Sponsored by: APR

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 PM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance

So, my car is now V260...should be V270 any day...when I assume I will finally get my VIN?

I currently have a few cars under Fireman's...Apparently, ACE now services Fireman's...and Chubb is part of ACE...so I believe I will have Chubb soon enough (again).

This car is a weekend "toy" for me...so my policy will reflect that.

What do you folks like/use?

Thanks, -mark, Carmine red GT4 V260
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about true replacement cost? Some Ahole smashes your GT4 and totals it. Replacement cost will be much higher. What if you paid over MSRP?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Amica Mutual and they are amazing to work with. Had never heard of them before, but JD Power had given them the top spot on customer satisfaction for 11 years running in 2009 when I last shopped for insurance (behind only USAA and Hartford that aren't open to the general public), and they also gave me a great quote when I was shopping, although others I've referred to them since then have found their quotes to be rather expensive compared to others. But for me, it turns out the GT4 will actually be $20/year less than my 2011 M3, evidently because newer cars are assumed to have more safety features.

As for replacement cost insurance for cases of paying over MSRP, I don't think it will matter since anyone who totals a GT4 will likely have a very tough time getting another one even used, never mind new, but if you want to protect your expenditure through insurance, the only thing you could do would be stated value insurance, but I'm told that's about twice as expensive as traditional insurance.

(UPDATE: Thanks to Il Pirata's post below, it is agreed value insurance that owners with this concern would want, not stated value.)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-08-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

I use Chubb and couldn't be happier. Yes, they are more expensive, but the service is incredible. I have, unfortunately, had to make two act of nature claims this year (one of which was my 911 with $17k in damage) and they were both covered completely with no questions asked.

I believe Chubb also offers agreed upon value insurance. This could come in handy for these cars.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:48 PM
NAAMAZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of switching from Emcompass to ACE which will soon be branded as Chubb. I have an insurance "portfolio" so was happy to save some pretty serious money with a quality policy.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Hartford. Not great operationally , but under $900 a year for a GT3.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about this...probably need to make arrangements to cover the cost of replacing the car over MSRP.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
the only thing you could do would be stated value insurance, but I'm told that's about twice as expensive as traditional insurance.
Stated value does NOT guarantee a certain payout, only agreed value does.

Agreed value is usually it is less, the insurer places some restrictions on the use of the car, so the exposure of loss is less. My 993 C4S is agreed value for $99K (over requires an appraisal) for about $700 per year with very good coverage. The same policy setup for a newer $99K car is going to be more.

New cars do not qualify for agreed value policies, at least the ones I have seen.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:53 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by il pirata
Stated value does NOT guarantee a certain payout, only agreed value does.

Agreed value is usually it is less, the insurer places some restrictions on the use of the car, so the exposure of loss is less. My 993 C4S is agreed value for $99K (over requires an appraisal) for about $700 per year with very good coverage. The same policy setup for a newer $99K car is going to be more.

New cars do not qualify for agreed value policies, at least the ones I have seen.
Interesting, thanks for the heads-up! Upon further reading, it seems that what I thought of as stated value was in fact agreed value. Stated value seems only applicable in some rather bizarre cases if this article is anything to go by: https://www.lelandwest.com/stated-va...-insurance.cfm.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:12 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I use Amica Mutual and they are amazing to work with. Had never heard of them before, but JD Power had given them the top spot on customer satisfaction for 11 years running in 2009 when I last shopped for insurance (behind only USAA and Hartford that aren't open to the general public), and they also gave me a great quote when I was shopping, although others I've referred to them since then have found their quotes to be rather expensive compared to others. But for me, it turns out the GT4 will actually be $20/year less than my 2011 M3, evidently because newer cars are assumed to have more safety features.
Amica is my current carrier, they are a bit expensive but never question where you get a car fixed. Outstanding service. My quote for the GT4 was about the same as my M3. Wish they offered collector car insurance but they don't
Old 09-09-2015, 09:03 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Interested in more opinions here. I was on Geico (because why not?) for years and was not paying much for my 987.1. I cancelled the coverage when I lost my car last year, so I need new insurance.

I called Geico to reinstate, got a quote, thought it was pretty cheap, then asked if I was covered for track incidents - the rep said hold on, came back to the phone, then said "I'm sorry, but due to the intended nature of use we will not be able to provide you coverage." And that was that, no opportunity to retort or anything.

So...I need a new company. Is there any advantage to looping home owners insurance with the same provider?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Interested in more opinions here. I was on Geico (because why not?) for years and was not paying much for my 987.1. I cancelled the coverage when I lost my car last year, so I need new insurance.

I called Geico to reinstate, got a quote, thought it was pretty cheap, then asked if I was covered for track incidents - the rep said hold on, came back to the phone, then said "I'm sorry, but due to the intended nature of use we will not be able to provide you coverage." And that was that, no opportunity to retort or anything.

So...I need a new company. Is there any advantage to looping home owners insurance with the same provider?
Usually if you bundle up with the same company you get a discount. But make sure on the coverage you're getting. In home owners the biggest differentiation I found is roof coverage. Some have a straight deductible regardless of age and others prorate it on a yearly basis - older = more out of your pocket.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Amica Mutual, at least in TX, still has the legacy language that only excludes coverage while in a racing facility if you are "practicing for or competing in any racing or speed contest". Most other carriers have changed that verbiage to literally say driving on a racetrack for any reason, including to improve driver skill, is not covered. I've even heard stories of USAA customers calling to inquire whether they'd be covered for a DE, and the rep not only tells them no, but then non-renews their policy. HPDE coverage is one of many reasons I'm still with Amica -- although you better believe I check the full text of my policy every time it renews to confirm that language hasn't changed. However, I would bet that open track days would not be covered since without the teaching aspect of an HPDE, they could probably be construed as practicing for racing.

Otherwise, Lockton and OnTrackInsurance both sell dedicated HPDE insurance. Pricing is a percentage of the car value you declare, and they give discounts if you buy coverage for multiple events in a given year upfront. I believe coverage including pricing is per-event, which means 2-day events cost the same as 1-day events.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:48 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

That makes sense, and I'm not saying that I want my basic policy to cover me if I put it in a wall while on track.

All I told the rep that I was 'considering going to an auto-x, essentially a parking lot with cones' and he said they don't even want to offer me a basic policy anymore. I had been a client for about 15 years!

Anyone else have their car and home with a company they recommend?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That makes sense, and I'm not saying that I want my basic policy to cover me if I put it in a wall while on track.

All I told the rep that I was 'considering going to an auto-x, essentially a parking lot with cones' and he said they don't even want to offer me a basic policy anymore. I had been a client for about 15 years!

Anyone else have their car and home with a company they recommend?
I use Amica for both house and auto.

Quick Reply: Insurance