Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 GT4 pro's/con's how do they respond to mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 05:31 PM
GT4_Rick
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Arione
30k what? Pesos? headers are a 2k from fabspeed and a tune is another grand. There is no HP increase over the stock PSE so its not even worth doing. You get the better sound just doing longtube headers anyways. The IPD plenum is completely unnecessary and you are better off doing the X51 if you want to take it that far, which admitedly would be alot. but again, unnecessary.
You're being deceitfully simplistic by significantly rounding down the cost of these mods with no mention of install costs which for these cars... ain't cheap at reputable shops.

The Fabspeed race headers are $2889. Link here:https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-cay...-race-headers/. A far distance from '2k', and 40% over your stated figure.

The sport headers are $4506. Link here: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-cay...sport-headers/. A far distance from '2k', and over double your stated figure.

Their tuner is $2636.Link here: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-981...ance-software/. A far distance from 'a grand', and almost triple your stated figure.

Considering how incorrect you are on what you 'think' things cost while simultaneously acting condescending is proof you're a full blown idiot with no valid opinions.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:53 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 124 Posts

I spent $4950 in 2020 having Soul long tube Street headers and Softronic tune installed on my 981 GT4; that’s headers, tune, and installation (not including state sales tax).

Have they gone up that much? At any rate, even if it’s doubled (unlikely) in 4 years, that’s still only a 3rd of $30,000. Unless I’m an idiot, too (entirely possible.)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:11 AM
GT4_Rick
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I spent $4950 in 2020 having Soul long tube Street headers and Softronic tune installed on my 981 GT4; that’s headers, tune, and installation (not including state sales tax).

Have they gone up that much? At any rate, even if it’s doubled (unlikely) in 4 years, that’s still only a 3rd of $30,000. Unless I’m an idiot, too (entirely possible.)
If you're asking me if soul products have gone up 'that much' since 2020, I don't know. I never claimed to have such knowledge. With how crazy the economy has been the last 4 years personally it wouldn't surprise me if someone told me a company had doubled their prices in 4 years since covid started.

If your mention of $30,000 is related to my reference of this line I wrote in a prior post: "Exhaust, intake, tune might put you in the 20K-30k range." I clearly said 'might', and clearly said '20K-30K' so it's interesting you'd choose the top of that range almost as if it was the only number I said. I never said a definitive statement as a matter-of-fact that it will cost 30K.

This fabspeed kit is $12,470 for parts alone:https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-981...age-2015-2016/. If you went to a shop like Origin Fabrication in North GA and got a custom Titanium exhaust made, it'd probably be more.

Lastly, if you know of a great shop that provides killer discounts on parts and labor in GA.....please by all means, share away and I'll also pass it on to other local Porsche enthusiasts so we can all save money.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:21 AM
GT4_Rick
Advanced

Your post got me curious so I googled. Is this the model header and tune you have below? Shows the price at $4435 and $1195. So $5630 in parts cost alone, and to think you may have gotten it all plus the install for $4950, which appears to be less than the cost of the parts alone (Unless I'm an idiot of course, which is entirely possible). Now I'm super excited to find out about this shop!

header
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-g...UaAoVqEALw_wcB

Tune
https://www.softronicsoftware.com/98...software-2016/
Old 04-10-2024, 08:18 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

The shop is great but I wouldn’t foist you on them. I have a good relationship with them.

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2024, 08:50 AM
GT4_Rick
Advanced

The shop is great but I wouldn’t foist you on them. I have a good relationship with them.

Cheers!
So here you're intentionally being unhelpful to the Rennlist & GA Porsche enthusiast community by refusing to recommend shop that by your admission sells products for below cost and provides free labor. (Or the shop doesn't exist and you're making things up which is probably the more likely scenario also intentionally unhelpful).

Cool, glad we got that established.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:23 AM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4_Rick
Your post got me curious so I googled. Is this the model header and tune you have below? Shows the price at $4435 and $1195. So $5630 in parts cost alone, and to think you may have gotten it all plus the install for $4950, which appears to be less than the cost of the parts alone (Unless I'm an idiot of course, which is entirely possible). Now I'm super excited to find out about this shop!

header
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-g...UaAoVqEALw_wcB

Tune
https://www.softronicsoftware.com/98...software-2016/
FWIW, I paid under $1,200 for a Softronic tune four years ago, and I don’t think the cost has gone up much if at all. You install the tune yourself, so there’s no cost there. About two years back, I put in Soul Performance headers, which I think were about $2,800. I think the labor cost of removing the old headers and putting in the new ones was about $700. That would put my total outlay at under $5,000. All of this was done in the last five years.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:29 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Arione
30k what? Pesos? headers are a 2k from fabspeed and a tune is another grand. There is no HP increase over the stock PSE so its not even worth doing. You get the better sound just doing longtube headers anyways. The IPD plenum is completely unnecessary and you are better off doing the X51 if you want to take it that far, which admitedly would be alot. but again, unnecessary.

Some people want more HP, but don't want to get rid of the cat. For maximum/significant gains, the whole airflow stream would need to be modified. If that's the case, one would have to go the route of a Dundon D4 type solution, where the GT3 muffler is required, along associated conversion pipes. Dundon's solution is $16k in parts alone, without the GT3 muffler:

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...31641703776292

Add one of their mufflers, and its $21k for parts.

As for the DeMan 4.5L $50k cost, at least in the recent past, the motor conversion was ~$30k'ish, with the other ~$20k'ish being the cost of the gears/diff. If just going for power, compared to a D4 type solution, the DeMan motor work is compelling.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:48 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

So here you're intentionally being unhelpful to the Rennlist & GA Porsche enthusiast community by refusing to recommend shop that by your admission sells products for below cost and provides free labor. (Or the shop doesn't exist and you're making things up which is probably the more likely scenario also intentionally unhelpful).

Cool, glad we got that established.
Hey, don’t worry, it’s all of us, not you.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff113 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:43 PM
THP23
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 103 Posts

My two cents... I test drove a stock 981 GT4 and was very underwhelmed...The car I ended up purchasing thankfully had $11-12k in exhaust work done to it prior to my ownership (Cargraphic race headers, Akrapovic Ti exhaust), Tune and BMC filters. The difference between the two cars was night and day. Not only was the sound MUCH improved giving an incredible Porsche GT wail, the power and driving experience were also noticeably improved. The secrete sauce with the GT4 isn't that it's a horsepower beast, it's a drivers car. It has the right amount of power:weight which allows you to ring it's neck and push the car while still being fast/quick. You can really drop the hammer a lot in this car which is a blast. A 991 Turbo on the other hand pushing 600+ HP, you'll be feathering the throttle 95% of the time. With Carbon buckets (non-negotiable for me), an engine right behind your head and a shifter that's perfectly placed for the driver, its hard for me to replicate the experience for under $200k. The 981 GT4 is such a fun and engaging car to drive. Another big plus for me personally, this car is the right size.

Sorry for going on a rant. TLDR: Yes, headers, exhaust and tune make a noticeable difference in how the car drives and improves the overall experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by THP23:
Last_935 (04-10-2024), NoGaBiker (04-10-2024), RobC4sX51 (04-10-2024), SFZ GT3 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:08 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

A lot depends on how adapt you are with working on your car. There's a large variance in cost between a dealership vs independent / race shop vs DIY. I do all my own work and don't mind buying gently used parts off Rennslist. In the past four years, I have spent less than $5,000 in suspension (TPC rear toe links, Rennspeed shims, Elephant caster pucks), full catless race headers and exhaust (fvd), engine tune (BMC filters, Softronic tune, peddle controller), safety (F/R toe straps, Schroth harnesses, harness bar) and other upgrades (Apple CarPlay, F/R Cameras). I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Had I purchased everything retail and had a shop do the work, the cost would have been closer to $15,000. Fortunately, I've been working on Porsches and race cars for a long time and have the tools and knowhow to do all the work and maintanence on my cars. As @THP23 stated, these mods have transformed the car into something very special. With that said, if I had $40K to $50K to throw at the car, I would be sending it to DeMan.
SFZ GT3 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 03:37 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by THP23
Sorry for going on a rant. TLDR: Yes, headers, exhaust and tune make a noticeable difference in how the car drives and improves the overall experience.
I'd agree w/ this. I did headers/tune earlier this year and it does improve the experience. Very easy to DIY on this car, too.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:27 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Yep, Headers & Softronic for me as well, and while I was prepared to drop 5k (oops, there I go lying again! ) just for the sound, I was really hoping that the undeniable flatspot would be mitigated. It did that completely and I STILL notice the improvement almost 4 years later. Icing on the cake? If Soul's dyno sheets are to be believed it picks up 30hp peak and a lot more area under the curve everywhere.

A lot of money in a lot of ways, even to get 30hp, compared to the turbo boys, but damn! well worth it once I'd experienced it.
The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
Jeff113 (04-22-2024), Last_935 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 08:23 PM
OUGrad05
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, Headers & Softronic for me as well, and while I was prepared to drop 5k (oops, there I go lying again! ) just for the sound, I was really hoping that the undeniable flatspot would be mitigated. It did that completely and I STILL notice the improvement almost 4 years later. Icing on the cake? If Soul's dyno sheets are to be believed it picks up 30hp peak and a lot more area under the curve everywhere.

A lot of money in a lot of ways, even to get 30hp, compared to the turbo boys, but damn! well worth it once I'd experienced it.
You can't expect similar gains from an NA vs a turbo car, I dont' expect 60hp gains from minor things. 30hp on headers and a tune is a lot IMO. Seems like money well spent if you did it for 5k.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:16 PM
Arione
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

If you're asking me if soul products have gone up 'that much' since 2020, I don't know. I never claimed to have such knowledge. With how crazy the economy has been the last 4 years personally it wouldn't surprise me if someone told me a company had doubled their prices in 4 years since covid started.

If your mention of $30,000 is related to my reference of this line I wrote in a prior post: "Exhaust, intake, tune might put you in the 20K-30k range." I clearly said 'might', and clearly said '20K-30K' so it's interesting you'd choose the top of that range almost as if it was the only number I said. I never said a definitive statement as a matter-of-fact that it will cost 30K.

This fabspeed kit is $12,470 for parts alone:https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-981...age-2015-2016/. If you went to a shop like Origin Fabrication in North GA and got a custom Titanium exhaust made, it'd probably be more.

Lastly, if you know of a great shop that provides killer discounts on parts and labor in GA.....please by all means, share away and I'll also pass it on to other local Porsche enthusiasts so we can all save money.

The 1k for a tune is for the softronic, ok its 1200, I dont care. As for the fabspeed headers being 3k not 2k, I guess prices have changed since 8 years ago. The tune is easily self loadable, and anyone with access to a lift, jack stands, etc can very easily swap the headers, so no labor cost involved. Sure the "full kit" from fabspeed is 13k. But like I said. You dont need cats, you dont need their muffler, you dont need the ipd plenum, and you definitely shouldnt get their tune when softronic is just as good or better for 1/3 the cost.

So again, 30k what? Pesos?

Last edited by Arione; 04-10-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Jeff113 (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: 981 GT4 pro's/con's how do they respond to mods?