Sponsored by: APR

Tire cracking in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:26 AM
MMH78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Typical of a bmw driver, .. I swear I see the same m3's & z4's, spinning their tires at the bottom of my street every winter! lol
That's only if you drive in snow.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:15 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So... does anybody have the specific value for the compound seizure temperature for the soft 1/5th of the PSS?
Old 11-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Jonas007
Instructor

I'm in Canada, near Toronto, so we get a nice -25C day quite often here (-13F for those stuck in last century's measurement system ), and maybe -30C at the worst (-22F) in january or february. My car will be stored in an unheated detached garage on my property, and the plan is to park the tires on carpet so they're not direct on the cement.
The car will not move all winter, so from reading this thread, if I don't touch it, and the tires are highly inflated, it should be fine if I wait until we hit warm temps and let it warm up for a couple of days.

Does anyone think I really need to go the extra step of putting the car on stands and pulling the wheels, then storing in the basement? Seems like a huge hassle.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:48 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonas007
I'm in Canada, near Toronto, so we get a nice -25C day quite often here (-13F for those stuck in last century's measurement system ), and maybe -30C at the worst (-22F) in january or february. My car will be stored in an unheated detached garage on my property, and the plan is to park the tires on carpet so they're not direct on the cement.
The car will not move all winter, so from reading this thread, if I don't touch it, and the tires are highly inflated, it should be fine if I wait until we hit warm temps and let it warm up for a couple of days.

Does anyone think I really need to go the extra step of putting the car on stands and pulling the wheels, then storing in the basement? Seems like a huge hassle.
No.. I am in Toronto and have been doing this for the past 20+ years. You will not have any issues. Just leave her alone and allow her to sleep during the deep freeze,
Old 11-13-2015, 12:19 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
Want to learn a little about glass transition?

Plasticizers are molecules that are added to polymers to reduce the glass transition (Tg) temp. When a polymer passes through glass transition, it is changed in a fundamental way and the physical properties are very different. The rule is that if the temp is above Tg, the polymer will be soft but below the Tg, the polymer will be hard.

The white plastic pipes that are used in home construction and sprinkler systems are made from PVC, a common polymer. Without plasticizers, the Tg is very high so that the pipes are rigid at room temp.

If you add plasticizers to PVC, you can drop the Tg to, say, -40C so that it is soft at room temp. That's a no go for a rigid pipe application but great for the soft white coating around your iPhone charge cord.

Back to tires. Rubber engineers add plasticizers to adjust a tire's Tg for the targeted use. Snow tires contain plasticizers so that the Tg is very low and they stay soft in the face of a good MN blizzard. Summer tires, conversely, use a lesser amount since optimal traction is the goal but the tradeoff is a higher Tg.

The bottom line is that you should not let your tires drop below Tg
Old 11-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Jonas007
Instructor

Originally Posted by RealityGT
No.. I am in Toronto and have been doing this for the past 20+ years. You will not have any issues. Just leave her alone and allow her to sleep during the deep freeze,
Good to hear. On my 996 I only had cheap performance tires so never had an issue, and my M5 I put blizzaks on, so was never an issue.

Now to go buy a winter car so I don't have to keep stealing my wife's GLK.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Here are the load distributors I talked about, if you leave the tires on. Can also be had cheaper.

Amazon.com: MAXSA Innovations 37353-BK PARK RIGHT Flat Free Tire Ramp, (Set of 4): Automotive Amazon.com: MAXSA Innovations 37353-BK PARK RIGHT Flat Free Tire Ramp, (Set of 4): Automotive
Old 11-14-2015, 09:29 AM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious if there is a 19" or 20" pilot a/s 3 tire that would fit? Useful to get more through shoulder season when the temp is cool but not snowy.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by focal
Curious if there is a 19" or 20" pilot a/s 3 tire that would fit? Useful to get more through shoulder season when the temp is cool but not snowy.
Just get performance snows
20"
Here

19"
Here
Old 11-14-2015, 02:13 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dedicated snow tires while great for consistently low temps and/or snow are not the same as speed rated winter performance tires (or all seasons). Snow tires, when driven on higher temperature winter days (eg 50s), result in both sloppy handling and greatly accelerated wear.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am curious as to how Porsche is going to handle this as these cars continue to be delivered throughout Winter.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been following this thread and I understand the concern of low temps on high performance tires. If these tires are subject to cracking in cold weather then how do these tires hold up during the cold winters in Germany when Porsche GT cars sit in cold storage ports in Germany and other northern delivery ports where winter temps are below 0 F?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smoltz
I am curious as to how Porsche is going to handle this as these cars continue to be delivered throughout Winter.
I don't think any of the tires on these things will easily crack when stored indoors with not much airflow and are not moved.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Track Junkie
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smoltz
They will replace them if the buyer notices. Let the buyer beware and notice this before taking delivery.

Consumer reports warning on performance summer tires winter cracking.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm
Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 AM
rraustin
Instructor

Originally Posted by dasams
Want to learn a little about glass transition?

Plasticizers are molecules that are added to polymers to reduce the glass transition (Tg) temp. When a polymer passes through glass transition, it is changed in a fundamental way and the physical properties are very different. The rule is that if the temp is above Tg, the polymer will be soft but below the Tg, the polymer will be hard.

The white plastic pipes that are used in home construction and sprinkler systems are made from PVC, a common polymer. Without plasticizers, the Tg is very high so that the pipes are rigid at room temp.

If you add plasticizers to PVC, you can drop the Tg to, say, -40C so that it is soft at room temp. That's a no go for a rigid pipe application but great for the soft white coating around your iPhone charge cord.

Back to tires. Rubber engineers add plasticizers to adjust a tire's Tg for the targeted use. Snow tires contain plasticizers so that the Tg is very low and they stay soft in the face of a good MN blizzard. Summer tires, conversely, use a lesser amount since optimal traction is the goal but the tradeoff is a higher Tg.

The bottom line is that you should not let your tires drop below Tg
Thanks, great info.

Question. When a R compound tires go through a heat cycle (raising to track temp) it has a permanent effect. From what I understand each HC is further vulcanization of the tire. When a tire drops below Tg does it have any permanent effect on a tire similar to a heat cycle?

Quick Reply: Tire cracking in cold weather