GT Celebration and Porsche Sprint challenge at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 06:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,058 Likes on 1,793 Posts
Default GT Celebration and Porsche Sprint challenge at VIR

Really great opportunities here for folks that want more and better than Club racing but relaxed schedule, good competition and a good experience in an entry level professional series.

I had a great time at VIR, saw a LOT of friends and my client is well prepared for his SRO race there in two weeks.

Folks should look into this. I particularly appreciated race control penalizing for intentional contact in the PSC Cayman Race 2. Needed, necessary and far too lacking in most series.

Helps keep the racing clean.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-05-2022, 09:28 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Good seeing you Peter
Old 06-06-2022, 12:53 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have participated Sonoma and Laguna Seca events this year. It is a well organized series and offers 4.5 hours track time in total. I think GTC a perfect place for someone who want to go and learn real racing but do not want to be stressed out in SRO or IMSA. Will run full session with a dedicated car next year with them.

Last edited by wxq99; 06-06-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:39 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

I'm in the process of signing up for the GT Celebtration races in Road America and Utah in July and August. Maybe will do the September finale as well if I can get my schedule to cooperate. Will be driving my Audi R8 GT4.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:15 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

GTC is gaining a lot of momentum. Great group of people running the series. This year we ran Atl and VIr and are planning on finishing up the East coast schedule with Rd America and COTA. Might sneak out to Utah if we can work some things out. The GT4 group was strong this weekend with a nice diversity of cars. New GT4 RSCS, "normal" 718 CS, Mclarens, Audi GT4's and Aston GT4. We had a good group in GT3 as well with 991.1 R's, R8 LMS Ultras, Mercedes GT3's, KTM GTX and a 991 .2 cup.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:58 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

How does GTC compare to Porsche sprint challenge and other series?
Old 06-06-2022, 01:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikew968
How does GTC compare to Porsche sprint challenge and other series?
I don’t have the rules in front of me, but the big difference is the tire. Yokos for the PSC, harder and more durable (in performance, at least), but not as quick as the Pirellis we ran in GTC.

We chose to run restricted in SRO trim which cost a bit of power and weight in GTC, but other 718’s running GTC were running as delivered. The variety of GT4 cars was AWESOME!

Others will chime in, but really happy with the parity and skill level in both series.The PSC Cayman group was close to thirty cars, starting out!
Old 06-06-2022, 05:15 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Both of these series slot between Club racing and IMSA/SRO?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikew968
Both of these series slot between Club racing and IMSA/SRO?
Yes, I think that is accurate.

Much closer to the latter simply due to professional pre-event communications, uniform regulations and at event professional organization, professional scrutineering, PR, T&S and professional staffing.

Also, the competition in BOTH is MUCH closer, same cars (PSC) or a variety of cars (GTC). Whole grids of specific cars (PSC) or classes (GTC) not more than a second or second and a half apart.

Club racing is, to me, at or around the same level as other marque club racing, historic racing and NASA/SCCA regional racing.

Wide variety of investment, motivation and experience, as well as prep levels. Biggest benefit of PCA club racing is that they do a great job offering good amounts of track time. Great, fun times, but the referenced series are a big step up. We saw several PCA National Champs in the middle of the far deeper fields.

Both are a great challenge for those interested in pushing themselves at a lesser financial commitment than full blown IMSA or SRO programs.

Last edited by ProCoach; 06-06-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
We saw several PCA National Champs in the middle of the far deeper fields.
The value of a PCA National Championship really depends on the class: some are hotly contested and others are participation awards. And there are some drivers that don’t do enough races to win a season long championship, but I’d put up against any Am drivers in IMSA (like Steve Katz or Darius Trinka).

Last edited by 38D; 06-06-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:26 AM
sean mcauliffe
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really great opportunities here for folks that want more and better than Club racing but relaxed schedule, good competition and a good experience in an entry level professional series.

I had a great time at VIR, saw a LOT of friends and my client is well prepared for his SRO race there in two weeks.

Folks should look into this. I particularly appreciated race control penalizing for intentional contact in the PSC Cayman Race 2. Needed, necessary and far too lacking in most series.

Helps keep the racing clean.
I was looking around hoping to find a gt4rs for sale and came across this post. I was the one who got punted out of 4th place with 3 min to go in race 2 - I did appreciate them doling out the penalty but I'd certainly like that 4th place more! As for the PSC series, I can say that the level of competition has increased quite a bit from last year. I ran the VIR race as a one-off last year when I had just got the car and finished 4th and 5th. I was 4 or 5 seconds a lap faster this year and still only finished 4th (and 7th after the punting) . Both were extremely hard fought.

Planning to do SRO next year if I can get my hands on an RS..
The following 2 users liked this post by sean mcauliffe:
BlueGT3 (06-07-2022), ProCoach (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 01:32 AM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the initial intention of GTC was to give FIA GT3 cars, especially those no longer homologated, a place to race. The field grow rapidly then they added GT4 and P3 classes. The rulebook said it does not allow pro driver to participate the event, only FIA bronze is allowed, so it is truly a amatuar series but very well organized. They run SRO BoP and I would say it worked really well. This year the field is much bigger and we have seen SRO drivers using this event as a testing day for their coming events, they are way ahead.

GT4 America and PWC have became very competitive recently. If you want more fun but with pro event feeling and not want to be stressed out then GTC is a good series to race.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 08:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
The value of a PCA National Championship really depends on the class: some are hotly contested and others are participation awards. And there are some drivers that don’t do enough races to win a season long championship, but I’d put up against any Am drivers in IMSA (like Steve Katz or Darius Trinka).
And Cory Friedman winning GTC outright!

Just saying the competition level is much more variable in club racing. No slam, just fact.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

And Cory Friedman winning GTC outright!

Just saying the competition level is much more variable in club racing. No slam, just fact.
cory is a great driver, but I didn’t include him or Leh or others as they are not amateurs anymore. Watching those guys battle at the pointy end is always a treat.

From looking at the PSC Cayman times, the top qualfier at VIR was the same speed as Jens Hanston in PCA (1:56.1). The field is certainly much larger, but does not appear better from what I can tell (PSC VIR qualy times of 1:56 to 2:04).
Old 06-07-2022, 03:54 PM
sean mcauliffe
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
cory is a great driver, but I didn’t include him or Leh or others as they are not amateurs anymore. Watching those guys battle at the pointy end is always a treat.

From looking at the PSC Cayman times, the top qualfier at VIR was the same speed as Jens Hanston in PCA (1:56.1). The field is certainly much larger, but does not appear better from what I can tell (PSC VIR qualy times of 1:56 to 2:04).
What tire and temperature was it for PCA?
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-07-2022)

Quick Reply: GT Celebration and Porsche Sprint challenge at VIR