Looking for classic 911 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM
pravinpillai
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for classic 911 buying advice

Hi everybody,

Total newbie here. I love cars in general and have an ever growing fascination with classic porsche 911s. I have no experience fixing up cars but I have been investigating options to learn more about tinkering with/building cars recently. The more I have read about the air cooled 911s, the more I am dreaming about owning one.

Now the real newbie question... My budget for a "project" car is about $20K. I need the car to be in running condition as it is my first attempt at learning and fixing things and can't afford to just have a nice art piece sitting in my garage. Any advice on what I can get for this price? Late 70s or early 80s cars with some work required seem to be the closest options. I have looked at tons of websites, sellers and haven't found an ideal one or the ones I have liked have sold in a couple of days before I can pull the trigger. I know there is a HOT demand for these cars recently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to join the lucky porsche 911 owners club soon!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago. I also limited myself to about 20k when looking. You won't find an air cooled 911 for less than 20k that doesn't need a lot of work. I ended up buying a 1999 C2 coupe with a 6-speed for well less than 15k. The car had an electrical issue that I was able to resolve. I have a lot of experience working on all sorts of cars. I also have the tools and garage to work out of. This allowed me to buy a little bit of a project car. In your case, I recommend you also look for a 996 series 911 built from 1999 to 2004. Plan on spending 17 or 18k, or less, and leave the balance in an account to tap later when you need something repaired. I recommend the 1999 specifically for several reasons. They were built for approximately a year and a half beginning in early 1998 and there are a lot of them around. The have a stronger double row IMS bearing, so the probability of failure is low if it hasn't already been changed out on a car you are looking at. There are some other issues including engine case casting flaws and bore scoring, but bore scoring doesn't seem to be quite as common in the 3.4s, at least in cars from warmer weather locations. In addition, the casting flaws probably would have reveled themselves by now. They are also priced a little less than the 2002 - 2004 cars. Read the threads in the 996 section to learn more, then start looking. When you think you have found the right car for you, spend the money to get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). It will cost several hundred dollars, but can save you many thousands if the car has issues. Good luck. Pictures of my car (I just realized that I hadn't installed one of the headlight corner reflectors in the first picture):
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Have you checked the model and price guides published every few months in Excellence magazine?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 AM
pravinpillai
7th Gear

Thanks guys! I have looked at the 996 series. Definitely several out there. I was hoping to get one of the older models with less electronics so I can actually work on the cars and learn but let's see.

Thanks for the tip about Excellence magazine. I didn't know about that.

What do you guys think about Beverly Hills Car Club? http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com They have options for air cooled porsche 911s and sometimes have ones that are in the mid 20s in ok shape. Like this one http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1...upe-c-7063.htm
I don't know much about the engine rebuild here but I was reading up on CIS vs Carbs? not sure I can use this car as a daily driver in Washington state.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

The later air cooled 911s had a lot of electronics too. To get a relatively analog car, you would have to go back to the early 70s or 60s. Those 911s are quite expensive. Putting in another plug for the 996, parts are readily available and there are YouTube videos for most maintenance and repair items. As far as Beverly Hills Car Club, I am somewhat familiar with them. They have been around for a while and they have some interesting cars that pass through their hands. I have looked at some of their offerings over the past several years because I own several 356s and I often look to see what is available on the market. Beverly Hills Car Club will often have a classic car at a very good price, or what appears to be a very good price, that is a recent "barn find". The car comes in, they clean it up, and offer it for sale. Most of those cars are not running and may have significant rust, damage, and missing parts. If you have the time, tools, and skills necessary to restore one of those "inexpensive" cars, then they offer a low price point to initially purchase the car. Eric
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 PM
pravinpillai
7th Gear

Thanks again for the info Eric! Definitely keeping an eye out for a 996 that could work.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 PM
pravinpillai
7th Gear

Here is a 996 that caught my eye: http://www.eurocarscertified.com/200...ra--c-2178.htm
Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

I like it. Asking price is a little high, but it seems that a lot of dealers price these cars just under 20k. I would as if the IMS bearing has been replaced and if they have documentation supporting that. Some of the 2001 cars came with the double row bearing that rarely fails and some came with the later single row bearing which is the one that has an 8+% failure rate. If the IMS bearing has not been changed out, I would plan on doing it immediately since the car has almost 100k miles. If it hasn't been done, use it as a negotiation point. Also get a PPI to make sure the engine is currently sound.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 PM
pravinpillai
7th Gear

Thanks. the sales guy responded to me and mentioned that they will replace the IMS bearing before the sale is complete. so guessing it is on their list to do. definitely will be asking for that if i decide to go ahead. and also a PPI for sure. wish it was closer for me to go take a look. have to decide what to do.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Also ask how many keys they have. Replacement keys are about $500. They can only be coded at a Porsche dealer. It should have at least two keys, although one may be a valet key that does everything except open the center console.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 AM
Cornerlot
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let the naysayers turn you off. There are driveable air-cooled cars for around $20. Look for a targa from the later mid-year (1976-77 to get a galvanized body) or 1978-83 SC era. A coupe could run $5k-$10K more. May need work, but will be driveable if you shop around for a good car. Sure, weak or old paint, worn seats, a few oil drips are all part of the package. The $18k - $25K range should give you some choices if you are willing to search within a day's driving distance. For $30k I saw a very clean SC coupe last fall; rebuilt engine, nice paint and interior.

Steve
Old 04-24-2017, 05:23 PM
AJ99
AutoX

i'm 2 weeks into a 996 A 1999 c2 cab 6 speed. with 97,000 My car came with no history other than a new rear tire and a new water pump. Owner only had for 6 months, and 4 where winter. So far, I think I got a smoking deal. The 50 miles I've put on it is worth every penny. There are work shop manuals to down load, videos you can watch, and join a club for local help. History helps. If from a dealer, check car, spend an hour looking at every thing. Look and look for any damage to the body, jack it up one wheel at a time. Check also if damage below, and leaks. I have a grin from ear to ear when I drive this car.

Quick Reply: Looking for classic 911 buying advice