Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Hard to stay under 4200 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 AM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Ah, so you took her home already? Damn, I just read about this car a thread over and was planning on heading down to Porsche San Diego to see it during lunch. I also have a white one spec'd.

Will you be bringing her to the Q for auto-x?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,111 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Nice, I have your clone (with some red stitching) coming in Aug. Can't wait to get my GT4.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Sweet Jesus that is Perrrty !!!
I love it
Although I went with the Platimium wheels
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishing
Looks awesome!!! CWM or white? I like what you did with the GT4 on the intake. Did you tint the windows?
Haven't yet but going to.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 AM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by switchface
Ah, so you took her home already? Damn, I just read about this car a thread over and was planning on heading down to Porsche San Diego to see it during lunch. I also have a white one spec'd.

Will you be bringing her to the Q for auto-x?
No, but will be at Chuckwalla in Oct (assuming 2000 miles before then)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:37 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,111 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
No, but will be at Chuckwalla in Oct (assuming 2000 miles before then)
For the PCA SD event? I'll race you in my track built Cayman.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:18 AM
Unzki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manual says nothing about specific RPM guidelines, at least here in the Europe.

It is encouraged to be driven with various RPMs, not short distance drives when cold and no revving when cold (this applies of course always). It says not to participate on racing events too. But nothing on revving it occasionally when warm, pretty much exactly the opposite! Use all the RPM's during bed-in.

Cheers,

Unzki
Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Jon H
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 104 Posts

As discussed in various threads within Rennlist, the 2,000 mile "break-in"
is a USA only (thus lawyer driven) recommendation.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Unzki
The manual says nothing about specific RPM guidelines, at least here in the Europe.

It is encouraged to be driven with various RPMs, not short distance drives when cold and no revving when cold (this applies of course always). It says not to participate on racing events too. But nothing on revving it occasionally when warm, pretty much exactly the opposite! Use all the RPM's during bed-in.

Cheers,

Unzki
Yes.

Originally Posted by Jon H
As discussed in various threads within Rennlist, the 2,000 mile "break-in"
is a USA only (thus lawyer driven) recommendation.
And Yes.

When my SBM GT4 arrives in less than a month, I plan to drive around town with varying speeds, heat cycles, etc. at rpm's up to 5-6k for the first 500 miles or so. Then, I'm going to Motorsport Ranch with several other P-car guys, etc. to get it on.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Well I was planning on breaking mine in a bit before going hard but my only track day is coming fast with my car nowhere near delivered meaning I might end up breaking it in on the race track lol. Oh well.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Nice, I have your clone (with some red stitching) coming in Aug. Can't wait to get my GT4.
Wow I already know of 4 white GT4's with black rims that will be scooting around LA. This one, yours, the one at Auto Gallery and mine.

Mine also has red stitching. The Auto Gallery car has grey.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:13 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
Wow I already know of 4 white GT4's with black rims that will be scooting around LA. This one, yours, the one at Auto Gallery and mine.

Mine also has red stitching. The Auto Gallery car has grey.
You white w/black wheel'd gt4s stay up in LA and us white w/platinum wheel'd gt4s will stay down in San Diego. Battle lines drawn!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:19 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going above 4200rpms won't hurt her at all. It's good to hit all ranges through the rpms
Old 07-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
You white w/black wheel'd gt4s stay up in LA and us white w/platinum wheel'd gt4s will stay down in San Diego. Battle lines drawn!
Like you, mine is the same White,w/ Platinum wheels and Platinum gray stitching
No worries, I am up in the Nor CAL bay area
Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Bonzai30
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The European manuals absolutely suggest a break-in procedure that basically involves taking it easy on the car for the first 3,000 kilometers. (The German version is copied below, and you can use Google Translate to decipher.) What the European manuals don't have, however, is a specific suggestion to keep RPMs below 4,200. That having been said, the European manuals suggest not operating the engines at "high speeds," particularly when they're cold, so it's misleading to suggest that the European manuals don't suggest taking it easy on the engine for a break in period.

Everyone has as different opinion on this, and the good news is that we can all do whatever we want with our own cars. My view is that engine tolerances have gotten much better, so a more deliberate break in period is less necessary than it used to be. However, even modern engines feel noticeably "tight" in the beginning, and horsepower absolutely increases over time...until it decreases as engines break in and eventually wear out. Given this, I do think there's something to be said for letting an engine break in for a while, aka to get "loose," before putting it under high stress, particularly if you plan to keep the car.

That having been said, I think almost no one would experience an early stage engine failure from driving their car like they stole it from the very beginning. What may suffer is some longer term reliability, particularly if you regularly track the car.

This the break in language from the German manual...

Hinweise für die Einfahrzeit

Für Ihren neuen Porsche sind nachstehende Tipps beachtenswert, um die optimalen Laufeigenschaften zu erreichen.

Trotz modernster Fertigungsmethoden mit hoher Präzision lässt es sich nicht vollständig vermeiden, dass sich alle beweglichen Teile "aufeinander einlaufen" müssen. Dies erfolgt im Wesentlichen während der ersten 3000 km.

Information

Sie sollten während der ersten 3000 km:

Längere Fahrstrecken bevorzugen.
Häufige Kaltstarts mit Kurzstreckenbetrieb möglichst vermeiden.
Nicht an Clubsport-Veranstaltungen, Sportfahrschulen usw. teilnehmen.
Hohe Drehzahlen, insbesondere bei kaltem Motor, vermeiden.

Öl- und Kraftstoffverbrauch

Öl- und Kraftstoffverbrauch können während der Einfahrzeit etwas über dem normalen Wert liegen.

Die Werte für den Öl- und Kraftstoffverbrauch finden Sie in den Technischen Daten:

Beachten Sie bitte das Kapitel "MOTORDATEN"
Beachten Sie bitte das Kapitel "KRAFTSTOFFVERBRAUCH UND ABGAS".

Einbremsen neuer Bremsbeläge

Neue Bremsbeläge und Bremsscheiben müssen sich "einschleifen" und haben deshalb erst nach einigen hundert Kilometern ihre optimale Bremswirkung.
Die etwas verminderte Bremswirkung muss durch stärkeren Druck auf das Bremspedal ausgeglichen werden. Das gilt auch nach einem Bremsbelag- bzw. Bremsscheiben-Wechsel.

Einfahren neuer Reifen

Beachten Sie, dass neue Reifen während der ersten Zeit noch nicht ihre volle Haftfähigkeit besitzen.
Die neuen Reifen sollten daher während der ersten 100 bis 200 km nur mit mäßiger Geschwindigkeit gefahren werden.

Quick Reply: Hard to stay under 4200 RPM