Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cayman S vs Exige

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want an M1 tank for traffic. I want a Ferrari F1 car for autocrosses (last years' not this years' lol) I want a new Rolls Royce and an acytelene torch so i can make a cool flatbed as a yard truck. I want a Cayman S for grins and I want a chopper for bike week. I think it's good that there are different kinds of cars.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

kcpr, I agree the S2000 has far superior controls. . . hell, I prefer the S2000 shifter by a huge margin over my GT3. Friggen rifle bolt.

Personally, I'm embarrased for the Elise. It should crush on the track, but the Boxster S *ON STREET TIRES* handily outperformed the Elise in instrumented track testing *ON RCOMPS*.

That said, at 25k used I'll write a check tomorrow. Maybe 30k. At 50k out the door with LSS (sport package), tax, hardtop, I passed. For me to spend that kind of jack for a single-focused ride, it has to deliver in that role, and deliver big. It doesn't.

IMHO.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:23 AM
willr
Advanced

Obviously the Elise has something going for it, because even those of you who don't rate it compared to a Boxster would buy it at lower cost! Lotus just made a mistake on the US pricing - they tried to charge the same as in the UK, which meant premium price in the US...

No, the Elise isn't a refined daily driver or even as fast (in good hands) on track as the Boxster. But with less weight and less power the drive is all about precision rather than knowing when to nail the throttle.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:13 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"the Boxster runs a 13.4 @ 105"

I was at the track a few months back and there was a new Boxster S running that day. His best run was a 13.60something.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Elise which I've been tracking since April. While it could use more rubber and a stiffer suspension, these bits are available. However, a good driver (I don't mean me!) can really push this car around the track without these upgrades. Where the car falls flat is power, and it appears that the options (turbo or SC) will be really expensive. Nonetheless, I really enjoy the car and will just have to get used to getting passed. I understand that good drivers can do 2:18s at the Glen on the stock sport tires and that the best drivers can do 2:14s on Hoosiers. Those are pretty damned fast times for a 1.8 litre car.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

2.14 at the glen is hauling ***.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

The Boxster is fully 1000 pounds heavier and has power steering. Everything good/bad/different stems from this. The Boxster feels like a luxo-barge in comparison. Which one laps a few tenths faster or slower misses the point IMO.

Regarding comfort and practicality, I drove an Elise most of the day around Santa Cruz and Big Sur, and it was quite comfortable. No issue heel-toeing, shifter felt great. A/C is weak. Those Yoko's have outrageous grip but need to warm up. Driving at the edge of a drift is incredibly easy. Getting in and out with the hardtop in place gets old. Engine sounds awesome with the sport exhaust.

Carrying capacity is pretty good actually. My friend visited me in his. He packed clothes and luggage for 2 weeks, full laptop bag, camping gear including tent and sleeping bag, large first aid kit and an ice chest for food/beer. It all fit in the trunk. The opening is small but there is a lot of room around the edges.

Did I mention he lives 2000 miles away and did a 5000+ mile round trip? With the Sport package.

They are both awesome cars, as much as I like it, I would probably spend my money on the Cayman before the Exige, mostly because I'll take the duller edge along with the increased practicality and comfort for day to day driving.

PS: While he doesn't regret the trip, no, he won't do it again.

Quick Reply: Cayman S vs Exige