Notices

Cross country - would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross country - would you do it?

Guys.
I got my first 911 less than 6 months ago, a base 991.1. And I'm loving it.
I'm now starting to organize my summer trip and the plan is to spend a few weeks in the corridor Colorado - Utah - Montana.
I have never been to those mountains and the images and YouTube videos are all calling me. I really want to visit those places.
My 911 is my weekend/fun car. My daily is a Audi S4. I enjoy them both immensely, each for its own merits.
We live in the Carolinas so this trip will demand a long stretch to get to Colorado before the fun starts (and another long one to get back home). Would you drive your car there? Or would you ship your car and fly?
Also, which car would you take on this trip? The 911 or the S4? It is going to be only my wife and I so space is not an issue. The 911 has plenty for the two of us.
My inclination is to take the 911. I understand it will make the trip even more special. However, being new to these long distance travels with a Porsche, I was hoping I could learn from you guys. Right now, the old adage "you don't know what you don't know" fits me like a glove here.
Thank you so much for any suggestion.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 PM
sayansanaee
3rd Gear

you only live once! drive it out there. I would personally take the 911 and give it a full detail once I get home.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:40 AM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

All I can say is "Do It!"

I drive our 911's between Colorado and Montana, and Colorado and Arizona every year.

One suggestion: Please don't miss Beartooth Pass from Red Lodge, MT into Yellowstone Park. Of course, Going to the Sun road in Glacier Nt'l Park and Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain Nt'l Park are worth it too.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 PM
pprj
Advanced

Thank you guys.
I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:45 PM
pprj
Advanced

This is my planned itinerary so far.

Trail Ridge, Beartooth and Going to the Sun are included.

The first image is the whole trip. Any suggestions on the best route north from Salt Lake? I didn't invest too much time on that part.

The south is ok it seems - with Colorado and Utah.

Here the south in detail.

And the north part.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:17 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

DRIVE!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 PM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just a thought.......there's not much appealing about I-15 in a Porsche. You might consider cutting across to some 2 lane roads instead. US89 / US287 are options. You could drive through the Tetons, or around them and catch the museums in Cody, WY before crossing Beartooth Pass.

I've done drives through the Rockies for the last 40 years. I haven't been on ALL the roads, but I've seen a lot of 'em.

PM me if you want any more discussion.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Great adventure plan and route. Take the 911 for sure.

And you have one of the most awe-inspiring roads on your route: US 550 from Ouray to Silverton, AKA the Million Dollar Highway. Just keep your eyes on the road (and watch your speed).

Great dining in Durango (my town), with OK mid-tier hotels.

If you have time, a detour to Mesa Verde NP provides stunning examples of ancient cliff dwellings, and another entertaining drive.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tips:
1. Get Ghost Shield installed before you go, to protect your paint.
2. Make sure you have a radar detector (I highly recommend Valentine V1)
3. Use the Waze app
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Mark78
AutoX

DRIVE!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

WOW! What a great post.

First of all you WON'T be taking you P-car off road!!!!

Second, take the time to spend a "spin" through Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. My wife and I live less than an hour there and the suggestion of "Trail Ridge Road". Must see, however, DO IT FROM THE "Grand Lake" side of the road.

If you travel Trail Ridge Road (TRR) from the Estes park side (by Denver) you will find yourself in "gobs" of traffic according to your itinerary. Do yourself a favor (it might add some time to your trip) but GO from Grand Lake! Trust me.....a much better experience and little to no traffic.

Rocky Mt National Park is an INCREDIBLE place. I fly fish here all year long and deal with the traffic....if you can make it work...go on a WEEKDAY (Tues-Thurs).....notice I left out Mon and Fri....

SUGGESTION: If you go EITHER route...do yourself a favor and see Bear Lake. If the Park-N-Ride is full drive up there anyway...there are a few places to park on the side. Well worth it. On your way down or up, take a LUNCH at Sprague Lake.....if you think parking is bad just take the "left" turn after crossing the bridge towards the horse stables. Usually PLENTY of parking and you can walk the 1/8 mile to Sprague lake and not have a headache.

Best of luck on your trip!......if you would like some other suggestions in RMNP....PLEASE let me know.......this National Park is something that should not be missed! PLAN for some time for photos and exploring!

Quick Reply: Cross country - would you do it?