Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Pics and first impressions of my CWM GT4

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Finally a fellow CWM car shows up and it's totally worth the $710 over the standard white. The Xpel looks fine from my end with those photos even though the adhesive is still curing. You definitely see some of the film texture which probably hides the metallic flake detailing, but I can live with that. I should be getting the call for mine with platinum wheels pretty soon.

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Very nice.
I much prefer the CWM to regular white, and I bet it pops in the sun.
A very, very great move going with the regular smooth leather steering wheel and shift ****.
Trust me on this one, alcantara looks and feels great in the beginning, however in no time it starts to get matted down, shiny and looks like crap.
And who wants to spend their time with a toothbrush and cleaner trying to get it clean.
Not me.
Regarding the Xpel, does the installer put anything on the paint before he installs the film, like some kind of wax or paint sealer?
I've read that some put a wax down which makes removal a lot easier.
Enjoy.
Never put carnauba wax on Xpel as it can accelerate the yellowing and get trapped on the edges. Stick with polymer based sealants.

The leather looks great and to each their own. Porsche's Alcantara quality is pretty good and they use a very low pile one that I find more durable than what you get on MBs or BMWs. I for one love spending my time with a toothbrush and cleaner making things clean and plenty others on the detailing board does too
Old 08-08-2015, 07:23 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Looks great with the silver wheels! Congrats!
The OEM pads dust like crazy, but once you switch to aftermarket track pads like Ferodo DS1.11 or PFC11, the dust isn't bad at all
That's great to know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Very very nice. I assume the xPel was custom pre-cut? How did it go over the recessed "GT4" logo on the air scoop?
They cut a small rectangle out of the wrap so the GT4 logo is not covered.

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Very nice.
I much prefer the CWM to regular white, and I bet it pops in the sun.
A very, very great move going with the regular smooth leather steering wheel and shift ****.
Trust me on this one, alcantara looks and feels great in the beginning, however in no time it starts to get matted down, shiny and looks like crap.
And who wants to spend their time with a toothbrush and cleaner trying to get it clean.
Not me.
Regarding the Xpel, does the installer put anything on the paint before he installs the film, like some kind of wax or paint sealer?
I've read that some put a wax down which makes removal a lot easier.
Enjoy.
Thanks! I don't think the installer applied anything extra before the Xpel.

Originally Posted by joe12pack
wow that interior & leather wrapped steering
wheel look epic. I am SOOOO glad I picked leather over alcantara steering wheel. Its always good to go with intuition that nothing beats leather.

Did you upgrade the stitching? I'm curious if the standard wheel has the same nice stitching?
I had to purchase the leather upgrade to order color matched interior. I went with the standard platinum stitching color, so I did not have to pay for stitching. It matches perfectly with CWM interior trim. I can't confirm the standard wheel without the leather package will have contrast stitching, but I bet it does.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, congratulations.

The painted white interior trim really looks sharp. Good choice, I would have not thought about doing that.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:35 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by soupy
Finally a fellow CWM car shows up and it's totally worth the $710 over the standard white. The Xpel looks fine from my end with those photos even though the adhesive is still curing. You definitely see some of the film texture which probably hides the metallic flake detailing, but I can live with that. I should be getting the call for mine with platinum wheels pretty soon.

Never put carnauba wax on Xpel as it can accelerate the yellowing and get trapped on the edges. Stick with polymer based sealants.

The leather looks great and to each their own. Porsche's Alcantara quality is pretty good and they use a very low pile one that I find more durable than what you get on MBs or BMWs. I for one love spending my time with a toothbrush and cleaner making things clean and plenty others on the detailing board does too
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I drive hard and detail hard too! I just put on the radio and relax, polish, and sweat. It also gets me out of yard work!

I waxed the entire car today and the Xpel is now barely noticeable. The Xpel has improved drastically over the last 24 hours and after the wax the shine is consistentl. Virtually no yellowing or orange peel. It is sticking great too.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Very nice, congratulations.

The painted white interior trim really looks sharp. Good choice, I would have not thought about doing that.
I liked my Caymans R's color matched interior. I would never have considered it if I had never seen it before hand.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:02 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice looking build. Love the interior touches, including the leather wheel and painted trim

Congrats and use it in good health.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Choice #2 just became choice #1; white silver wheels decal delete.
No options.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I went with the same interior painted bits ...Like the way it looks
We need a shot of the interior door !!!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:27 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishing
Perfect. No obligation if yours is also delivered with clears.
Interesting, why do some cars come with the clears?

The leather steering wheel does look nice. I got the alcantara, but I enjoy detailing. I'll have the Sonax and toothbrush ready!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by csbear
At least one dealer rep (can't remember who, what dealer, or what thread, sorry) has posted on here saying they replace the sidemarkers as standard, apparently as a freebie. I'm going to ask my SA about that and what if anything it would cost.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Some dealerships switch them out for you as a courtesy.

The leather steering wheel does look nice. I got the alcantara, but I enjoy detailing. I'll have the Sonax and toothbrush ready!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Some dealerships switch them out for you as a courtesy.
Originally Posted by jphughan
At least one dealer rep (can't remember who, what dealer, or what thread, sorry) has posted on here saying they replace the sidemarkers as standard, apparently as a freebie. I'm going to ask my SA about that and what if anything it would cost.
Thanks! I will ask my SA if they can do that swap. I think of all colors, white definitely looks the part with the clears.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:04 PM
matttheboatman
Three Wheelin'

Received 614 Likes on 236 Posts

Awesome, Fishing and thank you for your detailed pictures and write up.

The leather wheel and shifter is soooo much more practical and better looking IMO than the Alcantara I ordered, but I love the feel of faux suede!

The painted interior bits takes the interior to new level of sport. Love it, love it, love it!

Suggestion - have you considered white leather trim sewed into to your floor mats like the Exclusive Mats? I think it would match perfectly and really pop.

Wahoo!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks! I will ask my SA if they can do that swap. I think of all colors, white definitely looks the part with the clears.
Our dealer will charge for it. Cheap as they come. If you still want to buy it from them, make the parts manager price match it to Suncoast or Braman, he's been pretty flexible for the most part. I'll be surprised if they even let me try to get a different "free" keychain from the usual boring leather emblem one this time.

I'll be reusing my LED clears that I had on my GTS.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

More interior pics. The white trim is a moderately washed out. .

Quick Reply: Pics and first impressions of my CWM GT4