Sponsored by: APR

Battery Time for my GT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Default Battery Time for my GT4

Well, it's been 5 years since my build date and the Exide Battery (60Ah) that came on my car is up for replacement.
I only drive the car on the weekends, so I've been quite pleased with this H5 DIN group battery.
It's still working, but I can tell that it's time for replacement.

One of the problems that I've run across in my search for a new battery is that many of the "compatibility" apps on a major battery website such as Interstate, Optima, and DieHard (all made by CLARIOS) do not show anything applicable for the GT4.

I believe that this is due in part by Porsche not releasing the specs to the battery manufacturer. For example, the Interstate website only shows compatibility for the 911 and nothing else.
Meanwhile, DieHard does indeed show an H8 group battery for the GT4. However, it weighs a hefty 59 lbs., and I'm sure I can be fairly happy with a less powerful battery like the H5 which weighs a lot less at 33 lbs. Moreover, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area where temps are mild all year around so I dont need to worry about temperature being a factor in my purchase.

My OEM Exide (pictured below) is a 5KO-915-105D
It is standard equipment on many German Automotive Group cars such as Audi and VW.
That part number has been replaced by 000-915-105-DE

Fortunately, my VW dealer carries this battery and it only costs $155.
As a AAA member, I get another 10% off.

No need to buy a battery from your local "stealership" for insane amounts of money.
I believe Porsche will charge you at least $380 for a 9A7-915-105-00

Hope this helps others who are in the same boat!

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-02-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:13 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

But it doesn’t say Porsche on it
Old 06-02-2021, 10:18 PM
Kelsey
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you know if it’s a AGM battery?
Old 06-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Well, it's been 5 years since my build date and the Exide Battery (60Ah) that came on my car is up for replacement.
I only drive the car on the weekends, so I've been quite pleased with this H5 DIN group battery.
It's still working, but I can tell that it's time for replacement.

One of the problems that I've run across in my search for a new battery is that many of the "compatibility" apps on a major battery website such as Interstate, Optima, and DieHard (all made by CLARIOS) do not show anything applicable for the GT4.

I believe that this is due in part by Porsche not releasing the specs to the battery manufacturer. For example, the Interstate website only shows compatibility for the 911 and nothing else.
Meanwhile, DieHard does indeed show an H8 group battery for the GT4. However, it weighs a hefty 59 lbs., and I'm sure I can be fairly happy with a less powerful battery like the H5 which weighs a lot less at 33 lbs. Moreover, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area where temps are mild all year around so I dont need to worry about temperature being a factor in my purchase.

My OEM Exide (pictured below) is a 5KO-915-105D
It is standard equipment on many German Automotive Group cars such as Audi and VW.
That part number has been replaced by 000-915-105-DE

Fortunately, my VW dealer carries this battery and it only costs $155.
As a AAA member, I get another 10% off.

No need to buy a battery from your local "stealership" for insane amounts of money.
I believe Porsche will charge you at least $380 for a 9A7-915-105-00

Hope this helps others who are in the same boat!

When you installed this battery in your GT4 did you need to do anything to the computer in the car to initialize the battery, or is it just a matter of pulling the old one out and connecting the new one?
Old 06-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Shandingo
When you installed this battery in your GT4 did you need to do anything to the computer in the car to initialize the battery, or is it just a matter of pulling the old one out and connecting the new one?
I havent installed the new Exide battery yet.

But YES, I'm told by my Porsche service advisor that they do in fact have to initialize the battery by inputting the battery info (manufacturer, serial number, date, etc).
They charge $230 for the initialization whether or not I install it myself.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-04-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:46 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

But YES, I'm told by my Porsche service advisor that they do in fact have to initialize the battery by inputting the battery info (manufacturer, serial number, etc).
Takes less than 2 minutes (see video below) and they charge $230 for the initialization whether or not I install it myself.
So the service advisor told me to just come over for my oil service and they'll install the battery for me.
Thought I could save some money installing it myself, but it appears not.
The money that I save buying my own battery winds up getting
eaten up by the battery inititalization.

Don’t fall for this, please. My indy guy did it in 30 seconds. Can’t recall exactly how, but don’t think it was exactly a high tech maneuver. I bet you can google up how it’s done.

(42) How to Perform a Battery Reset on Porsche cars and SUVs - YouTube

But YES, I'm told by my Porsche service advisor that they do in fact have to initialize the battery by inputting the battery info (manufacturer, serial number, etc).
Takes less than 2 minutes (see video below) and they charge $230 for the initialization whether or not I install it myself.
So the service advisor told me to just come over for my oil service and they'll install the battery for me.

Don’t fall for this, please. My indy guy did it in 30 seconds. Can’t recall exactly how, but don’t think it was exactly a high tech maneuver. I bet you can google up how it’s done.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Don’t fall for this, please. My indy guy did it in 30 seconds. Can’t recall exactly how, but don’t think it was exactly a high tech maneuver. I bet you can google up how it’s done.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 494 Likes on 362 Posts

Many threads on this issue. As I understand it two important issues with initialization. The most important is switching from lead-acid to AGM which has a different charging profile. The other is the date of service. There is supposedly an age profile for charging. Not resetting that date could overcharge a new battery. There are other tools besides PIWIS that can reset the battery. You are in the Bay area so a good battery maintainer is less important, but if you leave the car undriven for a long period of time a CTEK or equivalent battery maintainer will extend the life of the battery.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Yup, my Indy guy Eric at Pacific Power Motorsports here in the SF East Bay says that although recoding the battery isnt as simple as 30 seconds (as some You Tube video's show) it takes roughly 45 minutes to get it done right.

Just made an appointment with him for an oil change, brake flush, and battery install later this month.
I'm only at 11,700 miles.

Pacific Power Motorsports – German Auto Repair (ppmga.com)

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-03-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:10 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Well, I just replaced the battery in my GT4 (was the original OEM). Wasn't successful in locating the Exide battery, but did find one that is 1 inch wider and marginally heavier than the OEM battery (not an issue as I don't track the car and am not trying to shave ounces). No issues with installation and no programming. I try to keep power to the car via a charger to preserve electronic settings.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:23 PM
One911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

is this the same issue with aftermarket lithium batteries?
Old 06-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by One911
is this the same issue with aftermarket lithium batteries?
I believe so.

But reading through the Antigravity website they claim that you can just do a swap and not worry about "coding" or any registration process, if you continue to have the system energized with a donor battery/memory saver.

Specific to Porsche, they say the following:

Many Modern Vehicles have an optional LITHIUM setting when changing out the battery and doing the Registration and Coding for a new Battery installation. In most every Case you will NOT need to choose the Lithium Setting for most cars since our Antigravity Lithium Battery will work perfectly fine with the Car’s standard setting. For example Porsche has a Lithium Setting in its PIWIS system, but we tell people to ignore this and just directly replace the Battery without changing the setting to Lithium unless they are Racing or Tracking a lot. We have found this works the best.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,054 Likes on 592 Posts

I believe so.

But reading through the Antigravity website they claim that you can just do a swap and not worry about "coding" or any registration process, if you continue to have the system energized with a donor battery/memory saver.

Specific to Porsche, they say the following:

Many Modern Vehicles have an optional LITHIUM setting when changing out the battery and doing the Registration and Coding for a new Battery installation. In most every Case you will NOT need to choose the Lithium Setting for most cars since our Antigravity Lithium Battery will work perfectly fine with the Car’s standard setting. For example Porsche has a Lithium Setting in its PIWIS system, but we tell people to ignore this and just directly replace the Battery without changing the setting to Lithium unless they are Racing or Tracking a lot. We have found this works the best.

To clarify this a bit...the Coding and Registration part is for selecting the correct Amp Hours/Capacity of your battery and putting in a date as the installation date of the battery and to get a serial # of the battery to sort of make sure you are using one of the Porsche or other recommended batteries that they want you to buy. The facts are that these smart charging system will mildly change the Charging profile to the Battery as the battery ages and takes into consideration that a battery may need more charging as it ages. The reason we/Antigravity claim with our Lithium Battery that you do not need to change or update the Coding/Registration is because the Charging profile does not change very dramatically and will not harm our battery at all in either a new or older charging profile that the Cars system may put out.

To be honest, the modern Batteries are not getting a longer life from all the changing of the charging profiles and such. It appear nowadays there is a sort of built-in obsolescence of about 4 years give or take a year for a lead acid battery. So with all the new Charging Systems that are so technologically advanced and allow the cars to meet stricter emissions and mileage standards, its odd how the life of the average battery had gone down since about 10 years ago.

Last for a Lead/Acid Battery Change out if the car is in the 3 year old range we don't really feel you need to do all the coding, but if its 5 years old you may want to do it since the cars system will be at its most aged charging profile.
teej05 (02-09-2024)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:37 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

I was starting to experience slightly longer crank times to start and replaced my oem battery last fall (2015 build). Zero issues with the antigravity battery in my GT4 and the car starts immediately. It made winter storage SO much more convenient, battery probably could have lasted all winter np but being able to check the battery level with the bt app was awesome and no more leaving the frunk open in the garage.
Antigravity (06-07-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 05:28 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Bought this 000-915-105-DE from my VW dealer for $155.
Received another 10% off with a AAA card.
Replaces my OEM Exide.
Weighs 37.0 lbs
Lead acid.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-22-2021 at 07:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
Blizzo (05-22-2022), Space Coast GT3 (06-19-2021), spoolinq (02-09-2023)
Old 06-19-2021, 09:48 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Well, I just replaced the battery in my GT4 (was the original OEM). Wasn't successful in locating the Exide battery, but did find one that is 1 inch wider and marginally heavier than the OEM battery (not an issue as I don't track the car and am not trying to shave ounces). No issues with installation and no programming. I try to keep power to the car via a charger to preserve electronic settings.
Which battery was it? Can you give some more details?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Battery Time for my GT4