Sponsored by: APR

#sheneedsaname

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:28 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts
Default #sheneedsaname

The car I ordered really exists and is in my possession. I have logged 400 miles and am speechless, the car is indescribable. This is the first porsche in which the insurance in in my name...

I took delivery at Manhattan Motorcars and the experience was great! Took delivery on a saturday morning. Upon paper work completion i proceeded for 2 hours to wrap the entire front end front, mirrors, rockers, strip over windshield, and front and rear of rear wheels in xpel tack wrap to protect for the ride home to VA and the car in general for the few days until a real wrap goes on. I did this in the showroom (just inside a roll up door where they brought it for delivery) with the SA's in disbelief . When the wrap was complete i had a short drove from lower manhattan to Williamsburg Brooklyn, hah i am not new to driving in the city but the sound and the GT4 had me giddy and my heart pumping. I put the car in a parking lot for the night and drover her home to VA on Sunday.

On the drive home I stopped by a friends house who had a .2 997 GT3 that is quite track prepped (springs, mounts aero, etc.) to let him take a look and drive, he gave his impressions here. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...pressions.html

As for my impressions WOWOWOWOWOW. I love this thing. From the way i spec'd it to the color to the everything! I cannot get over that i have this outside.

I do notice the long gears that everyone speaks of, but it wont "bother" me. For now i am confident that i will be able to find the right gear for the situation in this format. But really right now i have not even taker her past 5000 other than the count on one hand downshift blips that might have hit up near 6K .

I love love love the stock exhaust. I am comparing to my B7 RS4 (AM full exhaust) and my moms stock '15 E63 Estate, and the GT4 stock and with the exhaust button pushed is amazing. Feels weak stepping out of the Sharkworks bypassed .2 GT3, but its one of my favorite parts of the car. Some of the exhaust euphoria has to do with this being my first NA porsche product, but its really that good.

I finished my drive sunday with 30 or so miles of good one lane each direction Virginia country roads, 10 miles of it i was able to "stretch her legs" (from 3-5K RPM) and the steering feel and car in general felt amazing. I cannot wait to get her on the track. My track experience consists of the RS4 to wet my whistle and moving on to race in a E36 M3, so the mid engine configuration and porsche GT NA car feel is new to me.

Now having it in the flesh i think the auto blip in sport mode is very cool. I really like it in city driving scenarios where the RPM are not particularly high, so the blip has to be precise and not too much. Its also really cool that its doing it with a manual gear box... WHAT hah. your just rowing through gears and nailing perfectly smooth downshifts!! I will still have this off most of the time, especially when really "driving" the car... I also, many times blipped myself (second nature) when in sport mode, and its still smooth as butter and i did not notice any over rev, etc.

The shifter is perfectly placed ergonomically IMO (6' 175), feels amazing and is smooth as butter. nuff said.

I have never been in a newer porsche for any length of time so i love the interior, PCM usability and dash.

At the moment those are the first impressions. Did i say how much i am in love with this car. The below are all of the pictures that i have so far. It is going in for the real clear bra (full car) tomorrow so will get some better pics soon..

PS. I am sorry to those that passed for the LWB....

Last edited by zmon; 08-04-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 AM
cbdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful. Love the color combo. Congrats!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:23 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats! A great write up too. I also had a B7 RS4 (sprint blue) and it's the only car I regret selling.

and for a few of us...waiting on LWB proved to be rather fruitful. With PTS available I was able to snag a LWB/PTS car with only a 4 month delay from my initial allocation.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:59 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 278 Posts

Nitefury
Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Linda, because she sang Blew By You.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

congrats op! Looks great.

Originally Posted by Buteo
I also had a B7 RS4 (sprint blue) and it's the only car I regret selling.
Same. I discovered the real meaning of the term sellers remorse after selling my B7 RS4.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 AM
dng
Track Day

Great photos! Congrats and thanks for sharing. I

loved Dark blue Metallic on the Porsches I saw on the Porsche world roadshow. Really beautiful in the sun, photos hardly capture its beauty and classiness.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congratulations

Congratulations on getting your GT4 home. Enjoy it.

Rob
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Big congrats on the car! Wish I could've been there on Saturday and given you a hand with the Xpel Trak tape.

How hard was it to apply by yourself? I may need to look at this vs. plain blue painters tape when my car gets in.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 AM
rs4_saloon
Rennlist Member

wow..looks like quite a few b7 rs4 owners made the switch or added a porsche gt car to their stable (i just sold a sprint blue rs4 a few months ago).

ZMON, the car is an absolute blast!! It was great to drive the .2 gt3 and your gt4 back to back. We will definitely have some good battles on the track. Congrats and enjoy in good health.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!!

The tack wrap was not that hard to apply (i chose to do it wet), but is very hard to apply with out bubbles as you can see. i think you would need a heat gun for this and it would not be worth it. it definitely served its purpose and i don't regret doing it. it was fairly expensive, so you could argue that PT would do the job, but i did not want to chance anything on this car...

and joking about the LWB, because i was not able to wait... i will still most likely get a set as i want to keep this car refined but be able to use a harness. other than the use of the harness and the visuals i actually like the 18 way better. didn't think i would say this, but they hug me tight, and are great for everything but using a harness.

and like some have said, between the crappy temp wrap and the phone pics the DBM really doesnt pop in pics like it does in person...
Old 08-04-2015, 01:41 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Looks stunning in DBM with black wheels. Congrats.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:12 PM
NOPDK
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Enjoy
Old 08-04-2015, 02:51 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! It looks beautiful in DBM and black wheels. Very stealth! I have to say, this is my new favorite combo: DBM and black wheels on this thing. When your car is cleaned up, I can't wait to see it in the sun.

BTW, any issues with the approach angle and ride height during your trip?

Congrats!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:38 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention this, yes!

I ended up on a a road with construction on my way home from dealer and ever so slightly scraped while threading the needle and trying my best to keep wheels on even ground.

I scrapped again leaving the parking lot on Sunday in Brooklyn and was even at an angle. i probably could have finagled the car to a more sever angle but it would have taken an austin powers move on the sidewalk to get the angle i would have needed.

In summary be ready to change this at an interval based on your OCD as you will touch in some places...

Can tell i hit it by looking, would have to feel under the piece....

Quick Reply: #sheneedsaname