Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

PDK acting odd 981 CS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 06:37 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts
Default PDK acting odd 981 CS

My buddy’s 981 CS is having a PDK issue. Suddenly the system is up shifting in places it shouldn’t be. It’s upshifting from 2nd to 4th coming out of turn 1 at VIR. Tried to reset it. Tried manual mode- car was in 2nd and shifted itself into 6th. Definitely not normal behavior. Anyone experience something similar?
Old 10-30-2023, 05:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

might need porsche to plug into it. Could be as simple as a software upgrade.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:42 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
might need porsche to plug into it. Could be as simple as a software upgrade.
It began leaking PDK fluid at the end of the weekend so guessing it will need a rebuild. Surprising his car only has 11k miles. Luckily now you can do a rebuild.

Last edited by scott40; 10-31-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:15 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
It began leaking PDK fluid at the end of the weekend so guessing it will need a rebuild. Surprising his car only has 11k miles. Luckily now you can do a rebuild.
A rebuild is the easy button, although a costly one. A leak and weird shifting itself however does not have only one solution. I had a fairly bad leak and weird shifting on my 981 at the 4-5k miles range. Mine was failing to shift, stuck in gear, and throwing transmission codes. It was finally diagnosed by a competent shop as a differential seal leak inside the transmission. That repair was reasonable and has held strong for a full year with zero issues. The PDK has regular gear oil in the gearbox side and pressurized hydraulic ATF fluid in the clutch pack side. If the ATF leaks into the gear oil it messes up the viscosity throwing off the shifts and pushes oil out of the overflow. YMMV
Old 10-31-2023, 10:08 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaytonarsFour
I’m curious what his interval for changing fluid and filters were? Seems that following the manual isn’t the best approach. More frequent changes seems to improve reliability.
We change PDK fluid annually and diff fluid every 3rd event.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

11k miles and leaking. Yup, rebuild time.

BGB is doing PDK rebuilds now.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:55 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Atlanta Speedwerks doing rebuilds too.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 11-02-2023, 08:00 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe what BGB is doing is shipping them out to ZF in Germany under the Clubsport PDK repair arrangement that PMNA recently announced. The prices from PMNA are much less then going to a local US based rebuilder such as Atlanta Speedworks. These PDKs are not that complicated so you may be able to find a local shop willing to try and sort out the issue. There is a huge thread on PDK repairs on Rennlist in the 997 forum. I suggest giving that a look.

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Jeff
Old 11-02-2023, 08:28 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
A rebuild is the easy button, although a costly one. A leak and weird shifting itself however does not have only one solution. I had a fairly bad leak and weird shifting on my 981 at the 4-5k miles range. Mine was failing to shift, stuck in gear, and throwing transmission codes. It was finally diagnosed by a competent shop as a differential seal leak inside the transmission. That repair was reasonable and has held strong for a full year with zero issues. The PDK has regular gear oil in the gearbox side and pressurized hydraulic ATF fluid in the clutch pack side. If the ATF leaks into the gear oil it messes up the viscosity throwing off the shifts and pushes oil out of the overflow. YMMV
All good points. One thing worth adding. On the street version of the PDK, there is an open vent at the top of the housing and fluid will come out this vent for reasons such as the one you mentioned, if it is overfilled, at tracks with a lot of lateral g-forces, or when the gear oil gets hot (more common with LSD). However, on the PDK in a Clubsport, this vent is not open but connected to a vent tube and recovery reservoir so you should never see a leak on a Clubsport PDK coming from the top of the transmission where the vent is. There are a few other areas where the gear oil or PDK fluid can leak out by design when a seal fails. Bottom line, all of these are repairable and hopefully as work gets out that these PDKs are nothing magical, the price and availability of repair options will become increasingly accessible.

Jeff

Last edited by jbaker136; 11-02-2023 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: PDK acting odd 981 CS