Sponsored by: APR

Winter Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:14 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Winter Road Trip

When: Departing Feb 22nd or 23rd. Returning the 26th or 27th.

Where: New Jersey to Road Atlanta

Chin Track Days' 2 day DE on Feb 24/25

I've committed and signed up for the event, so I'm in. I believe there's also a local gt3 owner who is on board. We'll be meeting up with at least one fellow Rennlister at the event. Happy to stop along the route and pick up additional companions. It may not be the smartest decision I've ever made, but it'll be an adventure and will help scratch the driving itch early in the season. I expect to see rain, snow, salt, and freezing temps along the trip, but as Dr. Ferry Porsche once said, "These cars are meant to be driven, not polished." Any takers?

Alex
Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
When: Departing Feb 22nd or 23rd. Returning the 26th or 27th.

Where: New Jersey to Road Atlanta

Chin Track Days' 2 day DE on Feb 24/25

I've committed and signed up for the event, so I'm in. I believe there's also a local gt3 owner who is on board. We'll be meeting up with at least one fellow Rennlister at the event. Happy to stop along the route and pick up additional companions. It may not be the smartest decision I've ever made, but it'll be an adventure and will help scratch the driving itch early in the season. I expect to see rain, snow, salt, and freezing temps along the trip, but as Dr. Ferry Porsche once said, "These cars are meant to be driven, not polished." Any takers?

Alex
Sounds awesome! A week of cold weather and I'm already getting itchy to get the car back out. I'd be in to come from NYC, will just need to check my schedule and become a Chin member....
Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

If you can make it, make sure you register ASAP. I'm told the event fills up pretty quickly.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Seattle had snow on Christmas
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like fun and i’m Interested. Do you have expericience running with this organizer? Reading their website, some of their rules seem odd. I have a SCCA license, but would need a instructor because i’ve never been to Road Atlanta?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Five12Free, this will be my first event with Chin. If you email your track history to the organizers, they may advance you out of the novice group. I'm not sure how standard the policy is, but I know that a few of the groups I drive with always require a new member (or someone driving on a new track) to have an instructor. I have a moderate amount of track time and I run in the solo, intermediate groups I drive with, but when I emailed Chin my track history, I actually requested an instructor bc it will be my first time at Road Atlanta. I know some people don't like having anyone in the right hand seat, but I figured it will be the quickest and safest way to learn the track. It's worth a shot emailing them though since their rules imply that an experienced driver can be moved up. Hopefully, you can make the event! It would be cool to have a decent caravan of cars going.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:30 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Road Atlanta is on my bucket list to drive. I can't make it, but I would trailer my car down there though.

That's my comfort level however.

I've made the expensive mistake of driving to a far away track, blew an engine, and had to finagle a tow truck home. Thanks goodness for AAA.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Five12Free, this will be my first event with Chin. If you email your track history to the organizers, they may advance you out of the novice group. I'm not sure how standard the policy is, but I know that a few of the groups I drive with always require a new member (or someone driving on a new track) to have an instructor. I have a moderate amount of track time and I run in the solo, intermediate groups I drive with, but when I emailed Chin my track history, I actually requested an instructor bc it will be my first time at Road Atlanta. I know some people don't like having anyone in the right hand seat, but I figured it will be the quickest and safest way to learn the track. It's worth a shot emailing them though since their rules imply that an experienced driver can be moved up. Hopefully, you can make the event! It would be cool to have a decent caravan of cars going.
Thanks for the info. I’ll see what they say in email. I don’t mind having a instructor for a session or two, but don’t want to be handcuffed to someone all weeekend.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 AM
ducsfly
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

CHIN runs a great event. You will have loads of fun, weather permitting. I did my first event with them a couple of months ago at VIR. Since it was my first time with them (inter group) I expected an instructor to evaluate me per their website. I asked about it at registration and was told it could happen if I wanted one to ride along. Since I am very familiar with VIR I chose to stay solo the entire time. They treat you like adults: play by the rules and have fun, if you don't you will be asked to leave. Enjoy RA.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducsfly
CHIN runs a great event. You will have loads of fun, weather permitting. I did my first event with them a couple of months ago at VIR. Since it was my first time with them (inter group) I expected an instructor to evaluate me per their website. I asked about it at registration and was told it could happen if I wanted one to ride along. Since I am very familiar with VIR I chose to stay solo the entire time. They treat you like adults: play by the rules and have fun, if you don't you will be asked to leave. Enjoy RA.
Good to know... I'm going to try to make this one and their VIR date in March.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Ajw45 and Five12Free, you guys in for the trip?

Anyone else interested?

Less than a month away!

-Alex
Old 01-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

I’m still trying to make it, but haven’t made any progress setting my car up yet.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
I’m still trying to make it, but haven’t made any progress setting my car up yet.
What settings do you plan to use?

For street mostly and a couple of track weekend's I'm using:

Front: Camber -2.5, Total Toe .1mm, Caster 10

Rear: Camber -2.0, Total Toe 2.1mm

Coupled with TPC DSC and their rear toe links.

Be sure you get it done in time for the smokies
Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan C.
What settings do you plan to use?

For street mostly and a couple of track weekend's I'm using:

Front: Camber -2.5, Total Toe .1mm, Caster 10

Rear: Camber -2.0, Total Toe 2.1mm

Coupled with TPC DSC and their rear toe links.

Be sure you get it done in time for the smokies
thanks Alan. The weather has been keeping me down. Hopefully some of parts can start going on soon.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:53 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Ajw45 and Five12Free, you guys in for the trip?

Anyone else interested?

Less than a month away!

-Alex
Work fail, sorry. I was hoping I could fit it in but I couldn't make enough time to enjoy the trip down and back. If there's another Road Atlanta event closer to the smokies event maybe I'll try to make that one, I should be unemployed by then

Last edited by ajw45; 02-07-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter Road Trip