Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

CERAKOTE Ceramic Headlight restoration session...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 05:42 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts
Default CERAKOTE Ceramic Headlight restoration session...

...should have used the drill to sand:

Passenger side was just as bad as driver's...only wet sanded with as low as 2000 grit, and still shows "crazing/birds feet". I did the passenger side a few days ago just to get an idea how it would work, but had to redo it as I didn't apply coating evenly. I went against instructions and tried to make a 2nd pass after it had slightly dried...made streaks. Compared to the driver's side, all done today, its way better than it was, but not as clear (residual crazing/birds feet). I went way more aggressive on driver's side, "dry sanding with 800"...all by hand, then moving to 2000 (wet), and finishing with 3000 (wet). Fading light, patience, and desire did not make for a perfectly smooth surface, but got much more of the crazing out. Oddly, I coated the driver's side first, then did passenger, with the same "wet nap", but passenger's side came out more evenly. If I do this again, definitely using drill/polisher. Driver's side has what looks like faint scratches from less than careful car washes over the years. I previously used the CERAKOTE Plastic Trim restorer with great results, happy this time around as well.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 02-26-2023 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chrismalberts (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:19 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Will be curious to see how it holds up over time. Every coating I've ever seen or used, the clear UV layer always fails w/in a year or two and it hazes again.
I think the best product I ever used was from a company called UglyHeadlights, but I think they've been out of business for years now.

Looks good though for less than 20 bux, can't beat it.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:19 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Put their plastic trim coat on a year and a half ago, and much of it still shines. It's an outside car that faces the sun most of the day so, fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: CERAKOTE Ceramic Headlight restoration session...