Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Strange over rev report on GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:33 PM
zjolsen
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone give me some advice on this one? This seems like it was wrapped out all the time. Or am I misreading this? Less than 20k miles.

Last edited by zjolsen; 10-31-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:12 PM
SpyderSean
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zjolsen

Anyone give me some advice on this one? This seems like it was wrapped out all the time. Or am I misreading this? Less than 20k miles.

As far as the frequency of occurrences, it’s hard to say from that report, because the most recent Range 1 - Range 4 ignitions all occurred during the same event at 471 hours of run time. The range 5 overrev happened about 50 operating hours previous to that, so we can deduce from this that the car has had at least 2 recorded overrev events in its life. Based on the number of revolutions noted in range 1, it seems like those were (relatively) frequent occurrences up to the last recorded event at 471 h, but ranges 2 and above weren’t as frequent but likely happened more than once before the most recent event, also at 471 h.

Important info here as well is knowing how much time is on the engine. Knowing this will help you figure out whether those overrevs were recent events or happened a long time ago. Many people consider above range 3 revs as a “dealbreaker”. I’m not an expert, so I have no idea whether this is justified or not, but you would probably want to have some tests done if the overrevs are recent in comparison to the total time on the engine. Hope this helps
Old 11-01-2022, 09:08 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSean
As far as the frequency of occurrences, it’s hard to say from that report, because the most recent Range 1 - Range 4 ignitions all occurred during the same event at 471 hours of run time. The range 5 overrev happened about 50 operating hours previous to that, so we can deduce from this that the car has had at least 2 recorded overrev events in its life. Based on the number of revolutions noted in range 1, it seems like those were (relatively) frequent occurrences up to the last recorded event at 471 h, but ranges 2 and above weren’t as frequent but likely happened more than once before the most recent event, also at 471 h.

Important info here as well is knowing how much time is on the engine. Knowing this will help you figure out whether those overrevs were recent events or happened a long time ago. Many people consider above range 3 revs as a “dealbreaker”. I’m not an expert, so I have no idea whether this is justified or not, but you would probably want to have some tests done if the overrevs are recent in comparison to the total time on the engine. Hope this helps
Folklore says if it happened > 50 hr in the past and no issues, you are good. So, as Sean says, need to know what hr your engine is currently on.

FWIW I had up to level 6 on my 3.8L engine, but only a few, like 10, with a few more, say 20, at Level 5. Then maybe 25 at Level 4. Kind of strange to have so few it seems. You can search and figure out how to translate them to crank revolutions, which I did at one point. But I never saw any ill effects. Got the 4.5L upgrade, so those are n/a. One thing that would be good to know is if it records entries if you hit the rev limiter. I suppose in theory, the rev limiter should keep you 'safe'.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:36 AM
zjolsen
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you tell how many times it happened?
Old 11-01-2022, 11:29 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zjolsen
How do you tell how many times it happened?
Let's look at 6500 ignitions on Level 1. I believe there are 3 ignitions per revolution, but you will need to verify. So that's 6500/3 revolutions of the crank, say 2200 in round numbers. Let's assume Level 1 is 7600 RPM. So this tells us the engine was at level 1 for 2200/7600 minutes or about 17 seconds. You will need to find/replace the 7600 with the right figure, but 7600 is in the ballpark I believe. You can do the other levels in a similar way to give an idea of how long an engine was at that particular level. In my case I had some level 5s for a fraction of a second.

I am no expert, and I have not looked at this in a long time, hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:46 PM
mhaislet
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
I feel like a Flock of Seagulls wrote a song about this car...
Yeah that's the dumbest thing I've ever read..
I track my car as much as I can and it's amazing And plus two now they discontinued the 718 series GT4s the 981 series cars are going to soar through the roofing value they are very seriously limited in production.

Old 10-04-2023, 11:38 PM
T-Rex
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
In a similar boat as many here. I'm looking at a 981, and got this for the DME report. It is currently owned by a well-respected shop in the LA area, and has over 600hrs operating time. Given the elapsed time since Range 4, any concerns with this?
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2023, 07:49 AM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Hi Guys,
In a similar boat as many here. I'm looking at a 981, and got this for the DME report. It is currently owned by a well-respected shop in the LA area, and has over 600hrs operating time. Given the elapsed time since Range 4, any concerns with this?
Thanks!
if I am reading that right, it had 74 ignitions at
166 hours and now has 600 hours? I wouldn’t sweat that at all. if you think about how quickly the engine is firing at 8k rpm, 74 ignitions means each cylinder fired 12 times? that’s a fraction of a second. I can’t imagine it did any damage based on other more extensive DME reports people have posted here on cars that are running fine.
The following users liked this post:
aryork (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 11:20 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,
Thanks!
Rick DeMan offers a foolproof solution to any over rev issues

4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 10-05-2023, 11:49 AM
T-Rex
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by aryork
Rick DeMan offers a foolproof solution to any over rev issues

4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Precisely my plan in a few years, will need to let the bank account recharge a bit first
Old 10-05-2023, 02:46 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi Guys,
Thanks!
32k range ones screams modified/tuned and ran with a higher rev limit to take advantage of the increased airflow.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:37 PM
T-Rex
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
32k range ones screams modified/tuned and ran with a higher rev limit to take advantage of the increased airflow.
Makes sense, and thank you. General consensus seems to be run hard, though given ownership by a well-respected shop, I believe it was also properly maintained. I'll find out what tune they had on it.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:33 PM
the981blues
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Can anyone explain how you could have more in range 5 than a previous range? They're in succession, no? How could you have say 5 range 4's but 20 range 5's?

Just a general question as I am starting to look at cars and trying to understand these reports and that's the one part I don't get
Old 11-10-2023, 04:36 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

For a given over rev, more in range 5 than in 4 makes sense.
Revs quickly went up through the ranges, then lingered at 5 before driver let out the clutch.

Quick Reply: Strange over rev report on GT4