Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 09:09 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Tires

I raced at Mid Ohio this past weekend with NASA. Since there really wasn't anything other than fun, pride and (of course being safe) on the line i didn't buy new tires. On Friday I ran a one year set of Michelins from HC 7-11. They were predictable and on the 11th hc the fronts were starting to push. For qualifying I put on a set of Pirelli DHf's for the 6th hc. As soon as I turned in on warmup at the keyhole the rear started to slide. I fought oversteer evertime the rear took a set it wanted to slide or if i applied too much throttle. The dash looked like a purple christmas tree!! I ran a 1:33.8 which is a second or two off my best club course time. The race was at 5pm and it was super hot on track. The set of Pirellis only had 4 hc and they acted the same way. (They had a qualifier, two 20 min races and a 60 min enduro). The track was greasy For the Sunday 11 am race I ran the same tires and took one click of low speed bump out but everything (except track conditions was the same). The car was much better with noticeably less OS and I ran a 1:31.5 on the pro course.

I am trying to figure out what to take from all of this.
*Don't run tires after 4-5 hc's especially if they have an enduro on them? Always race with stickers?
*I just had Wright set the car up and they should know what they're doing. Should i post race get the alignment re-checked?
*This car has always be steady as a rock. Never this kind of variation??
*My 987.2 had more front and rear aero; I always ran take offs and rarely had tires go off like this.

Your thought and experiences are appreciated.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:18 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
I am trying to figure out what to take from all of this.
*Don't run tires after 4-5 hc's especially if they have an enduro on them? Always race with stickers?
*Should i post race get the alignment re-checked?
*My 987.2 had more front and rear aero; I always ran take offs and rarely had tires go off like this
in general, yes, slicks are done after a 60 min enduro. After a 90 min enduro, they are complete garbage.

ideally you will come to every race with one new set of slicks. Run them for 3-6 laps max for qualy, and then in the races. Use them for practice at the next race.

was your 987 lighter? The Clubsports are decently heavy so the tires do go off a bit quicker.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:40 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

My 987.2 was just under 3000# with me in the car. I came off the track after the race at 3138 on Saturday.

Quick Reply: Tires