Sponsored by: APR

Tire cracking in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 01:18 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by cash-man
So what are you guys doing in cold climates that don't have heated garages? Removing the wheels from the car, and supporting the suspension with the car on stands?
Hey, I'm in North York,
-I have an insulated garage at my home and my condo has a heated underground garage. For my home, I use old pieces of carpet under my tires and have never had any issues with cracking or flat spots. Keep in mind our cars really only sit for about 4 months (max) so its really not enough time to cause any damage. I know others who use plywood in their garages and have had similar results.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:51 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Thanks guys. Currently shopping for a new 3 car garage (& house ), so this is good to know.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:04 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. Thanks guys. Currently shopping for a new 3 car garage (& house ), so this is good to know.
Did the same thing about 18 months ago with a double garage and a separate single garage that are joined by the shared space where the rear door to the house is.

Best upgrades I chose were:

Max extension to the width of the single garage (which was a 4 ft width increase). Room for a fridge and plenty of room to work around the car.

Insulation (as discussed)

A faucet in the shared space (where I attached a hose reel and 50 ft hose). The hose works for both in the garage and outside the garage where I typically wash my car.

Drain in the middle of the double garage.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:16 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

So what are you guys doing in cold climates that don't have heated garages? Removing the wheels from the car, and supporting the suspension with the car on stands?
My condo garage is above ground so it's exposed to the cold. Most I can do is keep it covered and plan on setting it on these to get it off the cold concrete:
http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-FS-Flatstopper-Pack/dp/B003ZAGJAM http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-FS-Flatstopper-Pack/dp/B003ZAGJAM
. Luckily DC area winters are only bad during January and February.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:38 PM
rickdm
Racer

My dealer said that one of the 918's arrived on a cold winter day. They unloaded it an it sat outside for maybe half an hour while they moved the truck and made space for it. As they drove it off pieces of rubber started chunking off of the tires. I have my last track day with the Dunlops this weekend and I have a set of Super Sports waiting at the dealer.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:48 PM
rraustin
Instructor

Attached to Tirerack's description of Sport Cup 2 Tires is: "Storing Track & Competition DOT Tires in Cold Temperatures," which says:

While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer's recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be removed from the vehicle and stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 70 degrees F (21 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:08 PM
mm1
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I talked emailed Damon at TireRack and he said the tires "should" be OK in a garage that's not heated but not super cold (say 35F) as long as the car isn't driven and the tires are at max pressure for storage.

I'll be putting the car on 1 inch rigid foam that I have sitting around. I might install a garage heater or risk the tires.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

These (or similar) are so inexpensive. If you work on your car or have R compound tires either on the car or off you may as well go ahead and get one. Cost is about the price of 1 tire. Never mind your personal comfort and piece of mind.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7749_200577749
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For you Canadian gents, I do have a solution for your cracked tires....
get yourself a nice place in Florida, Arizona or California for the winter and your worries are over.
Plus, you can then drive your GT4 all year.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 PM
MMH78
Instructor

I am changing my tires to Michelin super sport and will daily drive my GT4 even in winter days, excluding snow days. I have done that with my M3 with Michelin Super Sport tires for last 10 years without any problem.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:53 PM
mm1
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH78
I am changing my tires to Michelin super sport and will daily drive my GT4 even in winter days, excluding snow days. I have done that with my M3 with Michelin Super Sport tires for last 10 years without any problem.
Sorry, running summer tires in winter isn't a good idea. They're still hard as pucks and have hardly any grip in the dry, nevermind if you get caught in a bit of rain. All season could get away with it in the dry, but still a master of none tire.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH78
Typical of a bmw driver, .. I swear I see the same m3's & z4's, spinning their tires at the bottom of my street every winter! lol
Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

FWIW, I think the mpss come with the same cold weather warning and the corvette guys have seen cracking from cold temperatures too...
Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MPSS is still a good tire driving above 35 degrees and in the wet. Below these temps best to have winter tires or drive a beater or other winter car. We drive the SUV
Old 11-11-2015, 01:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
FWIW, I think the mpss come with the same cold weather warning ...
Really? Do you have a more authoritative basis than what you "think?" Although Michelin says MPSS don't provide optimal performance in cold weather, I don't recall any warnings similar to the MPSC2s.

Quick Reply: Tire cracking in cold weather