Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

transmission fluid change interval

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021 | 11:03 PM
wxq99
Rennlist Member

Default transmission fluid change interval

I am wondering how frequently are you guys changing the transmission fluid. I don't really believe what manual said, 2 year or 10km? Really? I am thinking of every 2 or 4 events.
Old 04-15-2021 | 11:37 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wxq99
I am wondering how frequently are you guys changing the transmission fluid. I don't really believe what manual said, 2 year or 10km? Really? I am thinking of every 2 or 4 events.
Every 2 or 4 events sounds like overkill. I've got the full history on my car and its got over 8k miles on it...and transmission is in great shape and its a 2 year interval.

Keep in mind every time you pull the fluid on the PDK you are replacing the pan...so its going to add up.
Old 04-16-2021 | 03:22 AM
blomman
Instructor

Originally Posted by thuggo
Keep in mind every time you pull the fluid on the PDK you are replacing the pan...so its going to add up.
Can you specify? Sorry english is not my first language
Old 04-16-2021 | 10:35 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blomman
Can you specify? Sorry english is not my first language
My understanding is the floor pan for the PDK is a one and done. Needs to be replaced every time the fluid is swapped.....so its going to add up quick if you are swapping the fluid every 2-4 events.
Old 04-16-2021 | 12:17 PM
blomman
Instructor

Post deleted

Last edited by blomman; 04-16-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2021 | 12:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Just relooked at the Technical manual from Motorsports. Nothing in there about replacing the entire pan, just the normal crush washer stuff for the drain bolts. in fact, you don’t even remove the pan. This is for the 981.

0.3.1 Replacing clutch oil (ATF)
 Open drain plug 2 (picture 0.3.1.1).
 - Drain ATF into a container provided for this purpose.
 - Screw in a new drain plug and tighten with 15 Nm.
 - Open filler plug 1 (figure 0.3.1.1)
 - Fill ATF via the oil filling bore with the hand dosing pump WE 1372 until
ATF escapes.
 - Screw in filler plug and tighten to 27 Nm.

0.3.2 Measuring the transmission oil level (final drive)

Drain the fluid:
 Open both oil drain plugs (fig. 0.3.2.1 and 0.3.2.2)
 Drain oil into a container provided for this purpose.
 Tighten new oil drain plugs, tightening torque 27 Nm

Top up the oil:
With the hand dosing pump WE 1372 fill up the gear oil via the oil filling hole until the gear oil emerges.
Only tighten the filler plug (is only tightened after oil level measurement).
Carry out gearbox oil level measurement (see section 0.3.3).

0.3.3 Changing the final drive fluid
Check oil level:
• Jack car till wheels can run free
• Start the engine
• Engage gear 1 using the manual shift gate
• Allow the transmission to turn at idle speed for two minutes
• Move selector lever to “N”
• Stop the engine
• Wait for ten minutes
• Remove oil filler screw, item 3 (Figure 0.3.2.1)
• If oil runs out, the oil level is correct
• Replace sealing ring, tightening torque of top-up plug 27 Nm
Old 04-17-2021 | 01:48 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Interesting my mechanic runs a few of them and does maint on more than a few was telling me they replace the pan at the 2 year mark changes. *shrugs*
Old 04-19-2021 | 12:29 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

You can drain and fill the pan without replacing it but you only get about 2.5L to 3.0L of the old PDK clutch fluid out by just pulling the pan drain plug. When you drop the pan, you get 4.5L to 5.0L of the old PDK fluid out. Porsche says the pan must be replaced anytime it is removed plus the PDK clutch fluid filter is built into the pan so the only way to change the filter is to replace the pan. Some folks do the drain and fill only but they do it often enough that they are ok with only getting about 60% of the old fluid out each time. The pan is about $350 with the 13 new aluminum screws used when it is replaced. Another option is replace the OEM pan with BRS Billet PDK pan from LN Engineering for about $1300. The BRS pan is reusable and the filter in the pan is serviceable. I do the pan off service after every four HPDE events on the cars we track and once a year on my street cars. We have four PDK cars and I do the service myself with the guidance I found at https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...l-mode.237865/

Jeff
The following 2 users liked this post by jbaker136:
s996 (01-15-2023), wxq99 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-26-2021 | 06:58 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbaker136
You can drain and fill the pan without replacing it but you only get about 2.5L to 3.0L of the old PDK clutch fluid out by just pulling the pan drain plug. When you drop the pan, you get 4.5L to 5.0L of the old PDK fluid out. Porsche says the pan must be replaced anytime it is removed plus the PDK clutch fluid filter is built into the pan so the only way to change the filter is to replace the pan. Some folks do the drain and fill only but they do it often enough that they are ok with only getting about 60% of the old fluid out each time. The pan is about $350 with the 13 new aluminum screws used when it is replaced. Another option is replace the OEM pan with BRS Billet PDK pan from LN Engineering for about $1300. The BRS pan is reusable and the filter in the pan is serviceable. I do the pan off service after every four HPDE events on the cars we track and once a year on my street cars. We have four PDK cars and I do the service myself with the guidance I found at https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...l-mode.237865/

Jeff
You are definitely someone I need to know!
Old 04-26-2021 | 07:40 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

The above procedure doesn’t look like the PDK service. Mentions atf not PDK. Also checking PDK fluid is not fill till it runs our
Old 04-26-2021 | 09:43 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikew968
The above procedure doesn’t look like the PDK service. Mentions atf not PDK. Also checking PDK fluid is not fill till it runs our
The PDK contains two fluids. One fluid is Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 dual clutch transmission fluid (or equivalent DCTF from Motul, Driven etc.) that feeds the wet clutch pack and the valve body. This is the fluid that drains from the transmission "pan" that I reference above and is what I understood the original post was about. The second fluid is Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 (or equivalent from Motul, Driven etc.) that runs in the gear side of the PDK. Porsche often refers to this as "differential" or "Wheel set" fluid. It is just gear oil and is changed by pulling a drain plug (or two in the case of the Cayman PDK) from the bottom of the PDK housing, not the PDK pan. I change this fluid about once a year on cars that I take to the track for DE or TT events and every two years from my cars that do not see any track time. Some people change the gear side more often and I would as well if I actually raced any of my cars. Changing the gear side is a "fill till it flows out the fill hole" process but because the Cayman 981 and newer PDK also has a gear oil cooler, you need to run the car in gear a bit after the initial fill in order to flow through this cooler, and then check again and top off if needed. I hope this helps clear up the "ATF" vs "gear oil" confusion (though the DCTF is not traditional ATF fluid as you know it).

Jeff
mikew968 (04-26-2021), zracer196 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021 | 09:44 AM
zracer196
Racer

The PDK contains two fluids. One fluid is Pentosin Gear Oil FFL 3 dual clutch transmission fluid (or equivalent DCTF from Motul, Driven etc.) that feeds the wet clutch pack and the valve body. This is the fluid that drains from the transmission "pan" that I reference above and is what I understood the original post was about. The second fluid is Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5 (or equivalent from Motul, Driven etc.) that runs in the gear side of the PDK. Porsche often refers to this as "differential" or "Wheel set" fluid. It is just gear oil and is changed by pulling a drain plug (or two in the case of the Cayman PDK) from the bottom of the PDK housing, not the PDK pan. I change this fluid about once a year on cars that I take to the track for DE or TT events and every two years from my cars that do not see any track time. Some people change the gear side more often and I would as well if I actually raced any of my cars. Changing the gear side is a "fill till it flows out the fill hole" process but because the Cayman 981 and newer PDK also has a gear oil cooler, you need to run the car in gear a bit after the initial fill in order to flow through this cooler, and then check again and top off if needed. I hope this helps clear up the "ATF" vs "gear oil" confusion (though the DCTF is not traditional ATF fluid as you know it).

Jeff
Good info...What brand of fluid are you using for the differential fluid?
Old 04-27-2021 | 10:44 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zracer196
Good info...What brand of fluid are you using for the differential fluid?
I use Motul Gear 300 in the gear side of the PDK and Motul DCTF in the clutch side. I also use Motul 300V racing oil in the engine and Castrol SRF brake fluid. The only OEM fluid I use is coolant and the special, Porsche only fluid for my 997.2 Targa AWD controller (clutch pack) I happen to like the Motul fluids and have found their support to be great when I have questions about the correct fluid to use. I don't get to hung up on the brand as there are a lot of good products out there. I don't think you could go wrong with the factory fill from Pentosin and Mobil or any of the fluids from Motul, Driven, Redline, Liqui Moly, etc. as long as they meet the specs you need.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2021 | 11:17 AM
zracer196
Racer

I use Motul Gear 300 in the gear side of the PDK and Motul DCTF in the clutch side. I also use Motul 300V racing oil in the engine and Castrol SRF brake fluid. The only OEM fluid I use is coolant and the special, Porsche only fluid for my 997.2 Targa AWD controller (clutch pack) I happen to like the Motul fluids and have found their support to be great when I have questions about the correct fluid to use. I don't get to hung up on the brand as there are a lot of good products out there. I don't think you could go wrong with the factory fill from Pentosin and Mobil or any of the fluids from Motul, Driven, Redline, Liqui Moly, etc. as long as they meet the specs you need.

Jeff
Great...I am using 300V in the motor...Have not done the PDK yet (it has about 2,000 miles of DE track days on it)...And will use Motul for the diff side...Thanks!!!

I was worried about doing the PDK (clutch side) without a PIWIS computer...I was going to have my shop do that for me.
Old 04-27-2021 | 11:24 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zracer196
Great...I am using 300V in the motor...Have not done the PDK yet (it has about 2,000 miles of DE track days on it)...And will use Motul for the diff side...Thanks!!!

I was worried about doing the PDK (clutch side) without a PIWIS computer...I was going to have my shop do that for me.
I can see why you would want a shop to do the clutch side because of the PIWIS fill procedure, and no harm with that if the shop you use knows what they are doing and has a PIWIS that they will actually bother with using. IMHO, the PDK clutch side fluid is easy to change and can be done without a PIWIS. Drain, fill till it comes out, put in fill plug. Start the car and let the engine idle, hold the clutch fluid cooler pipe until it gets warm (About 3 to 5 min), remove fill plug and top off till fluid runs out again. It is about as simple as the gear oil. You can refer to the planet 9 link previously in this thread and or watch the youtube video on the process if you decide to DIY the clutch fluid as well. Good luck.

Jeff
s996 (01-15-2023), zracer196 (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change interval