981 CS Rear Wing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 02:28 PM
mski993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 981 CS Rear Wing Advice

Hey all,

Since trying to find a used wing is difficult, is anyone using a non-OEM / or Manthey rear wing? If so, any recommendations? ... or does anyone have advice on repairing the CF? I have a poorly repaired Manthey wing that my shop recommends replacing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2023, 03:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Have run 2 different aftermarket wings and also the MR.

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...ng-kit-981-gt4
This is what is on the endurance car now. Very nice piece of kit. You will absolutely need more front downforce in order to make it work. You can actually feel the downforce with this setup.

https://designsbyjacob.com/products/gt4-rear-wing
Have run this wing as well, until we damaged it unfortunately. Also quite nice but I think it is NLA.

MR wing is fine, but is more of a slight change vs a big downforce delta. And its nowhere near the two options above.

The car with the Dundon wing and giant splitter on 200TW tires will have similar apex speed to a MR on slicks in the high speed stuff. Yes, its that's dramatic.
The following 2 users liked this post by 38D:
mlct (04-29-2023), mski993 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 05:11 PM
Daytonars4
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Have run 2 different aftermarket wings and also the MR.

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...ng-kit-981-gt4
This is what is on the endurance car now. Very nice piece of kit. You will absolutely need more front downforce in order to make it work. You can actually feel the downforce with this setup.

https://designsbyjacob.com/products/gt4-rear-wing
Have run this wing as well, until we damaged it unfortunately. Also quite nice but I think it is NLA.

MR wing is fine, but is more of a slight change vs a big downforce delta. And its nowhere near the two options above.

The car with the Dundon wing and giant splitter on 200TW tires will have similar apex speed to a MR on slicks in the high speed stuff. Yes, its that's dramatic.
I can definitely see the need for a huge increase to downforce using 200tw tires since so much mechanical grip is being sacrificed. But I'm a little surprised by the suggestion that a car on slicks would also see a lot of improvement. I know that teams racing at VIR tend to run very little or no wing angle using the stock setup. Have you seen any comparison with the same car using slicks on the stock CS setup vs dundon? Any noticeable loss in straight line speed on straights? You did also mention a large splitter which I have a feeling is also a huge contributor to the high speed cornering improvement you mentioned. The base CS splitter is pretty weak in the aero department. I was surprised by how small it is the first time I saw it. Obvious area for a larger improvement.

This company also makes a wing. I personally think it looks awful, but it's cheap and gets the job done.lol
https://9livesracing.com/products/bi...yman-2005-2012

Last edited by Daytonars4; 04-28-2023 at 05:13 PM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
mski993 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 07:00 PM
mski993
Advanced

The Dundon kit is insane - and yeah, believe you would need WAY more front down force with that setup.

Any experience with Getty Design GT4 wing?
Old 04-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Daytonars4
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the Getty GT4 a clone of the 718 CS wing?
Old 04-29-2023, 11:45 AM
mski993
Advanced

I think they have those too. Their website is a bit "old school," but if you scroll down, it's called "Cayman GT4 top wing" (pictured on a 981 CS).

https://gettydesign.com/cayman/cayman-wings-987-981/
Old 04-29-2023, 12:42 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

I added a Verus Engineering swan neck wing this year on my modified 4.25l 981 Clubsport . It may be the same wing that Dundon sells, not sure, as I got the Verus front splitter and rear diffusor from Dundon last year. Dropped my personal best at Lime Rock by .9 to 56.1 (a pro did a 54.8 in the car the same day so I am still a wimp!) in my first session out this year and I was not driving all that well. This after only having the shocks rebuilt and doing no driving since November. Naturally, I am happy with the purchase as I very much doubt I "grew a bigger pair" over the winter.....

https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...man-981-gt4-45

I don't race so class is not important to me but if you race an MR might be legal in your class while this one probably is not.

Good luck.

Last edited by mlct; 04-29-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mlct
I added a Verus Engineering swan neck wing this year on my modified 4.25l 981 Clubsport . It may be the same wing that Dundon sells, not sure, as I got the Verus front splitter and rear diffusor from Dundon last year.
Dundon had supply chain issues with Verus so they made their own. It’s slightly different and allegedly a little less drag for the same downforce.

I don't race so class is not important to me but if you race an MR might be legal in your class while this one probably is not.
981 MR wing is legal for PCA D1. And wing change would put you in GTA3 where the car would get smoked by GT3Rs.
mlct (04-29-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 12:44 PM
mski993
Advanced

Thanks for the info ... probably more than I'm after at this point in time, and I would like to keep the car stock in the event of Club Racing next year.

Also, is that the Jan Haylen car that set those ridiculous lap times at VIR and WGI?
Old 05-01-2023, 06:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mski993
Also, is that the Jan Haylen car that set those ridiculous lap times at VIR and WGI?
No, that car has a Deman 4.25L and vented front fenders (RS1 I believ) along with the big splitter and wing. That thing is an absolute beast.
The following 4 users liked this post by 38D:
J_Rizzo_12 (07-12-2023), mlct (07-11-2023), mski993 (05-01-2023), Rick DeMan (05-02-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:01 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I added a Verus Engineering swan neck wing this year on my modified 4.25l 981 Clubsport . It may be the same wing that Dundon sells, not sure, as I got the Verus front splitter and rear diffusor from Dundon last year. Dropped my personal best at Lime Rock by .9 to 56.1 (a pro did a 54.8 in the car the same day so I am still a wimp!) in my first session out this year and I was not driving all that well. This after only having the shocks rebuilt and doing no driving since November. Naturally, I am happy with the purchase as I very much doubt I "grew a bigger pair" over the winter.....

https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...man-981-gt4-45

Good luck.
Who setup your front splitter? When I installed that same Verus splitter on my car, the leading edge was way to low and it protrudes forward much further making for difficult approach angle. The CS is already very low at the OEM splitter (68mm at leading edger per SRO guidelines). I would be curious how much they had to raise your ride height to get that splitter far enough off the ground to be workable.

Jeff
Old 07-12-2023, 06:57 AM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, the ride height is a pain to deal with getting on/off the trailer. I am at 55mm which is way low. I was scraping under braking last year without the wing and I needed beefed up springs (850lbs I think now) to deal with that. They had started it down around 35mm which I could not deal with.

No problems this year on the curbs at Watkins Glen.

SpeedSport in Danbury, CT takes care of my car.

Mark
P.S. as noted the GTA3 cars would smoke the car due to its weight. Not a problem since I don't race. My does have the vented front wheel fenders and the Deman 4.25l mentioned in the post about Jan Heylen's 1.51 lap at Watkins Glen.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:33 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, the ride height is a pain to deal with getting on/off the trailer. I am at 55mm which is way low. I was scraping under braking last year without the wing and I needed beefed up springs (850lbs I think now) to deal with that. They had started it down around 35mm which I could not deal with.

No problems this year on the curbs at Watkins Glen.

SpeedSport in Danbury, CT takes care of my car.

Mark
P.S. as noted the GTA3 cars would smoke the car due to its weight. Not a problem since I don't race. My does have the vented front wheel fenders and the Deman 4.25l mentioned in the post about Jan Heylen's 1.51 lap at Watkins Glen.
Thanks for the info. Frustrating part is that splitter design used to have a removable front leading edge that at least made the ride heigh easier to deal with in the paddock and loading but they updated to a one-piece design now. And as you noted, Anything below like 65-70mm is going to be at risk for lots scraping on the track too. Not sure sure I will be keeping mine. It was intended for GT4 road cars with much higher ride height and bigger tires.

Jeff
mlct (07-14-2023)

Quick Reply: 981 CS Rear Wing Advice