Sponsored by: APR

Sport Mode for the drive home?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:55 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

On my drive last weekend when I slowed and was in cruise mode - with sport on - temperature was 186 degrees - I turned sport off when I got closer to home and noticed temps had risen to 201 degrees - however to be fair I was in traffic and going 20 - 30 mph - versue 45 in open air when I first looked.

Once you shut off the key it is going to continue to increase in temp for awhile - so if you don't like that and don't think the factory fans suffice, then you can try to pump air in remotely - but unlike the 911 where you can just lift the bonnet - it will not be quite that easy to put air into the engine bay to release the heat. I would not worry about it, but cool down is always a good idea.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Sport Mode for the drive home?

It's very simple : Porsche tells you in the owner's manual that if you press the Sport button you will activate auto blip. That's it. The fact that it modulates the thermostat and will make the engine run cooler has been reported by several owners. Perhaps Porsche doesn't find necessary to mention that by activating Sport Mode the engine will run cooler because IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IN DRIVABILITY OR EFFICIENCY.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jphughan
Sure, but in this car, Sport Mode is just auto-blip, which I can see some wanting for the track and not on the road, and some perhaps wanting only on the road for a smoother cruise and maybe not on the track where they want to do as much of the work themselves as possible -- so I think there would be only a weak correlation between the state of the Sport button and the level of driving aggressiveness across all GT4 owners. But even if there were a decent correlation, I still don't see why this couldn't be automatic even on the non-GT cars. The dynamic transmission mounts apparently adapt automatically based on the driving style they're detecting, so why couldn't the cooling system do the same rather than using an indirect and potentially unreliable measurement of the driver's intentions in the form of a Sport button?
To be clear, this is automatic. There will always be proper and sufficient cooling automatically. What we're talking about is that the Sport button that gives you the auto-blip feature ALSO changes the thermostat behavior to run the motor cooler. Note that this would happen anyway if the engine systems deemed it necessary, so it's not something you are required to do to cool the motor. What we're trying to understand is:
1) Is there any advantage to cooling the motor manually (i.e. before you garage the car) - this is not a big deal
2) Are there any downsides to always running in Sport when you consider the engine is unlikely to reach 220F if you do? - one such thing might be fuel efficiency is improved with a warmer motor (this may be counter intuitive but true)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's very simple : Porsche tells you in the owner's manual that if you press the Sport button you will activate auto blip. That's it. The fact that it modulates the thermostat and will make the engine run cooler has been reported by several owners. Perhaps Porsche doesn't find necessary to mention that by activating Sport Mode the engine will run cooler because IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IN DRIVABILITY OR EFFICIENCY.
Perhaps.

Porsche also told me in owner’s manual how much to torque the center-locks on my GT3, then wheels started flying off people’s cars, so they told us a different torque spec and it continued to happen. Then they did a recall and replaced everyone’s hubs. Huge fan of the brand but they don’t always get it all correct.

We know the GT4 owner’s manual is incomplete and inaccurate in many places and reads like it was rushed to incorporate some GT4 items into a generic book.

Anything is worth a discussion.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Sport Mode for the drive home?

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Perhaps.

Porsche also told me in owner's manual how much to torque the center-locks on my GT3, then wheels started flying off people’s cars, so they told us a different torque spec and it continued to happen. Then they did a recall and replaced everyone’s hubs. Huge fan of the brand but they don’t always get it all correct.

We know the GT4 owner’s manual is incomplete and inaccurate in many places and reads like it was rushed to incorporate some GT4 items into a generic book.

Anything is worth a discussion.
I'm sure Porsche also " forgot " to mention that the engine in your 991 GT3 might catch on fire,or that you will have to visit the dealer multiple times to replace the thermostat. And my thread regarding thermostats touches that subject(for those interested). But I think the reliability issue of Porsche products is a different subject altogether and doesn't really relate to the operation of the thermostat in Sport Mode.

Regarding your second point about " the sake of discussion " ,by all means please do. I didn't mean to interfere,I was just offering an opinion. I shall retire at this point.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm sure Porsche also " forgot " to mention that the engine in your 991 GT3 might catch on fire,or that you will have to visit the dealer multiple times to replace the thermostat. And my thread regarding thermostats touches that subject(for those interested). But I think the reliability issue of Porsche products is a different subject altogether and doesn't really relate to the operation of the thermostat in Sport Mode.

Regarding your second point about " the sake of discussion " ,by all means please do. I didn't mean to interfere,I was just offering an opinion. I shall retire at this point.

Quick Reply: Sport Mode for the drive home?