybe you are asking why there isnt a charge for parts? If thats what you are asking, there are no parts required to simply move the sway bars front and rear. Its un-bolt, move to new hole location and bolt back up. Simple, no new parts.
Dealerships often say the bolts are one-time use. What he is saying is that his dealership did not show new bolts, so it is quite likely the dealership reused the bolts, as most members here say is the right call. Just torque them, and possibly re-torque after some time (and/or use some Loctite Blue on them).

In other words, just another data point in the debate as to whether or not the bolts are one-time use. I’m in the camp that believes they are not one-time use.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:46 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Dealerships often say the bolts are one-time use. What he is saying is that his dealership did not show new bolts, so it is quite likely the dealership reused the bolts, as most members here say is the right call. Just torque them, and possibly re-torque after some time (and/or use some Loctite Blue on them).

In other words, just another data point in the debate as to whether or not the bolts are one-time use. I’m in the camp that believes they are not one-time use.
I gotcha, that makes sense. I had never heard that the bolts were one-time use. Man, if thats the case, I (or mine and your shop....!) messed up many times!
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaritz
I asked the dealer to return the sway bar to factory settings before taking delivery of a 2016 GT4 a couple weeks back. The attached repair order shows that there were only labor charges and no parts charges. No mention of keeping an eye out for loosening bolts or periodically re-torqueing. Thanks guys for your input.
Just be alert for noise from the front end. It will be very obvious if the nut needs additional torque. It may feel/look tight, but when the suspension moves and if the connection is not tight, it may slide within the hole in the sway bar and make a noise. You can access it for tightening just by turning the wheels - it's a 16mm for the nut and an allen or torx (I think torx) to hold the shaft from rotating.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:05 PM
WC31
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

After changing the settings around, I've developed a clunk. After reading this thread and others, many have experienced this as well with subsequent loosening. I've re-tightened multiple times with the recommended 3 stage tightening procedure with new nuts but still have a clunk. After tightening to 50#, thinking that more is better, could TOO much torque be the cause of the clunk? When driving over uneven pavement at low speeds, there is the binding/clunk as described. When torque is applied, isn't the bar supposed to "pivot" or slightly rotate within the hole? I've marked my nuts and they have not moved.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:28 AM
lawlence
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WC31
After changing the settings around, I've developed a clunk. After reading this thread and others, many have experienced this as well with subsequent loosening. I've re-tightened multiple times with the recommended 3 stage tightening procedure with new nuts but still have a clunk. After tightening to 50#, thinking that more is better, could TOO much torque be the cause of the clunk? When driving over uneven pavement at low speeds, there is the binding/clunk as described. When torque is applied, isn't the bar supposed to "pivot" or slightly rotate within the hole? I've marked my nuts and they have not moved.
The rotation will be in the ball joint in the sway link. Nuts should stay fixed once torqued. You have a different issue causing the clunk.
The following users liked this post:
aryork (07-26-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 01:10 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lawlence
The rotation will be in the ball joint in the sway link. Nuts should stay fixed once torqued. You have a different issue causing the clunk.
+1
Old 07-26-2020, 05:15 PM
jlennox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Open your passenger door, all the way. Using the door as a lever, plull/rock the car and listen for clunks. If there is an issue causing a clunk, you should be able to locate the source this way.

Quick Reply: Sway bar setting