Sponsored by: APR

Sway bar setting

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I see your point but I'm just passing along what he told me. Since feedback indicates the bolts must be significantly over torqued with lock tite applied, or they come loose .... I would question whether they should be re-used. But I agree: to put a single use bolt in an adjustable sway bar doesn't seem to add up.
If this is true, which I'm questioning for the same reason you are, then maybe there's an opportunity for Tarett to create a sway bar kit.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:04 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
If this is true, which I'm questioning for the same reason you are, then maybe there's an opportunity for Tarett to create a sway bar kit.
JP, in looking at these simple bolts, it does look like they are "under engineered" for the task considering that they are being worked hard at every turn or bump. Perhaps Tarrett can design a sleeved unit that will allow adjustments without ever working its way loose. Oh, and perhaps anodize it bright red! .
Old 04-24-2016, 04:42 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At my first track day, the Porsche mechanics set the front to soft. It did make the car more neutral. I didn't experience any more understeer. Do you recommend that I have the bolts checked out? How can I tell if they loosen up?

Also, I could feel the car unsettling above 140mph when faced with an elevation change and a bends (turn nr. 1 in Imola, flat out). Will it help if I set the aero to max?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:34 AM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Just got my oil changed, and had the service tech adjust my sway bar. He said the bolts have to be replaced when taken off.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:35 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jasonanv
Just got my oil changed, and had the service tech adjust my sway bar. He said the bolts have to be replaced when taken off.
Any chance you have a part number for this so interested parties can ping Suncoast and maybe order a few sets?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's a shot of the GT4 Tarett drop link (red part). I ran them for 8 years (144 days) on my 987 Cayman S with no issues.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Here's a shot of the GT4 Tarett drop link (red part). I ran them for 8 years (144 days) on my 987 Cayman S with no issues.
You can get buy with just one adj drop link. All your doing is removing any pre-load on the sway bar. carl
Old 04-25-2016, 11:37 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Any chance you have a part number for this so interested parties can ping Suncoast and maybe order a few sets?
Link - rear

Link - front
Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4carl
You can get buy with just one adj drop link. All your doing is removing any pre-load on the sway bar. carl
That's what I understood too, but Tarett only sells drop links in pairs, and the front and rear links are different.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:33 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by ExMB
Unless just replacing that hex nut would do the trick....$100+ per side per axle!?!?! I think I'm just going to add periodic tightening to my regular maintenance and pre-track day list.

(Thanks for the link though.)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm not crazy about the OEM nuts. I replace them with standard M10 nuts with lock washers.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following users liked this post:
Rodolphe GT4 (12-17-2022)
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by digistyl3
At my first track day, the Porsche mechanics set the front to soft. It did make the car more neutral. I didn't experience any more understeer. Do you recommend that I have the bolts checked out? How can I tell if they loosen up?

Also, I could feel the car unsettling above 140mph when faced with an elevation change and a bends (turn nr. 1 in Imola, flat out). Will it help if I set the aero to max?

Hello Digi,

When the fronts loosen up you will hear a slight noise and may notice a binding feeling. It will be clearly evident well before they are loose to the touch.

Regarding aero, many on RL set the aero to full from day one. Doing so means removing the small front air dams (2 screws each side), and tilting the wing up (requires removing the bolt completely and re-inserting in the upper eccentric hole). This has nearly nil effect on the street and adds slightly more down force at high speed. However, 140 will still feel like you are going 140!
Old 04-25-2016, 04:55 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Hello Digi,

When the fronts loosen up you will hear a slight noise and may notice a binding feeling. It will be clearly evident well before they are loose to the touch.

Regarding aero, many on RL set the aero to full from day one. Doing so means removing the small front air dams (2 screws each side), and tilting the wing up (requires removing the bolt completely and re-inserting in the upper eccentric hole). This has nearly nil effect on the street and adds slightly more down force at high speed. However, 140 will still feel like you are going 140!
I only drive the car once a week, but I'll pay attention to any odd behavior. Thanks!

I felt that the car was missing just a little bit of downforce. If setting the aero to max does the trick, it will make the car even more amazing. I was able to keep up somewhat with GT3 and GT3 RS drivers from PDC (Porsche Driver's Challenge), usually narrowing the gap in tight corners, but falling behind on long straights. It was a thrilling experience
Old 04-25-2016, 05:03 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

My setup is Rear hard/ Front mid .. the car is well balanced.

Video of my last weekend open track with stock factory setup:

in my opinion, depend on your track tarmac. if your track js clean like F1 GP circuits then you go for front mid/ rear Hard.

if your tarmac is rough like Sebring I think it is better to go for Soft Front/ Mid Rear.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:57 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 644 Posts

Spoke to my tech today as the car was up on lift. Asked for a "tour" of sway bar adjustment and bolts.

He said there is a torque sequence that must be followed, and if not properly followed they will very likely come loose if you are not replacing with new.

He didn't provide torque values but did say the sequence involves tightening to properly seat, and then loosening, and tightening again. It's critically important they are properly seated.

Quick Reply: Sway bar setting