Sponsored by: APR

Decision help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:23 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Decision help

OK got the unexpected call that I can have a GT4 April delivery or push even to June as my dealer got 10 more allocated in total this month for march-June.

My problem is i mentally gave up on the GT4 as I was number 7 on list. And also have a 991.2 GT3 deposit spot and am number 2, so for sure can get one when it comes in 18 months or so I am guessing.

Drove a used 2015 gt3 today and love the 9000 rpm. Concerned if I pull the trigger on the GT4 I will still want the gt3 due to higher horsepower, truly bespoke motor and a desire to have one of my cars have the PDK or possibly the rumored 991.2 stick (although personally I doubt that) as i already Have a 2007 RS and a 901, so have gears to row. Also already have had a 981S and loved it but sold it to make room for either of the new GT cars.

Told dealer I would want PTS car and that's still not a for sure yet. So that's another consideration. Strongly considering letting it go due to higher than expected production and likely impact to exclusivity and the fact that having a PDK car in the house would be nice and lastly that bespoke motor and 9000 rpm has serious appeal, as 991.2 GT3 might be last NA car??

Thoughts form the group appreciated from those who have driven both cars and any thoughts on longer term value Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 AM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

Can't help with your decision, but wow 10 allocations.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Martini racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have doubts, wait and get the GT3. I did the same thing several years ago. I always wanted a challenge Stradale, but settled for a regular 360 and spend lots of money trying make it look like a CS. However, it was never gonna be a CS. So i sold it, lost lots of money and went and got a CS at the end.
if your heart is set on a GT3 bhp car, or a pts color, wait and get what you want.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:36 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,486 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
OK got the unexpected call that I can have a GT4 April delivery or push even to June as my dealer got 10 more allocated in total this month for march-June.

My problem is i mentally gave up on the GT4 as I was number 7 on list. And also have a 991.2 GT3 deposit spot and am number 2, so for sure can get one when it comes in 18 months or so I am guessing.

Drove a used 2015 gt3 today and love the 9000 rpm. Concerned if I pull the trigger on the GT4 I will still want the gt3 due to higher horsepower, truly bespoke motor and a desire to have one of my cars have the PDK or possibly the rumored 991.2 stick (although personally I doubt that) as i already Have a 2007 RS and a 901, so have gears to row. Also already have had a 981S and loved it but sold it to make room for either of the new GT cars.

Told dealer I would want PTS car and that's still not a for sure yet. So that's another consideration. Strongly considering letting it go due to higher than expected production and likely impact to exclusivity and the fact that having a PDK car in the house would be nice and lastly that bespoke motor and 9000 rpm has serious appeal, as 991.2 GT3 might be last NA car??

Thoughts form the group appreciated from those who have driven both cars and any thoughts on longer term value Thanks in advance.
Speaking as someone who just got a GT4 allocation, I would trade it in for a GT3 if I was in the position to do so. I know it goes against orthodoxy here and I admit I really dislike that the GT3 is automatic -- but it has that bespoke engine. That means something to me. Values on the GT4 will be tough to predict. This above MSRP nonsense won't last and I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche intentionally releases more GT4s to make sure its value and exclusivity is diluted relative to their halo 911 - if not with the 981.1, then certainly with 981.2.

Originally Posted by konaforever
Can't help with your decision, but wow 10 allocations.
Orlando got 11!

Last edited by rk-d; 11-01-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:15 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I'd just get the GT4 now and enjoy driving it until you get the GT3. Trade the GT4 in for the GT3 (or sell privately)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,486 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'd just get the GT4 now and enjoy driving it until you get the GT3. Trade the GT4 in for the GT3 (or sell privately)
+1. Do this. That's the answer.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -dk-
Speaking as someone who just got a GT4 allocation, I would trade it in for a GT3 if I was in the position to do so. I know it goes against orthodoxy here and I admit I really dislike that the GT3 is automatic -- but it has that bespoke engine. That means something to me. Values on the GT4 will be tough to predict. This above MSRP nonsense won't last and I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche intentionally releases more GT4s to make sure its value and exclusivity is diluted relative to their halo 911 - if not with the 981.1, then certainly with 981.2. Orlando got 11!
Thanks my feeling is the same on the numbers. I think this 981.1 run is done but my dealer is one of three in Houston. Total in town is 28 I believe. momentum 10 pwh 6 and pnh 12 (not confirmed personally but a friend claims, either way that's a lot).
Old 11-01-2015, 09:56 AM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few points. Porsche Exclusive in Atlanta confirmed in email to me that no more PTS for remainder of GT4 run in '16.

Porsche of Melbourne also got 9 allocations. However, there are still at least 6 people on their list who will not get cars.

So despite the numbers being more than anticipated there are still plenty of people on waiting lists who won't get cars and others who want cars but after seeing the waiting list numbers said what's the point of even getting on a list. Add to this the fact that there will very likely be no GT4 production in MY'17 at least, demand for the car will still be strong. Maybe not $20-30K over MSRP strong but strong enough that you can buy the car and drive it judiciously until you get your GT3 then sell and it will incur little if any real depreciation.

Get the car.....
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, another vote for get the GT4, as economic risk is probably pretty low. However, another significant risk is that you won't want to part with the GT4. You might love it and love the manual, and not want to give up for the GT3. Maybe should be plotting a way to hold on to both..........

Quick Reply: Decision help