Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

LWB seats protection padding

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Darkalley36
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Is everyone happy with these after a few miles? Feel free to PM if u have some honest feedback u want to share but not post. This is a lot of money!
Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkalley36
Is everyone happy with these after a few miles? Feel free to PM if u have some honest feedback u want to share but not post. This is a lot of money!
I will lay it out to you because if I felt that I overpaid for something I am humble enough to be honest.

Are they expensive?? - YES

Is the quality top-notch??- exceeded expectation- OEM quality and maybe better

Worth it?? - I find these seats a PIA to get in and out of and protecting this area is going to be essential for me. I think since no one really drives in my car with me and if they do, usually my Wife I would of considered , in hindsight, just one for the Driver's side and save youself the additional $$$ for passing on the passenger's side
Old 05-25-2016, 10:58 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 641 Posts

What (if any) wear is expected beneath the protective covers? Are they lined with something that helps?

Even if they don't move much there must be some wear from the contact between the bolster cover and the bolster.

Just curious if this was a concern of anyone who ordered them, and if it was discussed.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:26 PM
GT4SHO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
What (if any) wear is expected beneath the protective covers? Are they lined with something that helps?

Even if they don't move much there must be some wear from the contact between the bolster cover and the bolster.

Just curious if this was a concern of anyone who ordered them, and if it was discussed.
Good question
Old 05-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts

Just from having thr car for one day. Cleaning inside/programming radio/ getting in and out about 10 times. Almost impossible to not hit that area. I can def see that wearing down very fast.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4SHO
Good question
Also curious about the answer to this question.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Also curious about the answer to this question.
The pad never moves- it is a very tight fit so i do not see any direct constant friction which would cause any wear
Old 05-26-2016, 04:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Fit and finish are superb. They look OEM. Installed mine a few days ago. I posted pics in the GT3 thread. I highly recommend them.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:40 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I will lay it out to you because if I felt that I overpaid for something I am humble enough to be honest.

Are they expensive?? - YES

Is the quality top-notch??- exceeded expectation- OEM quality and maybe better

Worth it?? - I find these seats a PIA to get in and out of and protecting this area is going to be essential for me. I think since no one really drives in my car with me and if they do, usually my Wife I would of considered , in hindsight, just one for the Driver's side and save youself the additional $$$ for passing on the passenger's side
I can vouch for your honesty. You were one of the few GT3 guys that went back on what you said about the GT4 and admitted you were wrong.

I think they only sell in pairs btw.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:09 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The pad never moves- it is a very tight fit so i do not see any direct constant friction which would cause any wear
I understand what you mean but if you are rubbing it as you enter the car - you're saying the fit is SO TIGHT it doesn't budge at all?

I wonder if movement is not detectable because of the tight fit - but does that prevent ANY movement? I'd think even the slightest movement could abrade the bolster underneath. This might still be better than the abrasion that would occur without a bolster protector.

Just trying to understand all the pros/cons of protection like this. I wonder if the manufacturer has any testing (XXXX # times in/out of seat and no rubbing or wear - for example)
Old 05-26-2016, 07:13 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

IMO at some point this is car and it's meant to be used and as such will wear down. If you don't want any wear at all then the only option is to not drive it and just keep it as a garage queen. This bolster protector or something like it is going to required equipment IMO as getting in and out of these seats just causes too much friction no matter if you're an olympic gymnast or a slightly out of shape normal guy like myself.

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I understand what you mean but if you are rubbing it as you enter the car - you're saying the fit is SO TIGHT it doesn't budge at all?

I wonder if movement is not detectable because of the tight fit - but does that prevent ANY movement? I'd think even the slightest movement could abrade the bolster underneath. This might still be better than the abrasion that would occur without a bolster protector.

Just trying to understand all the pros/cons of protection like this. I wonder if the manufacturer has any testing (XXXX # times in/out of seat and no rubbing or wear - for example)
Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
IMO at some point this is car and it's meant to be used and as such will wear down. If you don't want any wear at all then the only option is to not drive it and just keep it as a garage queen. This bolster protector or something like it is going to required equipment IMO as getting in and out of these seats just causes too much friction no matter if you're an olympic gymnast or a slightly out of shape normal guy like myself.
I like patina. I would consider getting protectors so that some day, a LOOOOONG time from now - when I sell the car, I can offer the option of bolster covers if the next person doesn't like patina.

I drive my cars. Some wear is okay and expected.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Yes- it is very tight I see no movement. But - good questions because long term these have not probably been tested.

Frank - maybe you can address this because I would like to know, as well
Old 05-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts

For now. Red microfiber towels lol

Name:  988E2D7C-EFC2-42B2-9920-424882261889_zpstl7urdfy.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  176.8 KB
Old 05-27-2016, 03:19 PM
PistolPete
Drifting