Sponsored by: APR

Cold Weather Shifter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 04:05 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Cold Weather Shifter Issues

I'm driving a new-to-me May '16 build 981 GT4 with about 750 miles (I know I know). Transmission recall was performed about 200 miles ago and has been working flawlessly until this past Saturday. Outside temp was about 30 degrees F, and I was unable to select any gear whatsoever. It's as if the shifter was locked out of gear. I could freely move it around the Neutral area, but it felt mushy approaching any gear including reverse. I let the car sit and warm up for a few minutes and as the temp rose, things freed up. At first I was able to get into 5th gear, then 3rd, and a few minutes later things were back to normal. No issues for the rest of the day.

Anyone else experience cold weather shifting issues? Could this be related to the fluid fill? Dealer suggested I bring the car to them but want to check with the minds here first.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2020, 03:00 PM
stovesax
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having some issues with getting into second gear since the recall swap was performed (seems to get worse in the cold), but not as serious as what you're describing.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:18 PM
evansmj
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When was last brake fluid flush? Ive boiled the fluid 2 times and after that i had hard time shifting when its cold out, id have to select 3rd or 5th first before 1st or reverse till temps were up. Maybe try new fluid. Brake flushes cured it for me.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:02 AM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 76 Posts

Hmm, that’s interesting. I’ll look into that.

I don’t think they flushed it during the recall. And if not, it’s either 1.5 years old or the same stuff the car was delivered with. One thing I’m sure of is I never boiled it.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Shifter Issues