Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 11:14 AM
wannaberacer1
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 718 GT4 Clubsport Track Day - Balance Front Aero

**Title error - car is competition variant, not track day**

Hello all,

I have recently started tracking a 718 GT4 clubsport (competition) and am blown away. I am going to the glenn in about one month and plan on running stiffer rebound and compression settings than I have previously at mid-ohio (9 out of 18 all around, likely moving to 5 all around) as well as higher rear wing setting to increase downforce due to high speed corners at the glenn.

My question is, and I have scoured the user manual extensively, how do I balance out the front aero while increasing rear aero? I can not find anything regarding any adjustable settings for front splitter or other front aero components. Is this something I need worry about or just go ahead and change suspension settings and rear wing and call it a day?

All advice welcome, thank you very much!

Last edited by wannaberacer1; 06-25-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:04 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Im not sure you necessarily need to increase rear wing for the Glen vs other tracks. The only way to get more front area on the car is to lower the nose as there really is no other adjustability.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:09 AM
wannaberacer1
Track Day

I think we are going to stick to running slightly stiffer rebound/compression settings and leave the aero as is for this one. I am going to go to a real deal race shop to have them set the aero in a slightly above middle setting, setting and have them adjust the front ride height to compensate so they can properly measure ride height
Old 06-27-2024, 11:46 AM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are probably overthinking it. Porsche wouldn't give wing adjustment options that would make a wild/unbalanced overall package relative to the splitter. I think Watkins is pretty similar to VIR. At VIR the pro teams I've observed run very little or no wing angle. You can of course go the route of GT4 RS front aero. 51GT3 has a nice aftermarket kit I haver used. It adds diveplanes and a tiny bit larger front lip. The wing on both the 4RS and GT4 are pretty similar.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:11 PM
wannaberacer1
Track Day

Great take, you are probably completely right regarding the rear wing aero. Would you suggest running a slightly stiffer set up all around? I was running 1:34's at mid-ohio with everything set to 9 so literally right in the middle (0-18 settings). I was considering running it slightly stiffer due to the higher speed corners compared to mid-ohio, maybe around 5 or 6 all around.

May just try both and see how it feels!
Old 06-27-2024, 12:16 PM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

I think it's just more a trial and error thing. Way too many variable involved. Alignemnt, tires, heat cycles, driver experience etc. I think the "pro" setup tends to be on the stiffer side, which makes the car very prone to oversteer. Great for a pro, but can get an amateur in trouble pretty quickly. Just something you'll have to play around with/work with a shop. Adjusting 1-2 settings on the swaybars I have found to create a material feel change as well.
Old 06-27-2024, 01:45 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

As said before, the Glen and VIR are very similar both in terms of lap time and setup. What times are you running at VIR?
Old 06-27-2024, 02:03 PM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
As said before, the Glen and VIR are very similar both in terms of lap time and setup. What times are you running at VIR?
Not a direct reference bc my car is a 4RS. 1:52.1 with a pro on 8-10HC Michelin scrubs. We ran 0 wing angle. “Amateur” driver setup to have understeer. Stiff suspension and soft sway settings. The initial setup when I got the car was super stiff and had a crazy amount of oversteer. Myself and other amateurs that tried to run it stiff couldn’t get under 1:58’s. But with the setup change everyone could get around 55/56.

My prior GT4 CS I only ran on Hoosiers detuned to 326whp for NASA GTS3. And I didn’t get hardly any seat time before the switch. So no relevant data there.

Old 06-27-2024, 02:06 PM
wannaberacer1
Track Day

Around 1:58-2 at VIR, very consistent 1:34's at Mid-Ohio with the chicane. Those are only places I have run the clubsport thus far
Old 06-27-2024, 03:01 PM
wannaberacer1
Track Day

I need to dive into the sway settings a bit and increase my understanding of how it impacts overall feel and performance. Right now my only reference is a very neutral rear wing position and 9 out of 18 on all rebound and compression settings. I am going to be leaving the car as is for now as this is first time visiting the Glenn so better to leave it where I know I am comfortable before making adjustments!

Maybe I was a touch overzealous!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Clubsport Track Day - Balance Front Aero