Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Taking delivery and checking for damage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:27 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I agree after testing about 30 cars,Porsche.MB,BMW & Audi on the dealers lot you will have about a 2mil variance in paint thickness depending on the panel.

I have found the extra cost colors and metallics are thicker (I think they are painted off line) 6-8mil vs 3.8-5.8 mil on the no cost colors. carl
Now you've got me thinking...

Is it safe to assume that the slight average difference between no-cost solid colors and optional metallics may be largely down to the fact that Porsche doesn't clear coat it's solid colors (I.e. 2K single stage paint)? I believe that standard option metallics are painted on the line.

When I ordered official touch up paint for my Cream White 997 it didn't come with a clear coat whereas my SBM touch up paint came with base and clear as expected.

In terms of 'off the line' I remember Larry Kosilla stating in one of his videos that 'rare' or limited edition Porsches - whether metallic or solid - are often found to have way thicker paint because they are probably painted off the line by hand and thus have very different readings than solids or metallics that are painted on the line.

Last edited by IrishAndy; 10-13-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Carmine Red and will report the thickness readings that I observe...

Is thicker paint better - seriously? I have no idea...

Good question on clear: does Carmine have clear coat?

-mark
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

No cost colors also have a very thin clear coat. Without clear coaying it will have problems with UV.
Metallics have 2 layers of clear coat, Carmine as well.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,134 Likes on 604 Posts

All colors are clear coated. I think the issue is the non std colors are painted off line maybe by hand? All i know is they are thicker.

Ive had 3 std color Cayman's a 14 black a 15 RY and my 16 GT4 RY they all were 3.8-5.8 mil . If you check the door jam they are really thin 2.2-3.2mil .

A human hair is about 3mil=.003"carl
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After speaking with the gent who will be installing my Xpel I sent an email to the person at the dealer not to detail the exterior and to leave the transport wrapping on the car until I arrive to pick it up.
Probably going to leave most of the wrap on the car to protect the paint on the way to the detailer.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts

Good idea
Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdavis
I have Carmine Red and will report the thickness readings that I observe...

Is thicker paint better - seriously? I have no idea...

Good question on clear: does Carmine have clear coat?

-mark
Most of what's above the body panels is clear coat.

The thicker the paint, the heavier the car is. Although, we are not talking about a huge difference, probably equates to a quart or two between a few mils. However I was once told that a Rolls Royce has over 50lbs of paint. There are guys here who likes their cars to be as anorexic as possible.

To me, I prefer to have thicker paint. Donovan on this forum, once bought a 987 Spyder (his third one I think) that was used for the autoshow circuit, and it had double the paint thickness compared to mine. I enjoy detailing, even though I've only done one paint correction in 4 yrs of ownership, I'd like the option to have a lot of clear coat to polish off.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,134 Likes on 604 Posts

25 microns = .001" that's 1/3rd the thickness of a pice of paper. Once you go through the clear your screwed.

I don't believe in paint correction on a new car unless it's needed. I have a Rupes 21 and a Flex 3401 orbitals plus a paint gauge to monator thicknes if I have to remove a blemish. In general the less abrasive you use the better. It adds up over time. Carl
Old 10-15-2015, 03:00 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
After speaking with the gent who will be installing my Xpel I sent an email to the person at the dealer not to detail the exterior and to leave the transport wrapping on the car until I arrive to pick it up.
Probably going to leave most of the wrap on the car to protect the paint on the way to the detailer.
Great idea. Mark
Old 10-15-2015, 07:59 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
No cost colors also have a very thin clear coat. Without clear coaying it will have problems with UV.
Metallics have 2 layers of clear coat, Carmine as well.
Good to know - I will test and report-out on my Carmine thickness...rec'd my 8801 today.

-mark

Quick Reply: Taking delivery and checking for damage.