Painting CF Panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 10:33 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Painting CF Panels

I have been told that CF panels need at least a thin layer of protection to prevent some surface deterioration. While vinyl wrap is frequently used for this protection, is there any reason not to paint the panels?

My car has CF front hood and doors. I am thinking of a vinyl wrap design that will include lots of white in both the hood and doors. If I change the livery in the future, lighter colored vinyl covers white better than CF.

Do the interior sides of these panels need any kind of clear coat for protection?

Are the 981 GT4 CS painted in Pure White - code 0Q?
Old 05-30-2022, 04:47 PM
blomman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-C2
I have been told that CF panels need at least a thin layer of protection to prevent some surface deterioration. While vinyl wrap is frequently used for this protection, is there any reason not to paint the panels?

My car has CF front hood and doors. I am thinking of a vinyl wrap design that will include lots of white in both the hood and doors. If I change the livery in the future, lighter colored vinyl covers white better than CF.

Do the interior sides of these panels need any kind of clear coat for protection?

Are the 981 GT4 CS painted in Pure White - code 0Q?
The color code is c9a
Old 05-31-2022, 10:28 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Vinyl wrap provides some protection, like from tire clag or sand. But it won’t protect against rocks. For that you need PPF like Xpel. My car just has vinyl wrap and seems to be doing ok, but when I redo it over the winter, I’ll add Xpel to the front bumper (my car has the Evo CF one).

I personally would not paint the CF. You lose optionality should you want to expose the CF on the future.

the insides of the doors don’t really need anything. I suppose you could add Xpel there too, but that seems excessive.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:14 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This morning a local body shop owner who specializes in race cars told me that CF is pretty porous, especially as it ages. Applying paint over the CF often results in an uneven surface. Apparently modern paints aren't very effective at hiding surface imperfections.

He recommends vinyl for color and some degree of protection, add PPF if you want better protection.

Note that vinyl wrap is generally about half the thickness of PPF and is more flexible for covering tight compound curves. In those sections where PPF can't cover totally, you can improve the protection with a second layer of wrap.

Quick Reply: Painting CF Panels