Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Forum Member Spotlight: Jack Olsen and his Amazing '72 911

Forum Member Spotlight: Jack Olsen and his Amazing '72 911
by Thomas Mabson

Old 03-31-2017, 05:36 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm in the extremely jealous camp about the garage your created, even though I would not know how to use many of the power tools in there. Great 911 as well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks, tgil. And thanks, Rennlist!

My apologies in advance to anyone who thinks I'm overexposed (you're probably right), but I've got a bordering-on-crazy love for my old Porsche, and as values on the early cars increase, I'll hope that a slideshow like this encourages someone, somewhere, to really beat on one of the old cars in the manner for which it was intended, or whatever the expression might be.

And since this thread might be something I can point guys to in the future, I'll put together the videos that have been done about the car (and garage) so far.

Here's a clearer link to the Reenlist slideshow:

Petrolicious made a video about the car back in 2013. It gives a basic introduction to both the car and the garage I put together for it.

Then Auto Bild in Germany did a clip about the car and how I spent years pushing for a better lap time at my home track.

Most recently, I took a stab at making my own video about the thinking behind the garage:

Popular Mechanics did a piece on the garage, too.

So did Hot Rod.

The build history and full specs on the 911 are available online, too.

And if you want to see how an old 911 stacks up to a new GT3 at Willow Springs, Jalopnik did a piece on that. (Disclaimer: even though it's a pro driver setting his best lap in the GT3, it's not an entirely fair comparison. But still. )

I think the important thing about the 911 and my garage is that both were put together on a budget, with a lot of work done by the owner himself. I'm no great shakes with a wrench or a welder, but that's also the point -- if I can do it, then so can you.
The following users liked this post:
The_Backmarker (04-27-2021)
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Mr. Olsen,

I had not heard of you until I bumped into this piece on Rennlist and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. In my mind your 911 and efforts to make it quicker are what motorsport is all about. BTW, the sound of that thing firing up in the garage is just fantastic. That would make a great ringtone!!

Thank You Sir and Best Wishes to You!

D991
Old 04-27-2021, 10:41 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 271 Posts

12-Gauge Garage update! True RL hero

Old 04-27-2021, 05:28 PM
The_Backmarker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack, I really appreciate the fact that you've stuck with the same car for so many years. That, in itself, is pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Forum Member Spotlight: Jack Olsen and his Amazing '72 911