Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 05:48 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts
Default 996 GT3 Cup vs. 981 GT4 Clubsport

A lot of people are always asking me how these cars stack up against the 996 GT3 Cup.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:14 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 169 Posts

Lookin' good!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Fun. Looks like they have a bit of a power/weight advantage, but the GT4 is more stable and faster from the brake zone through mid corner.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:43 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

wasn't that a 997.2 that went past at 1:08 and not 996 ?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Never mind, just saw more of it. It's a mixed group of cup cars. GT4 going well though.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice driving, as always!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

At some point John passes me ( gulf cup) in this video.

Having driven a street gt4 pretty decent and now (trying) to race a 996 cup I can add my .02c

The gt4 is way easier to drive but the cup is a good bit faster if driven at the same level of experience/skill in the car

Braking and shifting is harder in the cup. Especially at speed when you bounce through a corner at Sebring. You can drive a cup harder into the corner and better acceleration out however mid corner vmin in the gt4 is higher.
It easier to do max braking in a gt4 than in the cup.

I have beaten my personal bests in the cup on day 1 of getting in the car in each track I have taken it to.

The cup has no nannies so requires more respect.

I enjoy the cup challenging skills.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

The video was a great example of what a good driver can accomplish in a GT4CS.

It is amazing how much porsche has progressed since the 996 Cup.
The H pattern 911 Cup is no slouch, so for a street car based Cayman racer to run with it is very impressive.

It says alot for the GT4CS Brakes, ESC and TC as a whole package.

I expect to see a lot more of these pre owned 2016 models in PCA club racing in the next couple of years.
The are fairly easy to drive and maintain which is attractive.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:49 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
A lot of people are always asking me how these cars stack up against the 996 GT3 Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofz4-cZ-j_g&t=65s
Is that you or Tom behind the wheel?

Nice driving
Old 02-19-2018, 05:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
Is that you or Tom behind the wheel?

Nice driving
that was John....
Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The video was a great example of what a good driver can accomplish in a GT4CS.

It is amazing how much porsche has progressed since the 996 Cup.
The H pattern 911 Cup is no slouch, so for a street car based Cayman racer to run with it is very impressive.

It says alot for the GT4CS Brakes, ESC and TC as a whole package.

I expect to see a lot more of these pre owned 2016 models in PCA club racing in the next couple of years.
The are fairly easy to drive and maintain which is attractive.
You're biased and think your codriver/Coach is good; I think he's rather mediocre at best! We have this discussion a lot in the shop and people are shocked at my opinion. At 85% I think the Cayman with the nannies on is easier to drive. If you have to drive the car at 102% the Clubsport is a bit more difficult to overdrive especially if you turn off the nannies. At the edge, everything happens a lot faster and when it comes out from under you, if the computer isn't on, you're looping it or flying off track. My $.02.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
You're biased and think your codriver/Coach is good; I think he's rather mediocre at best! We have this discussion a lot in the shop and people are shocked at my opinion. At 85% I think the Cayman with the nannies on is easier to drive. If you have to drive the car at 102% the Clubsport is a bit more difficult to overdrive especially if you turn off the nannies. At the edge, everything happens a lot faster and when it comes out from under you, if the computer isn't on, you're looping it or flying off track. My $.02.
I just have a normal GT4 ROW with clubsport pac which is not the race you're talking about here. However it's my view that the car is faster if you turn off ESC. Even when the dash light is not flashing, the brakes are continually nibbling away here and there and taking speed off. I usually leave on TC which does bugger all until you spin up the rears which is very uncommon with a car which only has 400 or so BHP. Just my 2c worth.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I just have a normal GT4 ROW with clubsport pac which is not the race you're talking about here. However it's my view that the car is faster if you turn off ESC. Even when the dash light is not flashing, the brakes are continually nibbling away here and there and taking speed off. I usually leave on TC which does bugger all until you spin up the rears which is very uncommon with a car which only has 400 or so BHP. Just my 2c worth.
I agree that it's faster to turn them off but bear in mind that the Clubsport race cars came equipped with spring rates north of 1,000 lb/in. On a bumpy track like Sebring I'm not turning that off to go faster; im leaving it on to protect your wallet! It's obviously going to be faster if the stability control is cutting the throttle and the TC is grabbing the rear wheels via the rear brake calipers.

PSM = Porsche Saving Module

P.S. you obviously have a good grasp on the car's abilities especially since you pointed out the same thoughts I have always had which is that the car spins the tires at corner exit a fair amount for something only putting down 300 lb/ft of torque to the tires. That right there is the single biggest difference at corner exit between a 911 and a Cayman. The strut suspension's camber gain/loss handicaps you on power down at corner exit.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 02-20-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
GT4 ROW with clubsport option is an awesome street car! Wish we had that option in North America.

ESC does kill lap times. Especially if you are not "clean". I tend to slide the car a little from time to time and you can feel the ESC working and TC cutting the throttle therefore I have to clean up my corners to avoid the intrusion.
With ESC off, I have looped the car multiple times overdriving the corners.
When I am at a new race track and trying to qualify i just leave it on as I do not have the time to be patient and learn to drive. lol

TC is an interesting feature. With it on and ESC off, I can still loop the car in a corner. However, it will save me on exit from any possible wheel spin.

With ESC and TC off, I have resulted in actual wheel spin on low grip surface while exiting a corner and looped the car. More like jack knifed it!

To run with TC off you need to be a clean driver in these cars. (Or perhaps a wider rear tire). Wheel spin will get you if you are being too aggressive on the throttle!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 219 Posts

I had a run with a GT4CS in my 996 cup on a very tight track last weekend and we were within 3 tenths if each other all weekend. I would pull away on the long straights but he would catch up into the heavy braking corners with very slow/tight exits. If he went out in front of me I could not pass him and vice versa. I was running very old tires compared the the cayman’s new tyres and I would say the cup is a tad faster on a proper long track. The two cars make their lap time in different ways however all in all for 13 years difference and a lot of tech, the appear to be quite similarly matched. I have not driven a GT4CS (would love to have a go one day) but the cup car seems a more difficult car to be consistent in with the h-pattern box requiring some finesse

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Cup vs. 981 GT4 Clubsport