Sponsored by: APR

Engine Compartment Purge Fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 11:03 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Engine Compartment Purge Fans

My fans have quit running when I shut the car off. I can operate them with my scanner in both low and high speed modes, so the fans and relays are functioning. The temperature sensor appears to be reading correctly as well, so it seems like some sort of programming issue. As I understand it, if the temperature is above 147F they should operate on low speed, and high speed above 167F after the engine is turned off. It was showing 156F a few minutes after shutdown, so they should have been running on low speed. Any suggestions?

Is this perhaps a function that shuts down when the battery gets weak? I plan to pick up a battery today, so I can see if that makes a difference. Mine is getting weak, in spite of spending most of the last two years on a tender.

Last edited by m3bs; 06-03-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:58 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

GT4 or spyder?
Old 06-04-2023, 12:36 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

GT4, if it makes a difference.

I drove it yesterday while monitoring the engine compartment temp. Between the engine noise and intake air rushing in, I couldn't tell if they were running with the engine on, but the temp was below 130F when I pulled in the driveway. I let it idle for several minutes, and the temp went down, so I suspect they were on. It was well below 147 when I shut it off, so they should not have run then. It did increase to 150 while parked for a while, but I think the cooling program had timed out by then. Maybe warmer weather is needed. It was mid-80s. Can't fix it if it ain't broke?

New battery going in this afternoon, though.
Old 07-13-2024, 04:18 PM
Gregg Bell
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

981 Cayman GT4 with 11,700 miles: I have a Foxwell Diag scanner that I used. I decided to do a diagnostic scan with Foxwell and got code 1672 - engine compartment purge fan code. Eventually figured out that I could activate the fans with my Foxwell under the DME Active Tests section. With the Foxwell determined that on LOW or HIGH speed, only the driver's side (left) ever ran. Passenger (right) side never ran. So I bought 1 new fan Porsche PN 991 624 050 06 (made by SPAL just like the original). After all the work to get the cover off, they're super EZ to pull and replace.

My result is now BOTH run at LOW speed as expected. But only the driver (left) side runs at HIGH speed. Swapped fans from side-to-side, same result - must be a reason Porsche didn't want to run 2 fans at HIGH speed - I'm guessing they didn't like the battery drain. Anyway - even my mechanic didn't remember if there was one or two - there are two. The Foxwell Diag will let you test them, clear the code, etc. And, if you're up for getting the cover off they're super EZ.
Old 07-14-2024, 01:05 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

At least your fans run. When I got my 2016 GT4 from the original owner, neither fan would run because both had been fouled with track snot (chunks of rubber). I got new fans and put mesh screens in the side intakes. The scary thing is I never got a yellow MFD notification in the dash alerting me to the inoperable fans.
Old 07-14-2024, 07:26 PM
Gregg Bell
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
At least your fans run. When I got my 2016 GT4 from the original owner, neither fan would run because both had been fouled with track snot (chunks of rubber). I got new fans and put mesh screens in the side intakes. The scary thing is I never got a yellow MFD notification in the dash alerting me to the inoperable fans.
No dash warning for me either. I only found just doing a "general scan" with the Foxwell Diag..I added the screens too but not soon enough. Had a chip seal lane with some loose gravel. I'm sure my bent shaft is due to that before I put the screens in. I've found a nickel sized one of those rocks in the passenger side air filter box.
The following users liked this post:
Scott O'Connor (07-14-2024)
Old Today, 05:38 AM
El_Duderino99
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Bell
981 Cayman GT4 with 11,700 miles: I have a Foxwell Diag scanner that I used. I decided to do a diagnostic scan with Foxwell and got code 1672 - engine compartment purge fan code. Eventually figured out that I could activate the fans with my Foxwell under the DME Active Tests section. With the Foxwell determined that on LOW or HIGH speed, only the driver's side (left) ever ran. Passenger (right) side never ran. So I bought 1 new fan Porsche PN 991 624 050 06 (made by SPAL just like the original). After all the work to get the cover off, they're super EZ to pull and replace.

My result is now BOTH run at LOW speed as expected. But only the driver (left) side runs at HIGH speed. Swapped fans from side-to-side, same result - must be a reason Porsche didn't want to run 2 fans at HIGH speed - I'm guessing they didn't like the battery drain. Anyway - even my mechanic didn't remember if there was one or two - there are two. The Foxwell Diag will let you test them, clear the code, etc. And, if you're up for getting the cover off they're super EZ.
I've never noted my engine compartment purge fans running when the car is switched off. Would you mind sharing your Foxwell model as I'm looking to troubleshoot. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Purge Fans