Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Has anyone had trouble engaging 2nd gear at speed/on track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:48 AM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone had trouble engaging 2nd gear at speed/on track?

I have a somewhat-difficult-to-consistently-reproduce problem with 2nd gear in my car. I notice it sometimes on the street, but mostly on the track. When I try to engage 2nd gear while going above ~45ish mph (the higher the speed, the more likely the issue), I sometimes... just can't do it. It feels like I'm locked out by a rubber stopper or something. No metal on metal feeling or clanging, no synchro grinding so far as I can tell. I just can't shove it into 2nd.

As I said, it's inconsistent, so I haven't pinned down the exact conditions that cause it. But it seems to be more easy to reproduce the issue after I've been driving spiritedly for a bit, so I assume it may be a problem specific to a warmed up trans? If I do eight 25-minute sessions in a track weekend, it might only happen in two or three of them, and even then, only in the last half or so of the session.

At first I thought it might be because I was getting faster, and maybe cornering speeds and lateral Gs, or braking Gs, were pulling the transmission out of alignment somehow? I've heard that can be an issue with street cars as you become faster, but I figured Porsche engineers would solve for it in a GT car. Also, I'm 95% sure I've experienced the issue in a straight line under no braking, and 100% sure I've reproduced it in a straight line with or without braking.

For what it's worth, I have the post-recall transmission, but I experienced the problem on occasion even before the upgrade.

That's my overly long winded explanation of the problem, thanks for reading. Anyone have any ideas? My warranty expires soon, and I guess I'll ask the dealer about it anyway, but was hoping someone might be able to give me a better idea of what could be going on before I do so. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:21 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

There does seem to be a mechanical lockout in first gear, that makes it more difficult to slot the gear when downshifting at an RPM that will cause an over rev.
If you've engaged the Sport button, in any gear the downshift blip won't happen, giving you audible feedback so you can select a higher gear before reengaging the clutch.
I haven't seen either documented.

Last edited by d00d; 06-06-2020 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:37 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

I notice it on the street as well. Never had it happen on track. My car has its original transmission and was not part of the recall. 26k miles and currently running Mobil 1 Delvac trans fluid. There is an occasional slight hesitation/block when shifting into 2nd when cold. I've just chalked it up to the Delvac fluid as I heard it isn't quite as smooth as the PTX when cold.
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:56 AM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

How many track days or years has it been since you’ve changed your transmission fluid? I had the issue of shifting into 2nd and sometimes 3rd (987). Changing the trans fluid fixed it and my shifting became smooth again without any misses.
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:25 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

When you're downshifting into 2nd, especially when you're a little excited or distracted (like when on track), it's easy to pull the shift lever a little too hard to the left and go past the lockout detent into the reverse channel. When that happens, you can't pull the shift lever back because it is blocked. It feels like a problem with the trans, but it's really an over-enthusiastic driver issue.

There were plenty of complaints about this when the 981 GT4 first came out (do a search). Once people learned to be a little more gentle on their downshifts, the problem went away.

Try shifting with your fingertips and wrist, rather than your whole arm -- it'll be easier to feel what's happening during the shift.
The following 2 users liked this post by BillC3:
paradocs98 (06-06-2020), RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-06-2020, 02:55 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by 9eight7
How many track days or years has it been since you’ve changed your transmission fluid? I had the issue of shifting into 2nd and sometimes 3rd (987). Changing the trans fluid fixed it and my shifting became smooth again without any misses.
Hmm, I've never changed the transmission fluid. I don't recall there even being a recommended change interval in the maintenance manual, is it? I'll have to check again. But regardless, I've only taken the car to about seven track weekends (so maybe five to six total hours of track time?), and only have less than 7K total miles on the clock. Plus, I think the first time I noticed the issue was a couple track weekends and maybe 2K miles ago.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:59 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by BillC3
When you're downshifting into 2nd, especially when you're a little excited or distracted (like when on track), it's easy to pull the shift lever a little too hard to the left and go past the lockout detent into the reverse channel. When that happens, you can't pull the shift lever back because it is blocked. It feels like a problem with the trans, but it's really an over-enthusiastic driver issue.

There were plenty of complaints about this when the 981 GT4 first came out (do a search). Once people learned to be a little more gentle on their downshifts, the problem went away.

Try shifting with your fingertips and wrist, rather than your whole arm -- it'll be easier to feel what's happening during the shift.
Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. Guess that could be it... I'll have to continue to keep an eye on it. I feel like that would be bizarre given how it seems to happen several times in a row sometimes. I would have thought I wasn't inept enough to make that mistake repeatedly, hah, but certainly not impossible. If so, yet another reason I wish the reverse lockout worked differently than just having to jam the transmission to the left, heh.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:25 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Hmm, I've never changed the transmission fluid. I don't recall there even being a recommended change interval in the maintenance manual, is it? I'll have to check again. But regardless, I've only taken the car to about seven track weekends (so maybe five to six total hours of track time?), and only have less than 7K total miles on the clock. Plus, I think the first time I noticed the issue was a couple track weekends and maybe 2K miles ago.
Start by changing the fluid. I think GTGears recommends changing trans fluid after every 6 weekends on track.

Here's a trans gear lube thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9336...ntity-diy.html
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-06-2020, 04:19 PM
9eight7
Pro

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. Guess that could be it... I'll have to continue to keep an eye on it. I feel like that would be bizarre given how it seems to happen several times in a row sometimes. I would have thought I wasn't inept enough to make that mistake repeatedly, hah, but certainly not impossible. If so, yet another reason I wish the reverse lockout worked differently than just having to jam the transmission to the left, heh.
I thought I was doing the same thing too and received the fluid replacement advice from a friend who races and does his own maintenance. It cleared it right up.

My issue was that it wouldn’t go into 2nd or 3rd at times and it would grind a bit, which occurred on my 7th or 8th track day.

I agree with aualexa and to change it every 6 track weekends or so. Driving on the track adds a little extra stress on the car so certain maintenance intervals will shorten (engine oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, consumables, etc.).

Edit: weekends not days
Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3

This.

Try not to go all the way down to the bottom left corner of the gear box for 2nd. You'll get in there smoothly if you're just a hair over to the right in that area. It's easy to go straight down from 1st, but when coming from 3rd there's a tendency to try to stick it hard in that corner.
The following 2 users liked this post by GeoJoe:
burnergt4 (06-11-2020), RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:20 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Start by changing the fluid. I think GTGears recommends changing trans fluid after every 6 weekends on track.

Here's a trans gear lube thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9336...ntity-diy.html
Originally Posted by 9eight7
I thought I was doing the same thing too and received the fluid replacement advice from a friend who races and does his own maintenance. It cleared it right up.

My issue was that it wouldn’t go into 2nd or 3rd at times and it would grind a bit, which occurred on my 7th or 8th track day.

I agree with aualexa and to change it every 6 track weekends or so. Driving on the track adds a little extra stress on the car so certain maintenance intervals will shorten (engine oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, consumables, etc.).

Edit: weekends not days
I don't know how I forgot about this in my previous post, but I've only done one track weekend since my I had the transmission recall done, and the problem happened at that time (though only on the second day). That means it's a brand new trans and fluid, right? Seems like it has to be something else in that case (like maybe the suggestion of my jamming it a little too hard and almost going into reverse).
Old 06-07-2020, 01:14 PM
9eight7
Pro

Yeah you might be right, if they recently changed all of that then it might just be user error instead of mechanical.
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 06-11-2020, 01:28 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
This.

Try not to go all the way down to the bottom left corner of the gear box for 2nd. You'll get in there smoothly if you're just a hair over to the right in that area. It's easy to go straight down from 1st, but when coming from 3rd there's a tendency to try to stick it hard in that corner.
I've had this exact issue, and it never occurred to me that simply not going so deep into the lower left corner might help. I'll give this a try next time I'm out 👍🏼
The following 2 users liked this post by burnergt4:
GeoJoe (06-11-2020), RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:28 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I experienced the same recently. Replacement transmission as well, about 1 year old. Probably more driver fatigue and getting too worked up about trying to go fast.
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:40 AM
Sgnitsah
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It's been said already but I agree that you're getting into the reverse slot. Had it happen and curse myself for being so ham-handed when it does. Typically happens for me when I'm really charging and focus skews away from shifting.
RocketGuy3 (03-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Has anyone had trouble engaging 2nd gear at speed/on track?