Michelin slicks on cold days

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 02:45 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Michelin slicks on cold days

Hi Folks,
First time running Michelin slicks (wife is running them actually, she is the one that got the CS this year). We are heading to Summit Point this weekend for a DE event with SCCA and had planned to take the CS however the weather has turned very cold. The lows are forecast down into the mid to low 20s and the highs in the upper 30s to low 40s. Michelin says min temp for storage is 50F for storage and 59F for transport. My question is, what are people doing on track days with temps below 50 such as this upcoming weekend at Summit? Thanks

Jeff

Old 03-04-2021, 04:04 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
Hi Folks,
First time running Michelin slicks (wife is running them actually, she is the one that got the CS this year). We are heading to Summit Point this weekend for a DE event with SCCA and had planned to take the CS however the weather has turned very cold. The lows are forecast down into the mid to low 20s and the highs in the upper 30s to low 40s. Michelin says min temp for storage is 50F for storage and 59F for transport. My question is, what are people doing on track days with temps below 50 such as this upcoming weekend at Summit? Thanks

Jeff

Can always run streets if you just want to run the car. I've got some RS4's on mine for basic track days right now and I gotta say its still fun...ya a little slower. But they still grip like crazy.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Two options: swap to street tires or buy some tire warmers. We ran a race on MPSCs when it was 30-45 F and they were fine.

the 3rd option is to stay home.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:06 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Two options: swap to street tires or buy some tire warmers. We ran a race on MPSCs when it was 30-45 F and they were fine.

the 3rd option is to stay home.
Luckily we have other cars. Wife will just run her 981 Boxster S that she ran all last season. I will look to pick up a third set of wheels so we can have some PSC2s for situations such as this one. Thanks

Jeff

Old 03-04-2021, 05:59 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran Michelin slicks on my CS several years ago during the morning warm up and 1st stint at the March Chin event at NJMP. Temperatures were in the low 30's (but above freezing). There was "zero" grip for 3-4 laps tip toeing around to get heat in the tires. Nearly had the back end swap places with the front before turn 2 when first entering the track. I switched to a set of street tires after that for the rest of the event. I won't go out on slicks again unless temps are 40 or above. Too risky.

Couple of my buds running Hoosiers called it quits midway through day one because of the cold and lack of grip.
The following users liked this post:
thuggo (03-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Michelin slicks on cold days