Sponsored by: APR

Visit to Porsche Headquarters, Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Visit to Porsche Headquarters, Atlanta

This isn't really a gt4 post but I'm mostly lurking in this forum these days and I've been meaning to share a few pics from a recent visit to Porsche's brand new $100M North American headquarters. About two weeks ago my 15 yr old son and I missed a connecting flight out of Atlanta and with only one flight each day to our destination we had 24 hours to kill. Initially bummed about our dilemma, I break out the iPad to find a hotel and what do I discover located on the very edge of the airport property? Porsche freaking Headquarters! I knew it was in Atlanta and I immediately felt stupid for not prearranging a proper layover from the beginning so we'd have time to visit. Fate I guess!

The next day our Uber got us to the gate where we negotiated our way in by booking an impromptu simulator session. I could write for miles about how cool this facility is but I'll try to keep this brief. Everything brand new, including a room full of top end simulators. The tech that hosted us was awesome and we did Sebring, first in gt4s and then cup-mode. Nothing like that new simulator smell!

I learned that in as little as 30 minutes and $600 I could be in the seat of a 2 month old gt3 on their track for an hour (with an instructor of course). I had a 7.2 gt3 before my current CR so I know the HP I gave up, and I don't need a one time session at 500hp screwing with my head when my gt4 shows up in 10 short weeks so I passed. They will have gt4 cars in a few more weeks BTW, and I would have done that for sure!

It was a Wednesday and it felt like we had the place to ourselves. On the terrace of their restaurant you get an awesome view of their test track which includes a kick plate and a friction pad. It was strangely soothing to watch the drivers on track doing the kick plate, over and over again... Nobody could do it well and it was just maddening to watch but you couldn't stop looking. You can see an off road track in the distance and I was told they offer every training scenario for every model. Low and behold we also witness the 'Acid Green' 918 Spyder that the receptionist bragged about when we first entered the building. A special sight to behold, this top-end car on this brand new track in this amazing facility! Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics of this one. It was only being driven slowly by what seemed to be a Porsche Tech trying doing some sort of low speed testing in electric mode only so I'll have to wait a little longer before I hear my first 918 going flat out in person.

There were about 15 cars and a tractor, all artfully placed around the facility. Memorabilia on the walls, simulators, a race track, the famous Melissa Witteck who finally solved my 'Slate Grey' questions works here! I will look forward to visiting with her one day when the stars align for me to order my unicorn through Porsche Exclusive.

Anyway, my son is still talking about our visit and its an accidental trip we will always remember doing together. At his age these experiences are getting fewer and farther between so this was special for me on several levels! Here's the few pics we ended up with:

Old 08-22-2015, 03:37 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice way to make lemonade out of lemons

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:46 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 160 Posts

Always a reason for life's interruptions ..
-Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:55 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! great stopover
Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is as awesome way to spend a lay over, that's for sure! I will have to make some extra time during my next trip to Road Atlanta and schedule a visit. I hear that they will be doing some sort of "performance center" deliveries in the near future.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It's awesome. Btw, today they moved in a white GT3 RS into the center lobby position in place of the race car.

Name:  DCBEACA5-C74A-4F0B-9803-476AA578F1BF_zpsdozouowl.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  236.7 KB

Last edited by Accel Junky; 08-29-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Great use of a layover. I worked in Atlanta a while back and would get delayed at the airport coming home almost weekly. Were I in the same situation again, this would be a great way to spend the time.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

If anyone visits the HQ this week there is a 918 charging next to the entrance from the first parking garage level (B1) in front of the green-lit "Hybrid" logo as well as a Club Coupe in the B2 garage entrance lobby.

Name:  30D183C3-AE22-40DC-A815-A9B723F7179A_zpsgnluzaic.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  D4AF04BA-B607-46EB-8BB9-1E26AC968536_zpsbcjtx8fi.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  211.3 KB

Last edited by Accel Junky; 08-29-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 AM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
This isn't really a gt4 post but I'm mostly lurking in this forum these days and I've been meaning to share a few pics from a recent visit to Porsche's brand new $100M North American headquarters. About two weeks ago my 15 yr old son and I missed a connecting flight out of Atlanta and with only one flight each day to our destination we had 24 hours to kill. Initially bummed about our dilemma, I break out the iPad to find a hotel and what do I discover located on the very edge of the airport property? Porsche freaking Headquarters! I knew it was in Atlanta and I immediately felt stupid for not prearranging a proper layover from the beginning so we'd have time to visit. Fate I guess! The next day our Uber got us to the gate where we negotiated our way in by booking an impromptu simulator session. I could write for miles about how cool this facility is but I'll try to keep this brief. Everything brand new, including a room full of top end simulators. The tech that hosted us was awesome and we did Sebring, first in gt4s and then cup-mode. Nothing like that new simulator smell! I learned that in as little as 30 minutes and $600 I could be in the seat of a 2 month old gt3 on their track for an hour (with an instructor of course). I had a 7.2 gt3 before my current CR so I know the HP I gave up, and I don't need a one time session at 500hp screwing with my head when my gt4 shows up in 10 short weeks so I passed. They will have gt4 cars in a few more weeks BTW, and I would have done that for sure! It was a Wednesday and it felt like we had the place to ourselves. On the terrace of their restaurant you get an awesome view of their test track which includes a kick plate and a friction pad. It was strangely soothing to watch the drivers on track doing the kick plate, over and over again... Nobody could do it well and it was just maddening to watch but you couldn't stop looking. You can see an off road track in the distance and I was told they offer every training scenario for every model. Low and behold we also witness the 'Acid Green' 918 Spyder that the receptionist bragged about when we first entered the building. A special sight to behold, this top-end car on this brand new track in this amazing facility! Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics of this one. It was only being driven slowly by what seemed to be a Porsche Tech trying doing some sort of low speed testing in electric mode only so I'll have to wait a little longer before I hear my first 918 going flat out in person. There were about 15 cars and a tractor, all artfully placed around the facility. Memorabilia on the walls, simulators, a race track, the famous Melissa Witteck who finally solved my 'Slate Grey' questions works here! I will look forward to visiting with her one day when the stars align for me to order my unicorn through Porsche Exclusive. Anyway, my son is still talking about our visit and its an accidental trip we will always remember doing together. At his age these experiences are getting fewer and farther between so this was special for me on several levels! Here's the few pics we ended up with:
Awesome post thank you!!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Visit to Porsche Headquarters, Atlanta

Great post. I gotta plan a layover in ATL...T
Old 08-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

A 918 prototype is in the lobby as of Friday...
Old 08-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Name:  15317CD3-F936-4732-8EE0-D79A972FDE57_zpsciwekxro.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  207.1 KB
Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that 918 panted in the optional $65k 'Liquid Metal Silver'? Looks killer!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Is that 918 panted in the optional $65k 'Liquid Metal Silver'? Looks killer!
Honestly I'm not sure I just know that this one is a prototype and may not have an engine.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:18 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

It was strangely soothing to watch the drivers on track doing the kick plate, over and over again... Nobody could do it well and it was just maddening to watch but you couldn't stop looking.
The kick plate is a lot of fun, but the 0.6 mile low friction handling course which is hidden in the back next to the off road course is certainly the most fun, and is my absolute favorite. The course is made up of series of Esses with varying elevations on a polished concrete surface. Essentially it is a 0.60 mile drifting course and you are asked to drift the Porsche Boxster connecting the Esses. If done properly you will be drifting the car the entire course, swinging the back of the car in perfect harmony from one curve to the next. Whoever wanted to experience drifting should never miss on this. Mark

Quick Reply: Visit to Porsche Headquarters, Atlanta