Sponsored by: APR

LWB bolster removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:34 AM
sal14m
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWB bolster removal

Want to remove these bolster items from the LWB seats, expose a little carbon fibre if you know what I mean.
anyone ever remove these, is it plain carbon like on the seat belt side? Also what’s the best way to remove without damaging anything in case I don’t like it?
thanks!
The following users liked this post:
NCheok (07-18-2022)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:34 PM
sal14m
Intermediate

Want to provide an update to a post I made last year concerning the LWBS bolsters.
Over time we know these bolsters can start to look aged and unless you protect with a cover, they are quite easily damaged.

Initially my concern was how do I remove them, and most importantly what does it look like under the bolster, clean or something else?
Well I am happy to report the process to remove them was not bad, they can be easily put back, and most importantly the CF underneath is clean !!!

Some pictures below of the process:
1. The bolsters are simply secured using double sided tape.
2. You slide your fingers underneath the bolster on the inside and slowly pull up to break the double sided tape.
3. The bolster is held on by a strap that has a plastic connector, hopefully you can see this in the pictures.
4. You can pull the bolster away from the seat in order to get a flathead screwdriver in between the strap connector and bolster and pop it off.
5. Look is clean, much better than the bolsters in place.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM
golem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. Are the other leather bits held on by tape too?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:59 AM
sal14m
Intermediate

I removed the pillows too, but those are easy to take off.
I definitely find wearing a helmet easier, with the pillow my head feels like it is being pushed forward.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:01 AM
sal14m
Intermediate

Originally Posted by golem
Nice work. Are the other leather bits held on by tape too?
I didn’t attempt to remove any other leather bits, just the bolsters.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:44 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,141 Likes on 609 Posts

I'm confused as to where the connector attaches to? Can it be reinstalled with just some double sided tape?
Thanks carl
Old 10-25-2018, 12:44 PM
sal14m
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4carl
I'm confused as to where the connector attaches to? Can it be reinstalled with just some double sided tape?
Thanks carl
Snaps into the backside of the bolster, the opening is not visible in the pictures, so I highlighted in RED
To reinstall, some double sided tape is all that is needed, tbh I don't even know why they have that strap to hold it on.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM
4carl
Race Car

Thanks,got them off the clip was a little tricky. After i removed them i thought the exact same thing. That the strap was useless as what was holding them was the double sided tape. Actually if you want them back on using just the tape will look a lot better as the strap blocks the CF carl
Old 10-25-2018, 01:34 PM
sal14m
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4carl
Thanks,got them off the clip was a little tricky. After i removed them i thought the exact same thing. That the strap was useless as what was holding them was the double sided tape. Actually if you want them back on using just the tape will look a lot better as the strap blocks the CF carl
+1 Agreed !!!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 PM
4carl
Race Car

I think this may be the best of both worlds. The benefit of the pad for getting in and out with more CF exposure. Just used double sided tape same as the factory. No real need for the strap. carl
Old 10-26-2018, 04:20 PM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sal14m
Snaps into the backside of the bolster, the opening is not visible in the pictures, so I highlighted in RED
To reinstall, some double sided tape is all that is needed, tbh I don't even know why they have that strap to hold it on.
because it's not a lotus. in high heat conditions (think arizona, tropical countries) the glue deteriorates. typical lotus from a hot zone has all the bits sliding around and falling off, and sticky residue oozing. so the strap creates pressure to keep everything in place.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sal14m
Want to provide an update to a post I made last year concerning the LWBS bolsters.
Over time we know these bolsters can start to look aged and unless you protect with a cover, they are quite easily damaged.

Initially my concern was how do I remove them, and most importantly what does it look like under the bolster, clean or something else?
Well I am happy to report the process to remove them was not bad, they can be easily put back, and most importantly the CF underneath is clean !!!

Some pictures below of the process:
1. The bolsters are simply secured using double sided tape.
2. You slide your fingers underneath the bolster on the inside and slowly pull up to break the double sided tape.
3. The bolster is held on by a strap that has a plastic connector, hopefully you can see this in the pictures.
4. You can pull the bolster away from the seat in order to get a flathead screwdriver in between the strap connector and bolster and pop it off.
5. Look is clean, much better than the bolsters in place.

I have to say
You have big Cojones !!
I would have $hit a brick taking that off !!
I must say, if you are not careful you could split you butt in half, if you get in wrong, and land on the CF (but it does look nicer)
All you need now if a front bolster cover and you would be set
Hummm.. where could you get a set of those ??
Congrats Bud!
Even with those picts, I would be crapping in my pants taking a screwdriver to that ...
I'm a woooss
regards
Ed
Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

OP That’s a good look. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:03 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 453 Posts
Exclamation

Thank you sal14m for the guide.

Quick Reply: LWB bolster removal