Sponsored by: APR

New Cayman GTS to have 370hp!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Exactly, most of the Turbos are heavier than their corresponding NA cars - they are also AWD too.
981 and AWD.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts
Default New Cayman GTS to have 370hp!?

Porsche marketers are going to be tieing themselves into knots trying to segment these cars. the turbo cars will have better in gear acceleration times and will probably "feel" faster to the unwashed masses.:: the GT cars with NA engines with potentially slower 0-60 times which are meaningless but somehow important in advertising world... What a mess..
Old 07-31-2015, 12:11 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

Torque matters a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if next GTS with PDK is faster in straight line that current gt4. But as others have said there is more than straight line speed that matters.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM
SingallZ
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I ordered my 981 GTS before this mess.

If I wanted a DFI 4 cylinder boxer motor I'd go buy a BRZ/FRS and drop a turbo in it. Those of you lucky enough to find a GT4, you now own the 993 of the "naturally aspirated" generation.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The source is Georg Kacher - he is very reputable, with hooks into all the German big guns. I'd take what he says at face value.

That said, with the implication that there will be future GT4s, does that take the luster off our cars? It might, depending on whether they add more GT3-ness to it.

On the other hand, if my GT4 fell through, I certainly wouldn't be pissed with a 370hp turbo Cayman GTS. One ECU reflash and an exhaust away from 420hp. Just saying. Don't knock turbo cars...
Old 08-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Jooyoung99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it doesn't sound like like a subaru. I hate that sound.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:40 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,053 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The source is Georg Kacher - he is very reputable, with hooks into all the German big guns. I'd take what he says at face value.

That said, with the implication that there will be future GT4s, does that take the luster off our cars? It might, depending on whether they add more GT3-ness to it.

On the other hand, if my GT4 fell through, I certainly wouldn't be pissed with a 370hp turbo Cayman GTS. One ECU reflash and an exhaust away from 420hp. Just saying. Don't knock turbo cars...
If the future GTS will have 370hp then it's very safe to assume the next GT4/GT4RS will have over 400hp.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:46 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali

So you think it's credible that with the next gen, the cayman s will lose hp and the cayman gts will gain hp? It makes no sense. As I said earlier, either one or both of those hp values is wrong.

As for turbo cars, imo they are horrible. Exhaust note is wrong, turbo whistle sounds crap, and the lack of throttle response and linearity of torque all feels wrong to me. I bought one of the last na amgs, and it looks like I'm buying one of the last na Porsches. I may own these cars for some time...
Old 08-01-2015, 02:20 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
So you think it's credible that with the next gen, the cayman s will lose hp and the cayman gts will gain hp? It makes no sense. As I said earlier, either one or both of those hp values is wrong.

As for turbo cars, imo they are horrible. Exhaust note is wrong, turbo whistle sounds crap, and the lack of throttle response and linearity of torque all feels wrong to me. I bought one of the last na amgs, and it looks like I'm buying one of the last na Porsches. I may own these cars for some time...
+1 what he said.
Couldn't agree more.
I despise turbo lag.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,035 Likes on 555 Posts

I have never driven a 991 turbo S. Wondering if you can detect lag in that car.

My thinking is after you passed a certain level of hp/tq, unless you go WOT, the lag will be less detectable in most driving situations.

Having said that, the lag in the new proposed cayman probably will be detectable.

Lag aside, there is the other issue of the way power is delivered throughout the rev range, and sound.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim

My thinking is after you passed a certain level of hp/tq, unless you go WOT, the lag will be less detectable in most driving situations.

Having said that, the lag in the new proposed cayman probably will be detectable.

Lag aside, there is the other issue of the way power is delivered throughout the rev range, and sound.
There is also the added complexity, and that is probably the main issue for me. And again I am not a turbo basher I have a lot of respect for them. I used to drive a WRX (which has serious lag btw). I liked that car.

But when I look at purchasing a more expensive car, and something I want to keep for the long haul I just want something more... idk... elegant? simple? Maybe it is just because this is the last of an era of NA cars. An S2000 passed by me the other day and I thought, "yeah that is what a car should sound like"
Old 08-01-2015, 12:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

For lap time, chip a TT PDKS Cayman.
For fun GT4.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:02 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim

There is no lag in a turbo S. Comparing them to bRZs and other lower output cars is silly too. The turbo s is massive. Feels massive. Kicks you in the back and keeps begging for more. Anyone thinking that they feel lag is imagining it. I put in 3 days with one up against a GT3 and I became afraid of the turbo s as it had too much power vs its weight. The cars heavy and the awd is the only thing saving you. It's a brute and lacked finesse compared to the GT3. Lag never once crossed any of our lips on those days.

That said, a 4cyl turbo entry level engine will never come close to the turbo S experience and i, like others, am greatful to have gotten in on possiblely the last of the NA flat 6 action.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 120 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that once Cobb makes an Accessport for this new family of engines its gonna be game on.

I really chuckle about all the drama and purist talk behind it. The 912 was never impure. It had the 4 banger from its daddy, the 356. But 6 banger snobs always talked down about their lower powered brother. Now 912 values are sky rocketing.

When the Boxster came along it was impure because it had a water cooler heart. Never mind the water cooler 962 and 959 variants that came before it. Now the GT4 is being compared to the 993 like there was never an air cooled versus water cooled debate.

Porsche has their hands tied with the coming cafes standards. They will not make the Cayman on par with the Carrara. So it gets the smaller heart. But like the old 914 and 912, which outhandled the 911 because of less weight and better balance, these new 4 cylinder midengine cars will be awesome. Now if they would just fix the rear suspension.

Ps. I have a 912,914,air cooled 911,water cooled Cup and a Subaru in my garage. Boxer,boxer,boxer. Boxers forever.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:21 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by SingallZ
I'm glad I ordered my 981 GTS before this mess.

If I wanted a DFI 4 cylinder boxer motor I'd go buy a BRZ/FRS and drop a turbo in it. Those of you lucky enough to find a GT4, you now own the 993 of the "naturally aspirated" generation.
Porsche has said the GT models will continue to be NA. So I'm guessing future gt models will be a lot lighter than today. 981.2 GT4 might be one to watch...... It'll probably have a manual option too, at least. And they're likely to fix the gearing issue, being Porsche. That said, the current gt4 is obviously awesome and a future classic.

Quick Reply: New Cayman GTS to have 370hp!?