Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Bringing the Spyder home 1,200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 06:07 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 847 Posts

So, I am barely getting to know my 981 Spyder. I had originally set out to get a 718 but I couldn't find an allocation so I found the above 981. Then on January 3rd my SA calls me and tells me that due to the the buyers ahead of me being out of state, they bumped me to the top of the list and my allocation is due. Damn!

I thought about it for a little and decided to go ahead and order the 718 Spyder. I'm still unsure what I'm going to do as I can probably flip the 718 and make money as I am buying at MSRP. Or, sell/trade the 981 and get most of my money back.

There are things I like better about the 981 and things I like better about the 718. The good thing about owning the 981 is that I know which options I like and which I can pass on. I ended up ordering the same color with the Porsche classic interior as I love that look.

Key differences on my 718 build are:
  • I went with the red roof. I think that makes it pop and stand out
  • PCCBs, I like the 718 wheels in silver and brake dust would drive me crazy.
  • Full buckets--just because I had them and CCB in my Alfa that I just sold
  • Silver wheels (although I also like the platinum satin wheels)
  • Multi-functional steering wheel (I don't like the look but I like the heat)

Things I dropped:
  • Extended leather dash--on the 718 it is red leather up to the windshield while it is black with red stitching on the 981--which I much prefer so I just passed on it on the 718
  • Not available is painting the intakes and lower mirrors. I think this looks great on the 981 but it is not an option on the 718
  • Black wheels, best looking wheels on the 981 but I like the detail on the 718 wheels
  • Leather seat backs. Not really seen IMO and not an option on full buckets anyway
  • Navigation--always outdated anyway and you can get Android Auto and Carplay to work with a $200 hack on the 718
  • Leather steering and shifter--this was a toss up but with the more aggressive seats, I felt the Race-Tex works better
  • Painted hoops--the flying brake light is MIC plastic on the 718. So you end up with a bunch of MIC black plastic back there and I think two orphaned silver hoops stand out

Things I kept:
  • Burmester sound--freaking awesome and I use that every day. I don't like the way Bose sounds so this was an easy decision and it is cheaper on the 718
  • Color palate--I like the blue offering but in the end decided to stick with the tied and true silver
  • Classic interior--I think this makes the car special and really stand out from other convertibles
Here is my build. Still not locked so feedback or suggestions are appreciated.http://www.porsche-code.com/PN2VJPE7

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-13-2022 at 06:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
david968s (01-14-2022), JBM718GTS (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It’s a great spec - nothing really wrong - however why not consider something really unique and get a PTS color and really turn heads ?
My yellow spyder is not a PTS color but stands out and is a rare color - as for LWBs - I’ve been driving with them for a couple of months now and I’m getting used to them - still working on getting in and out without trying to rub against and squash the lower bolster
Old 01-13-2022, 09:37 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

I should have asked - does the 718 come with a back up camera as standard ? Im glad I have it on the spyder as rear vision is not that great
Old 01-13-2022, 09:59 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by optimaxed
I should have asked - does the 718 come with a back up camera as standard ? Im glad I have it on the spyder as rear vision is not that great
Yes it does. However, my 981 does have it but I think it is US Federal law that all new cars must have it.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:01 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

It’s a great spec - nothing really wrong - however why not consider something really unique and get a PTS color and really turn heads ?
My yellow spyder is not a PTS color but stands out and is a rare color - as for LWBs - I’ve been driving with them for a couple of months now and I’m getting used to them - still working on getting in and out without trying to rub against and squash the lower bolster
Sure, PTS is cool (I love Dark Sea Blue and some.of the greens but I'm not a fan of bright colors) but I consider myself lucky to get an allocation at all. No way I would get a PTS allocation.

I guess I can't hurt to ask. Something like this but with lighter wheels but I love that classic Spyder interior.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-13-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:45 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

I have to admit that the Porsche Racing Green is also sick:http://www.porsche-code.com/PNXM5M38
Old 01-13-2022, 10:57 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

They have some stunning green colors…. Maybe worthwhile waiting extra 3 months for PTS allocation but doesn’t hurt to ask….you still have a great toy to drive in the meantime
Old 01-14-2022, 12:07 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

They have some stunning green colors…. Maybe worthwhile waiting extra 3 months for PTS allocation but doesn’t hurt to ask….you still have a great toy to drive in the meantime
Ugh, you are 100% right. I'm in no rush and if I can get a PTS, that would be a forever type car and worth it. I'll call my SA tomorrow. I don't think it's possible but I can ask.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:40 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 543 Posts

Even though I prefer the 981 I'm sure you'll like the 718- though, have you heard one? A friend of mine has one of both and IMHO, and his, there is no comparison. Save some $$ for an aftermarket exhaust...

I was lucky to get PTS on mine and if you could swing it, I'd definitely go for it. In the long run, if you ever sell it, I don't think you'd lose any $.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 12:46 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 124 Posts

Just be aware that PRG doesn’t actually look like it does in the configurator. It was a standard color a few years ago (997/987) and it looks fine but doesn’t pop nearly as much as the configurator.

MaddMike (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 10:00 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Just be aware that PRG doesn’t actually look like it does in the configurator. It was a standard color a few years ago (997/987) and it looks fine but doesn’t pop nearly as much as the configurator.

Yeah, that certainly does not look too special.

Check out this thread with all the 718 PTS colors. Forest Green or even some of the darker greens would work like Underburg or Oak Green Metallic. This is all a pipe dream anyway. I really like the Oslo blue but it won't work with the classic interior. Would look good with the yellow calipers and stitching though.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...er-thread.html

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-14-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:44 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike

Check out this thread with all the 718 PTS colors.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...er-thread.html
Well thanks. You just wasted an hour of my life. That's an addictive thread right there!
MaddMike (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:18 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

I prefer the 981 as well, but you’re in a no-lose situation here. You’ll keep the one that you prefer, and not lose money on the one you give up. Totally agree on PTS if you can get it. That will make the car truly special/your own.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:17 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by evil panda
I prefer the 981 as well, but you’re in a no-lose situation here. You’ll keep the one that you prefer, and not lose money on the one you give up. Totally agree on PTS if you can get it. That will make the car truly special/your own.
Well, I went in to the dealership today and that is a no-go on PTS as the '22 cars are all spoken for and if I wanted a PTS it would be a '23 and there are no allocations for any 718 '23s and the dealer doesn't know if there will be any.

So, I did finalize the build on my car. The dealer asked that if I decide not to take it in the end or if I decide to sell my 981 that I give them the first right of refusal as they said they will meet or beat any offer including buying the 718 from me for a small profit. So, really it is a win-win.

I did add three things to my final build: painted rollbars, leather wheel and shifter (both like on my 981) as my SA convinced me that they will wear quickly and not look good. I have to say that based on my previous car, I agree. The last thing I added was the leather sun visors. I have the base on my 981 and while not a deal breaker is just nice to have.

Last edited by MaddMike; 01-14-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:18 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Well thanks. You just wasted an hour of my life. That's an addictive thread right there!
Glad I could help distract you today. It is a fun thread. Always good to see some crazy and beautiful colors.

Quick Reply: Bringing the Spyder home 1,200 miles