Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Quick review: Softronic tune, stock GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 10:39 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,752 Likes on 853 Posts

Also, will not work on Chromebooks. You can get it to work on Apple if you have a virtual windows desktop. In other words, if you are running your Mac as a PC it should work according Softronic.

I may just have to buy an inexpensive PC so that I can swap out tunes as my work PC is not having it. Good thing I work for Lenovo. PM me if you want the friends and family discount.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:52 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Quick update, took the Spyder out for a spin this afternoon. Much more peppy. Brakes traction easier when accelerating and is definitely more "woke". You have to have a bit more finesse when accelerating out of a corner and it pulls strong all the way to redline. I would argue that this is the best bang for your buck performance wise.

Last edited by MaddMike; 02-06-2022 at 11:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mgordon18 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm going to do this before track season starts but add headers too for max. The soul catted headers look like the ticket. Will also add new air filters.

There was this recent thread which didn't get many looks as it was in the wrong section, but shows how good the gains are - https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l-headers.html

Based on the data from the above thread, on a big boy track like WGI this will be notable gains in lap time.

Improving the feel and power delivery of the engine is also a big goal, sounds like this will be the ticket.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:42 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't forget that the mods done on the car in that thread include an IPD plenum and larger throttle body in addition to the Soul Street (catted) Headers.

For me, this year is proper alignment (i.e. toe links, camber plates) and initial, proof-of-concept tune. Next winter will be more muscle (headers, plenum, throttle body). My original original plan was to wait about 5 years and go for the well-known larger engine transformation, but I believe I've burned that bridge! Oh well...
Old 02-06-2022, 04:17 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Don't forget that the mods done on the car in that thread include an IPD plenum and larger throttle body in addition to the Soul Street (catted) Headers.

For me, this year is proper alignment (i.e. toe links, camber plates) and initial, proof-of-concept tune. Next winter will be more muscle (headers, plenum, throttle body). My original original plan was to wait about 5 years and go for the well-known larger engine transformation, but I believe I've burned that bridge! Oh well...
My reading has shown the IPD plenum doesn't add very much if at all with headers and tune, I don't think its really necessary. I would get it if I was doing intake runners. Its also a PITA to install, as my cage would have to come out so doesn't seem worth it.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:37 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Ah - that's good to know. My thought was that allowing more air to come in through the plenum and larger throttle body would help to open everything up that much more - especially if the exhaust headers can take the extra volume. But I'll be the first to admit that I don't know jack sh*$ about engines.

Do you have any links handy to what you've read? I'd like to get more info.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:02 AM
Cueballbb
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Search Dundon

There are several links regarding Dundon headers and Dundon Motoroorts in general. Also check YouTube and Dundon website. Dundon has done the research and testing and lays out the answers to your question with data and not opinion. Dundon level 1 while not the least cost is the gold standard for first level performance increase. Again search and read the threads and don’t just take a single opinion.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:21 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Quick question. I had to buy a inexpensive PC to do this with as my work PC was firewalled and would not run it.

Now my problem is trying to load the stock file back on the handheld. I am able to load the stock file. When I select it I get the warning "This is not a valid FPF file. Cannot read it. Unable to decrypt buffer(1) [705].

This sucks as the whole point of going this route was to be able to revert to stock for warranty reasons. Anyone have this issue or know how to get around it? The stock file name is "MYGFile.fpf" is that the file that you guys have as your stock?
Old 02-09-2022, 03:41 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Call Scott, Mike. I'm SURE he'll be able to help you out.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:05 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Quick question. I had to buy a inexpensive PC to do this with as my work PC was firewalled and would not run it.

Now my problem is trying to load the stock file back on the handheld. I am able to load the stock file. When I select it I get the warning "This is not a valid FPF file. Cannot read it. Unable to decrypt buffer(1) [705].

This sucks as the whole point of going this route was to be able to revert to stock for warranty reasons. Anyone have this issue or know how to get around it? The stock file name is "MYGFile.fpf" is that the file that you guys have as your stock?
Hello,
As mentioned in the flashing instructions I sent with the file it will be on the handheld after flashing..... You did not read out an original file yet the ID for it .

Also as a rule work computers do not work as they have firewalls, program blockers etc.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:31 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,
As mentioned in the flashing instructions I sent with the file it will be on the handheld after flashing..... You did not read out an original file yet the ID for it .

Also as a rule work computers do not work as they have firewalls, program blockers etc.

Best,
Scott
I guess I missed that note. So, to revert back to stock, I plug the handheld back in and I will have that option?

I figured the firewall was the initial issue I had so I bought a dedicated laptop for this. I noticed that the card only has up to Windows 10. I downgraded my Windows 11 to Windows 10 in case that was the issue. With 11 it was not recognizing either file. Once I went to Windows 10, it allowed me to upload the tuned file to the handheld. Is Windows 11 not compatible?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:17 AM
AIRMOVR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say the instructions are good and the tune flashed fine but if you ask Scott more than 2 or 3 questions about retuning for future mods, his answers become very short, evasive and he apparently becomes annoyed. Lesson learned.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:19 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AIRMOVR
I will say the instructions are good and the tune flashed fine but if you ask Scott more than 2 or 3 questions about retuning for future mods, his answers become very short, evasive and he apparently becomes annoyed. Lesson learned.
Real question is what does it measure on your butt-dyno?
Old 12-15-2022, 08:46 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

My butt dyno says it smoothed out the dips in the torque curve a bit, but I can’t say that I can feel 30 HP. I got spoiled by tunes on a turbo car. Maybe I need to add headers…or a 4.5.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:11 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 165 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Real question is what does it measure on your butt-dyno?
I believe AIRMOVR owns a 991.1 TTS .... Some posting own a 981 GT4 also and others a 718 GT4, Spyder or GTS.

Quick Reply: Quick review: Softronic tune, stock GT4