Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

981 Engine Upgrade Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2024 | 03:07 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Default 981 Engine Upgrade Considerations

My 981 CS MR has engine problems and needs either a rebuild or replacement. It appears that PMNA has no stock so my shop is looking for other options.

At the same time, I am starting to get that "while your in there" feeling. Since I will be rebuilding the engine at a minimum, I am considering some upgrades.

The car is mainly used for club racing and DE. The class is very loose with the BOP. It is more of a friendly gentlemen series. But most of the cars are newer GT4 class cars with ~500 hp. The 981 is pretty out classed in this field. Truth be told, at this amateur level of driving, skill usually is the biggest variable, but a 115hp deficit is significant.

So my options are:
1. Keep it stock
2. While your in there, add some minor bolt on power bits to bring it to 718 spec at least (intake plenum, throttle body, tune) along with an intake kit for improved cooling and power consistency.

My only real concern is creating a Frankenstein that does not fit into any series outside of my club series. I also value reliability so want any mods to be low stress (to the engine). I do plan to keep the car at this point, and it only matters when I do sell it, but I don't want to kill it's resale. The 718 upgrades would be reversible.

I'd be curious of others opinions on the subject or if anyone has a lead on a good motor.
Old 09-26-2024 | 03:29 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

I have a 981 Clubsport brandy new crate engine sitting in my garage. Sold the car but not the engine.
The following users liked this post:
sonorous (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 05:22 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I have a 981 Clubsport brandy new crate engine sitting in my garage. Sold the car but not the engine.
PM Sent
Old 10-14-2024 | 04:49 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Closing out this thread, I spoke to a trusted shop that advised against any bolt on power mods. The cost to performance gain is just not there on the 981. Any I value reliability greatly on my race cars. So I decided to keep it stock.

@38D really came through with an available motor. It turns out Porsche only supplies long blocks now and they are very hard/long to order. Rebuilds take a while and are still costly. So an available crate motor was a blessing. I had the car back together last week and raced it this past Saturday. All thanks to Rennlist and great members like @38D
Cyclman (10-15-2024)
Old 10-15-2024 | 10:18 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Glad it all worked out. @sonorous made the whole transaction all go super smooth. Nice to have the extra space in my garage too .
sonorous (10-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 981 Engine Upgrade Considerations