Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Antigravity lithium ion battery review for 981 GT4/Spyder - Not recommended

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 10:56 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 241 Posts

Been using a 30Ah AG battery for the past 6 months. Didn't buy any of the fancy monitoring equipment and its performed perfectly as a "normal" battery.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:18 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Despite my unsatisfactory experience, I think it is great for anyone that doesn't have any problems and I hope it continues that way. I am a big proponent of lightweight cars and see the value of reducing the weight with a lighter battery. I really wanted it to work for me. Hopefully the technology matures and there are less compatibility issues the next time I need to replace my battery. In the meantime I installed an AGM which should keep me going for the next few years.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:45 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Maybe try an EarthX ETX1200, I've been using one for over three years, and it's LiFePO4 instead of Li.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyd...l#post14689773
The following users liked this post:
Jawnathin (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:41 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,054 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Scott, your guarantee of a refund is generous but my experience did not match with that promise. While I appreciate you offering a refund, it is no good unless you follow through with it. Instead of a refund I was sent a battery that isn't compatible with my car and I never got a response to my email for help. So yes I was stuck with a battery that I cannot use.

With regards to the technical information, as a battery expert those details are important for you to know but as a customer we don't need to know any of that. We drive our cars for pleasure and should not need to concern ourselves with charging profiles, overcharging, discharging, voltage protections or any of that other jargon. All we care about is having a battery that works and there are dozens of less expensive off the shelf batteries that do the job without any of those issues.
Jawnathan you are correct. I can say we do try very hard to educate and explain our products on Rennlist being it is a newer technology, but at times that isn't what a Customer needs or really cares about. In the end we had a hard fail with you as a Customer and I and bummed that it came to point where any Customer posted a negative experiance for any reason regarding our products or service. I have had a similar experiance when putting a set of headers on my Car and they didn't work because they were missing a bung for smog and the fit required a frustrating bit of finagling to get on... So I've been there and understand your perspective, you just want it to work and not mess around or have to understand some aspect you don't care about.

For those reading... we can see with Jawanthan's experiance there is a potential for some cars to still have have an issue with compatibility. If you have any reservations about a purchase of our products please absolutely reach out to us with questions. , or take what you will from Jawnathans comments and our comments and make you decisions. If any part of the communication get slow, or you are frustrated, I am the President of Antigravity, my email in the signature. Chad and I mainly post on here, and I do the heavier tech answers mostly, but I'm the one you can reach out to for any issues.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:52 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Been using a 30Ah AG battery for the past 6 months. Didn't buy any of the fancy monitoring equipment and its performed perfectly as a "normal" battery.
I bought the H5 40AH anti-gravity during the Black Friday sale and installed in my 981 spyder. Has started every time, battery typically starts with 13.2v and on longer runs has got up to 15.0v and stayed there. Never had an issue when I haven't used the car for 2 weeks. Happy with the purchase. I actually think the H5 40Ah is lighter than the quoted weight of 15lbs. Standard battery weighed 35.4lbs and I could feel the difference in the steering immediately.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:49 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

Scott, thank you for your reply and I hope that your customers have an error free experience with your batteries. As a proponent of lightweight cars I truly wish it worked for me.

In response to the above, without using any special tools and only using the voltage reading from the car’s gauges, the voltage was well into the 15v range constantly, possibly hitting/exceeding the 15.4v cut off which triggered the protections and errors on the car. I tried a few different things with the car to lower it. Switching between driving modes, cycling the car on and off, clearing codes using my OBD reader, but I could not get the voltage down and the car to operate without errors. Once I switched back to the lead acid battery the indicated voltage readings were lower, most commonly in the 14v range.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 03-14-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:40 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Scott, thank you for your reply and I hope that your customers have an error free experience with your batteries. As a proponent of lightweight cars I truly wish it worked for me.

In response to the above, without using any special tools and only using the voltage reading from the car’s gauges, the voltage was well into the 15v range constantly, possibly hitting/exceeding the 15.4v cut off which triggered the protections and errors on the car. I tried a few different things with the car to lower it. Switching between driving modes, cycling the car on and off, clearing codes using my OBD reader, but I could not get the voltage down and the car to operate without errors. Once I switched back to the lead acid battery the indicated voltage readings were lower, most commonly in the 14v range.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:46 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Have had an AG 60ah battery in my 981 GT4 for over a year now. Zero issues. Took the old battery out, dropped the new one in, easy. Added the BT module and android app too so I can check the charge level while garaged over the winter and that just works.

Last edited by ajw45; 03-19-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:37 AM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts

I installed the H5 40AH battery yesterday, no issues with it so far. Car cranks and springs to life instantly.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:03 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

Aren’t these cars programmed to increase the alternator voltage as the battery ages?

Wouldn’t telling the car it has a new battery (using PIWIS) bring the charging voltage back down under 15.0v?

Last edited by DriverDaily; 03-19-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:39 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I've been using another brand of lithium battery in my Panamera Turbo and more recently in my 981 GT4. Last week, after installing a new powered device in the car (a hardwired gps box), and reconnecting the battery, the car started charging higher and triggered a bunch of faults. I am now replacing it with a 60AH AGM in H5 size (39 lbs) battery hoping the faults will clear.

I got a parking brake failure, traction/stability control failure and no autoblip. Two of these are quite serious.

Anti-Gravity reports above in several posts that these things can be tricky to negotiate with the vehicle's computer brains. For me, it was good while they got along, then bam.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:39 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I've been using another brand of lithium battery in my Panamera Turbo and more recently in my 981 GT4. Last week, after installing a new powered device in the car (a hardwired gps box), and reconnecting the battery, the car started charging higher and triggered a bunch of faults. I am now replacing it with a 60AH AGM in H5 size (39 lbs) battery hoping the faults will clear.

I got a parking brake failure, traction/stability control failure and no autoblip. Two of these are quite serious.

Anti-Gravity reports above in several posts that these things can be tricky to negotiate with the vehicle's computer brains. For me, it was good while they got along, then bam.
I've seen plenty of people get the parking brake failure w/ the oem battery too. Thought that one was typically a "happens once, but then doesn't usually reappear kinda thing".
But seems strange that it would automatically start charging higher after the install of the gps unit. You sure it's not related considering that was the only change since getting the new problems?
Old 01-17-2023, 12:58 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

It was a very strange timing coincidence, eh? The gps device is the Tack Nanny. It closes the exhaust valve, even at higher rpm's when the car gets close to the microphone location at a noise controlled track. It is powered from a switched port in the right rear fuse box,and grounded to the chassis. The wiring harness plugs in at the point the engine has a harness going to the exhaust valve. The device is working properly, with the valves opening and closing on command from the box. Doesn't make sense the new faults are connected to that.

Other candidates as the problem source include the position sensor switches in and for the brake and clutch pedals. Theory being that if the car doesn't know where the brake pedal is, it can't decide how to apply traction and stability control, and/or if it doesn't know where the clutch pedal is, it can't apply autoblip intervention.

We're trying the battery replacement first, coding the new AGM battery to the car, and hoping a lower charge level will allow those sensitive control circuits to get back to normal.

Hopefully I'll remember to post again here once we have it fully sorted.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

I' got a lithium battery from E3, a competitor of Anti-Gravity. All was well with it in my 2012 911S for over a year. When I sold that car, I put the battery in my 981 GT4. For 6 months it was great, Then, last week, a flurry of fault codes landed, including parking brake, ESC/Traction control, and the autoblip quit working. My indy mechanic is installing a 60AH AGM H5 battery today, and coding it to the car, in hopes of clearing those faults. I also have one of these E3's in my 2016 Panamera Turbo, where it's been fine for almost 3 years now.

One of the tricky aspects of mating lithium batteries to Porsches is, obviously, they don't all have problems, but some do.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:46 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor

Hey Scott, and all who read this...

While I can't say what your problem is, there does seem to be a direct correlation between the new item (GPS) you installed, and getting new flags. You did not mention the Amp Hours of the Lithium Batteries you installed but that can be very important, becasue if you have a lower Amp Hour Lithium Battery or even smaller low Amp Hour Lead Acid Battery in your Car you are prone to having it in a lower state of charge more often since it has a much smaller capacity. So under loads if the Battery has a lower Amp Hour rating and is not in a well charged condition it can drop in voltage and trigger flags.

Also note modern Porsches have an Intelligent Battery Sensor on the Cable that goes to the battery, this Sensor, when it senses a lower than programmed voltage, or sees voltage or current anomolies will throw flags. These flags are voltage related so that is why you see mainly the same ones such as Steering, or Rear Wheel Steering since Porsches use electric Power Steering. A Battery won't cause the Brake Flags. But as you can see from literally hunrdeds and hundreds of Posts on Rennlist the flags are coming from Lead/Acid batteries and that is usually because they are in a low voltage state, or going bad, but also just as important some people, like you yourself , have put on aftermarket accessories that tend to draw energy and create conflict with the IBS reading the current/voltage to the battery and that triggers flags and gremlins.

Lastly, I want to say that the Car cannot tell the difference between the DC Voltage it recieved be it Lithium or Lead/Acid, what it notices is if there are any voltage anomolies. For example we found many Cars were charging above 15v and that was creating the anomoly in our early batteries with the 981 because the Porsches were going over-voltage and triggering our battery protections system in our battery, which then triggered flags because the IBS was seeing our battery knock-down the over voltages the car was sending to the battery. But we programmed in a change and that went away. Anyway my point being not to assume it is the Lihtium Battery right away, because they will work fine. It appears you car had been running well until you installed that new GPS device and the fact that it appears to intrude in the Porsche System in several ways from what you are saying it does. So, you might want to try to "baseline" your settings, meaning put you lithium back in WITHOUT the new GPS device see if the flags go away, then you have the baseline of knowing your Lithium Battery does work fine and that the issue is with the GPS, then put the Lead/Acid in and see if it works with that, then you can really see if it was battery related. Then you always know you can go back to your original Lithium and know it works.

Good luck with this, I know chasing flags can be a pain.

Quick Reply: Antigravity lithium ion battery review for 981 GT4/Spyder - Not recommended