Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Clubsport WRL '24 Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 04:20 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clubsport WRL '24 Campaign

Now that we've got a firmer idea on the timing of when our 2024 Clubsport is coming in, we've decided to use our spare GT4 RS Clubsport to run a light campaign in WRL. We're looking to use WRL to help get our crew more familiar with the car, and get more seat time in anticipation of our IMSA/SRO/SCCC races. Wanted to see here (and in this sub-forum specifically) if there are any current Clubsport or experienced drivers that might be interested in joining us for a few races on an arrive and drive basis.

We're looking at the following races:
Barber - Mar 1-3
Mid-Ohio - Apr 5-7 (this one is great timing for IMSA drivers who want to get familiar with the car and the re-pave close to the actual IMSA event)
Road America - Apr 25-28
Road Atlanta - Jul 26-28 (this one depends on how things go during the IMSA and Toronto Indy races)
**Watkins Glen - Oct 18-20
**COTA - Dec 6-8

Feel free to PM me with your questions.

** We've received a number of inquiries already, and at the moment, we have a wait list for the Glen and COTA. Pricing requests without a racing resume will be ignored.

Last edited by shizzle; 12-27-2023 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:14 PM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of curiosity, have you sorted how to get power down to the necessary level for WRL? I looked into detune options and seemed like no one has sorted how to cut power aside from restrictor plates. There were plenty of options for the 718CS but not the 4RS. Do you know what power level the smallest plate gets down to?
Old 12-19-2023, 05:25 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daytona4RS
Out of curiosity, have you sorted how to get power down to the necessary level for WRL? I looked into detune options and seemed like no one has sorted how to cut power aside from restrictor plates. There were plenty of options for the 718CS but not the 4RS. Do you know what power level the smallest plate gets down to?
We'll be dyno'ing the car using 61mm and 57mm restrictor plates early in the new year. The added benefit of this route is the reduced power will help with a slight increase in transmission life. We're pretty sure the IMSA 53.7mm restrictor will produce too much power.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shizzle
We'll be dyno'ing the car using 61mm and 57mm restrictor plates early in the new year. The added benefit of this route is the reduced power will help with a slight increase in transmission life. We're pretty sure the IMSA 53.7mm restrictor will produce too much power.
I got the 53.7mm to test and agree, likely too much power. I had the impression that the 61mm will create even more power. Isn't larger meaning a bigger opening for air? So my thought is it needs a custom down to like 48mm. For my 718CS I was able to use a Cobb to easily cut to 326whp. Definitely curious to see how things play out for you. Sorry for derailing your thread a tad.lol Will definitely be cool to see one in GTO.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:44 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

I got the 53.7mm to test and agree, likely too much power. I had the impression that the 61mm will create even more power. Isn't larger meaning a bigger opening for air? So my thought is it needs a custom down to like 48mm. For my 718CS I was able to use a Cobb to easily cut to 326whp. Definitely curious to see how things play out for you. Sorry for derailing your thread a tad.lol Will definitely be cool to see one in GTO.
Our understanding of the plates is the same. The plan is to dyno across the different restrictor sizes, and understand the size/power ratios. From there we can make an educated guess on what size smaller we need to go. We definitely need to see more Porsches in GTO!
Old 12-19-2023, 05:53 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

I’ve always thought you could just lower the redline, which will decrease peak power and save the equipment.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:58 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I’ve always thought you could just lower the redline, which will decrease peak power and save the equipment.
You can lower the redline on the dash display, but not via engine/pdk management. Since we need to produce a dyno curve for WRL, we can really only use restrictor plates to reduce power.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:50 PM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
I went through that idea also. Tuners can't crack the ecu to lower redline and PMNA is unable/unwilling to assist with lowering redline. I have my dash set to 8500rpm. But as mentioned, for compliance they don't care what your dash says. They keep throttle open until it hits actual cutoff. But from what I've seen these cars hit peak hp around 8500 anyway. So you still aren't addressing the power issue. You would probably have to cut rpm to around 6k which then just gets into issues with gear ratios.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:14 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Awesome, can't wait to see the 4RS CS out there while I slum it in GP2. I know the 981 & 718 Porsche GTO guys have been complaining about the inability to keep up with the turbocharged GTO cars in the field, curious if the upcoming 2024 Rules will adjust for that.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:11 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Awesome, can't wait to see the 4RS CS out there while I slum it in GP2. I know the 981 & 718 Porsche GTO guys have been complaining about the inability to keep up with the turbocharged GTO cars in the field, curious if the upcoming 2024 Rules will adjust for that.
We run a Honda TCA in GP2 as well, definitely not a slum class! It's a fun car, and it would be great to see the competition grow in GP2. We've made the podium a few times with the car this year, and the only thing holding it back from winning are the brakes (we're working with HPD on a better ABS module and cooling upgrades). I think the RS Clubsport will have an easier time keeping up with the Supras and BMWs with the extra hp/torque it makes. The real trick will be how to get as close to possible to the 115L fuel capacity of the car based on the HP formula. Even if we're a a second or two behind the leaders (which we were even able to do in the TCR cars we ran this year), we should be able to make up for that loss with good pit strategy.

Not sure if any of you guys were at the 'owners' meeting at the WRL COTA event, but we really believe in the power/weight formula vs. BOP. It really leaves the onus on the teams to get their car setup right vs. relying on an opaque process to set a BOP (we've never seen anyone other than the winning team not complain about BOP during an IMSA or SRO event). I really hope the 2024 rules stick with the current formula.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:19 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shizzle
Now that we've got a firmer idea on the timing of when our 2024 Clubsport is coming in, we've decided to use our spare GT4 RS Clubsport to run a light campaign in WRL. We're looking to use WRL to help get our crew more familiar with the car, and get more seat time in anticipation of our IMSA/SRO/SCCC races. Wanted to see here (and in this sub-forum specifically) to see if there are any current Clubsport or experienced drivers that might be interested in joining us for a few races on an arrive and drive basis.

Feel free to PM me with your questions.
Here are answers to a few questions I was PM'ed with:

1. The car will have a Chillout Pro system installed.
2. The team is fully crewed, one of the drivers is a pro, and as a data/strategy coach
3. The car has a Vbox2 system installed, data will be made available, and will have a live streaming setup.

As an aside, WRL is looking to have in-car flagging and driver ID next year. This will all be installed in the car. If they decide on the X2 transponder based driver ID, we'll likely run the XAP/IMSA electronics setup in this car as well.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:22 AM
Daytona4RS
Rennlist Member

I think TPC plans to work on a detune over the winter. Ideally just a throttle cut from 5-8500rpm would let you keep all the 4L torque while cutting hp. That's what we do for the BMW's in NASA GTS3. Works great. The plate route kills some of the torque benefit.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:39 AM
jonnkycvrd
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of curiosity, what's an arrive and drive weekend look like cost wise? Been debating trying some lucky dog or WRL races this year.
Old 12-20-2023, 11:58 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonnkycvrd
Out of curiosity, what's an arrive and drive weekend look like cost wise? Been debating trying some lucky dog or WRL races this year.
Cost is dependent on a number of factors, we'd be happy to discuss it via PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:05 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

I think TPC plans to work on a detune over the winter. Ideally just a throttle cut from 5-8500rpm would let you keep all the 4L torque while cutting hp. That's what we do for the BMW's in NASA GTS3. Works great. The plate route kills some of the torque benefit.
We'll likely stick with the restrictor plate method since this car is a back up for the car we'll be campaigning in IMSA/SRO this year. This would keep us in line for the regulations for those series, and minimize any ECU related gremlins that could pop-up.

Last edited by shizzle; 12-21-2023 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Clubsport WRL '24 Campaign