New to Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Cayman

Hi all,
I just bought a '14 Cayman S. It has pdk, sports chrono, sports steering wheel, and red leather. I bought this car to track and save miles on my other cars. My question is, are there a few things that you all recommend fixing or swapping out oem parts on this car?
Thanks,
Sean
Old 01-29-2015, 11:38 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 266 Posts

Track experience level? If new to track driving or doing just a few events a year shouldn't need to do anything. Check the tech inspection requirements of the event organizer.

Otherwise it's typical things for street cars- track pads, higher temp fluid. A set of track wheels and stickier tires. These cars need more negative camber to avoid wearing out the tire outer edges. Stock parts generally can get about 1 deg neg. Need LCAs (GT3 or other aftermarket) to get in the 2+ neg range.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:06 PM
SHAG
Racer

I plan on tracking about 10 times a year. I'll likely do breaks and fluid. Do you recommend the camber adjustment if I drive it as dd with different wheels/tires??
Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Purely my opinion, but I'd say neg 2 deg camber is ok for DD. If you are driving a lot of street miles the inner edges will wear. My suggestion would be get a good alignment shop to max out the front camber with stock parts- probably about neg 1 and try that for an event or 2 and see what your tire wear looks like. A track buddy recently got a 15 Cayman GTS and brought it out completely stock. He was with the advanced group and going fast after just a few sessions to get familiar with the car. No issues except he chunked the outside edges of the Goodyears his car came with. They were pretty much shot by Sunday afternoon.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM
SHAG
Racer

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM
SHAG
Racer

I'd like to put a gt3rs style wing on back. any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 AM
drwuss
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zedcat
Purely my opinion, but I'd say neg 2 deg camber is ok for DD. If you are driving a lot of street miles the inner edges will wear. My suggestion would be get a good alignment shop to max out the front camber with stock parts- probably about neg 1 and try that for an event or 2 and see what your tire wear looks like. A track buddy recently got a 15 Cayman GTS and brought it out completely stock. He was with the advanced group and going fast after just a few sessions to get familiar with the car. No issues except he chunked the outside edges of the Goodyears his car came with. They were pretty much shot by Sunday afternoon.
Sorry for thread hijack:
I have a gts as well and would like to get a set of track duty tires & wheels, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 AM
drwuss
Racer

**** As for wing, the tech art looks nice, no idea about functionality.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drwuss
Sorry for thread hijack:
I have a gts as well and would like to get a set of track duty tires & wheels, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I'm not fully up on the 981 track wheel options. GTS is 20in standard right? Most track rats prefer to go smaller for wider range of tire choice and little lower tire cost. I'm pretty sure 19in will fit but don't know about 18in. For tires my favorite street tire that is ok on track is the Yokohama AD08R. Also Hankook RS3. For R comp tires most like the Nitto NT01s but availability has been tight. I have a set stashed in 245/275- 18. You can try Tirerack for wheel/ tire packages. I got the OZ Alegretto 18s from them and happy with them. I see them a lot at the track. Also try a search here and also over on Planet-9. Probably better/ newer info than I have! Good luck
Old 01-30-2015, 03:21 PM
SHAG
Racer

Thanks, what are your thoughts on sport/race seats?
Old 01-30-2015, 04:35 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ****
Thanks, what are your thoughts on sport/race seats?
They're great but raise some issues. Tribal wisdom is they are worth 1 to 2 sec a lap. For the current Porsche sports cars 981, 991 in USA there is no optional factory bucket seats with cut outs for 6 pt harness- except the GT3 (although it seems there are some issues with the passenger seat- another story...). If the seats become available to retrofit they are going to be uber expensive. I have the prior gen Sport Bucket Seats aka GT2 seats. Saw a used set for sale for 7500 recently.

There are lots of aftermarket race seats like Recaro. But with these you lose the integrated thorax airbags and you will get an airbag light on the dash. If you want that off you'll need a shop with the tools and willing to do it. Some dealers will not touch that. Also if you want to set up harnesses you need a rollbar and a substrap bar- or drill and backing plates. With 6 pt harness you also need a hans device. Maybe you already know all this? Anyway it's a significant step in my view. But if you get the track addiction it is just one more step down the slippery slope.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 PM
ML///
Racer

This seemed like the most appropriate place to ask: what are your options when it comes to bolt in half cages for the newer, '14 and up, Caymans? I am interested in moving to the Porsche Cayman family and the GT4 is out of thr question for the time being. What are users impressions of the car while tracking with the electric steering. Does it tell you much of when you need to know? Does it take away from the experience in any way?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:56 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For Cage or roll bar contact Geoff at Bodymotion, for wheels its forgeline and they have the offsets. as for tires Hankooks get some meat on the wheels as for wing, stock is plenty for now. Get some data, like a solo and camera so you can move up when you get to understand the data fully.
Have fun!!!

Quick Reply: New to Cayman